Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Jumping from one low quality lens to another for $180? I don't think so. Save hard, buy less but buy better.
Save hard, buy less but buy better and use more!

10-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ehlacore Quote
... Pentax FA 28mm-105 3.2-4.5 for $140 ...
This might be worth a look, if you need the extra 25mm focal length. Is he selling it at $140, or your lens +$140? Dun think you should go for the tammy though.
10-21-2010, 11:29 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I suggest figuring out what focal length and range of zoom you want, and then checking the lens reviews on this website. Read through all of them. Narrow down your choices to a select few lenses that fit your needs. Then, check the marketplace here, eBay, and other places until you find a deal on one that you'd really like.

Otherwise, you'll just end up with dissapointment in your viewfinder everytime you use that impulse-buy lens that you should have read about before buying.
10-21-2010, 11:29 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by knyghtfall Quote
This might be worth a look, if you need the extra 25mm focal length. Is he selling it at $140, or your lens +$140? Dun think you should go for the tammy though.
I:m seeing him today. Its $140 flat out.

I:m kinda starting to lean toward the Sigma only because it seems to go 4mm less and 15 mm more range. But this could just be numbers that dont matter and the Pentax is really a better buy.

(I will admit that Sigma lens is HUGE!!!!!!!!!!! It prolly looks cool using it but not that pratical lol)

Please give me your advice as I see him soon :-(

10-21-2010, 11:33 PM   #20
Veteran Member

It prolly looks cool using it but not that pratical lol)
I've never looked at another photographer and thought they looked cool because they had a larger lens.

Please give me your advice as I see him soon :-(
Read the comments in this thread. Plenty of advice here already.
10-21-2010, 11:58 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
I've never looked at another photographer and thought they looked cool because they had a larger lens.
I:m not saying its a big plus to me, it just looks cool and macho... kinda like an old GTO... not very pratical, but very sexy.

Read the comments in this thread. Plenty of advice here already.
Well I:m kinda torn.... I feel like what I said in the comment (as you were posting yours ironically) would leave me to believe the Sigma is a better buy. But of course I:m not so well versed in the factors that aren:t in front of my face... lower aperture ratings best right? well the sigma is lower.... larger range would be more versitile right? well the sigma offers 4mm under and 15 over...

They both offer the same auto focus and they are both the same price...

I:m just nervous that the Pentax is actually better due to some feature or fact that only experienced people would know... like if the blades leak oil (not sure if thats an actual problem im just trying to say I dont know if theres something im missing)
10-22-2010, 12:01 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Ok, so what happens if you wait a few days and spend some time reading reviews? Why is it so urgent that you have to have a new lens ASAP?

10-22-2010, 12:58 AM   #23

Original Poster
Ok, so what happens if you wait a few days and spend some time reading reviews? Why is it so urgent that you have to have a new lens ASAP?
I dont know really, I just feel that I'm missing shots and that every shot is important. Even though I am an amateur I still think there's a chance I could miss that one special shot with the wrong equipment.

For example my friend went to a nearby island and took the most amazing pictures. If he didn't have his equipment up to par they would would have suffered some. He will never go to that Island again.

I'm only in Japan for a few more months, I dont want to miss any chances as I will not come to any of these places again.
10-22-2010, 01:28 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I'm only in Japan for a few more months
Ah! Now I understand the rush. Good luck finding a lens that does the trick for you, and remember to post up some of those shots you don't miss.

I still think there's a chance I could miss that one special shot with the wrong equipment.
You at least have the kit lens right?