Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Prime Mover?

I have been pondering a lens purchase for a little while now having convinced myself that despite having the great flexibility that my zOOOms offer me – from 10-300mm uninterrupted - I am now missing something that I had in the days of film where I feel I enjoys photography more.

I used to take my use my Tamron 24 and 135’s and a 55mm just about everywhere supplemented by a 70-300mm zoom. The only lens I wished for then was a 28mm for when 24 was just too wide.

I still have the 24 & 135 now supplemented by an SP90 macro and an A50 f1.7. (Ignoring the zooms)

I wonder whether either the 15 or 21 ltd will bring me some of the enjoyment that I miss.

What is missing? Well the convenience of the zooms mean that I can zoom in and out composing my shots without having to physically move about getting into positions and places that I now miss when using the zooms. Of course I could just do the same with the zoom attached but for some reason I don’t – I don’t have to after all!

The question...........Which one? Are there any of you who have either or both of these who wouldn’t mind sharing opinions / images?

I am leaning towards the 21 mainly because I think it might be more useable in general than the ultra wide perspective of the 15 but................I ain’t so sure................over to you.

Cheers MZ

10-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It will come down to how often you say to yourself 'I wish I had a wider angle' - and how much wider you'd need. 21mm on an APS-C is wide but not ultra-wide. I would perhaps suggest the DA 12-24, which is as close to prime IQ as you'll get for a zoom, yet has the versatility of the range it has and good IQ straight from f/4.

Otherwise if you were looking for compactness, then the DA 15 should get a closer look as the DA 12-24 will take up a lot of space in your bag.
10-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like you I have 10mm to 300mm covered uninterrupted with zooms, and if you take the 1.4x off my 70-200F2.8 and put a 2x on in its place, you could pretty well consider that all the way to 400mm.

This is with 4 zooms, and 2 TCs (all AF) and is the backbonbe of my kit.

I always had some primes, a tammy F2.5 24mm, a K50F1.4, and M100F4 macro but I have found over the last 5 years, I like shooting primes when I have tome and a single task in mind.

as a result, I started by putting together a K mount kit, and except for a 35mm lens, I have 24 through 135mm. I still use my series 1 70-210F3.5 version 1 for my 200mm MF needs because I am waiting for a 200F2.5, but that is another story.

While looking for a suitable 35mm (I really want F2 or faster) I happened on an SMC tak 35F2 for a good price. That got me started on M42 lenses, and I now have all the same focal lengths from 24 through 200mm in screw mount.

I have always tried to be as fast as possible with my primes. BUT, I still have the same holes you have, below 24mm.

I am not sure which lens you should get, but what I did was get an 8mm fisheye. I know it;s a little wider than what you are looking at, but it is lots of fun.

My next lens may be either a 14-15mm prime, in K mount or a 21mm M42 lens. Not sure yet but I am looking at both as the next step
10-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

I believe I replied to this on the other forum so I'll keep it quiet