Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2010, 05:14 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
One old guy's opinion here, but birds and AF don't work for me. A bird in the bush causes the AF to focus beautifully on the bush, ignoring the bird. AF is not as selective as manual focus. I want the lens to focus on what I want in focus, and AF cannot be relied upon to do that. For Birds In Flight, AF works because nothing is in the lens but the bird, but in most cases the AF lens will focus on a nice sharp edge rather than the animal, bird or whatever.
I'm with Rocky on this 100 percent. We old guys learned a good, fast MF technique back in the day, and it still serves us better than AF most of the time. Sure, you can get the occasional sharp shot with AF, but if you are confident, practiced and comfortable with MF, you'll get nearly every shot tack sharp, and at low f-stop numbers (such as f-2.8), the eye will be the sharpest focus. AF can't read your mind. If the scene is simple, with nothing around or in front of the intended object, AF is fine, but that's rarely the case with wildlife.

10-24-2010, 01:03 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I would have to question where you are heading,

if I had an A300F2.8 i would certainly use it, most likely with the 1.7x AF TC

I p[resently use the TC with my K300F4 and the A300F2.8 woould give just enough more light to make me happy.

If you don;t like that combo, I doubt you will be happy with anything else in your post.

While all fast lenses are shallow DOF, you don't always use them wide open.

As to MF or AF, if you are shooting through branches (wildlife) AF is really hard to use because it will focus on everything in the line of sight not what you are fixated on.

just my $0.02. BTW if you really don't use the A300F2.8 send me a PM I moght be interested.
I own both the 300 * that the 2 x-L and also the 1.7 x.

All never used, the 300 mm was a guy who has bought, used once, and left there because it was too heavy for him, since he was climbing mountains.

The box to store the modified its equipment and left the 300 mm there on scafale.

I've bought and made clean, it seems new, but I didn't ever consė as usao, il1, 7 x taken by Tom, new, new

Certain things I love them

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I have seen hundreds of threads in this forum where somebody wants advice on which lens is best for them. Almost none of the OPs include a word about their REQUIREMENTS. Without that, there is no solution because the problem is not defined.
Examples;
- Will your subjects be in motion? AF is a great help (I use the AF 1.7x TC when AF is required).
- Will you have to carry it far? Weight comes into play.
- Using a 2x TC with its 2-stop penalty means the faster lens will be required for high shutter speeds if you normally shoot against dark backgrounds.
- Will you need a zoom or will you typically just max the telephoto anyway?
- How much zoom do you need? Counting on a 2x TC means planning on leaving a noticable chunk of IQ behind.

If you don't know where you want to go....any road will get you there. Try asking this question again along with exactly what you want to do with the lens. The Forum has a thread just to discuss super telephoto lenses if you want to post your question and requirements there

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/55946-300mm-pl...lenses-53.html

btw, I use the A*400/2.8 with 1.4xL, 1.7xAF and 2xL TCs. If it were a 100-400mm lens I would still shoot at 400mm all the time.
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I understand your opinion, nobody can know what is best for. ..
Nobody has the ball of glass, I would like to know, say, what is the best among them??

Your points, are interesting, the weight I'm not interested,

Use a TC x 2, only if it is short, but I think the 1.4 x-l is the ideal on a 400 mm. max hauls the 600 mm is what I want, but the advantage of a 400 bright, it also allows you to use ilx2 in desperate cases and get to 800 mm.

I think that if I even I, a 100-400 I userei always at 400 mm, but I think it is more versatile, not always you can take to 400 mm on everything.