Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Craig lenses

I can't find anything about these lenses anywhere. A couple have shown up on ebay, including a very cheap short zoom macro, but I despite its price, I'd like to at least know what the animal is before I bring it home. Anybody know anything about it? Google nets me nothing.

10-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My dad bought me one about 20 years ago, probably from a local department store, which I didn't use much and recently re-discovered tucked away at my parents' place (it's a 28-70mm compact zoom as I recall). I plan to offer it for sale on the forums here, after I check out a few things... it's a P-KA/R lens, so it has both the 'A' contact for Pentax and the Ricoh contact, and I need to make sure the Ricoh contact doesn't extend so far it could get the lens stuck on the AF drive screw while mounting/unmounting. It also has a protective cowl around the lens aperture that looks a bit longer than normal (though it doesn't look as long as some I've seen that have had to be removed or ground down), so I need to check it doesn't interfere with mounting it on a modern DSLR. I'm not sure who actually made the lens (if I had to guess I'd say Craig was just a store brand) and I can't remember if it was made in Korea or Japan, but I can check when I get home.

If it mounts/unmounts from my K200D ok, I could take some test pics at some point and post them.
10-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

nater,
Can you add it to the lens reviews? The lens, basic info, and your thoughts on the quality?
10-22-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It's a 35-70mm I saw on ebay, and the only reason I was sort of interested was by its "macro" claim. Although it's hard to imagine it would be up to the macro standards I'm looking for. But if you're interested, it's listed at $15 on ebay right now and not generating much interest ...

10-22-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Zoom lenses that have 'macro' on them should typically say 'close focus' instead, since they are not the same thing as, say, a 100mm macro prime lens that can reproduce a scene 1:1 (that is to say that the image projected on the film/sensor is life-size). If you look at those 'macro' zoom lenses, they often have a ratio of 1:4 (the image projected on the film/sensor will be 25% of life size), so not in the same class as a macro prime lens at all (especially when you factor in actual f-stop at full zoom + macro focussing). Better to think of these 1:4 'macro' zooms as lenses that have a close focus ability.

If you keep your eyes open, you can occasionally find deals on 1:1 macro lenses for under $100 on the used market that will have better magnification, resolution, contrast, and lower distortion than a close focus zoom.
10-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ahhh. Very helpful. Keep an eye on that 1:1 thing. Thank you so much.