Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yyyzzz Quote
My LBA is just out of hand for the moment. So I was trying to find people who are more sane/rational than me and could give me more rationales one way or another. I thought that there might be some special secrets about FA43 that I did not know.

Thanks all.

BTW, I am shifting my focus to DAL35. While DAL35 is not small, it is very light and seems to have good IMQ (based on what I have read so far). More importantly, it would be reasonably cheap. I would not mind getting a DA70, however.

DA40 is truly truly tempting. But I already have the M40 which is not bad at all. I am fine with MF.

How much do I wish that Pentax could provide more support for its older M and K series lenses as Nikon starts doing.
since when did LBA became a rational thing?

I'm not sure of why you want the FA43 in the first place or if you have a need for it to fill a certain gap or need for that particular focal length, and I'm not aware of you lens setup right now. but if you have something missing along the line, I think the best lens would be the DAL 35 right now in terms of budget and flexible focal length.

10-21-2010, 05:15 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The DAL 35mm 2.4 looks to be the new version of the plastic fantastic. Photos from the first users - frank - show the quality and sharpness of the lens. I can't agree more that it will be a great lens to own.

I have the FA43, but I also do not use it anymore. It's a great lens and is nice and compact, but the focal length is just a tad too long for my tastes. I'm actually back to using my Sigma 18-50 2.8 because it's the only lens I have that can shoot at 35mm and is faster than the kit lens (version mark I, not mark II or WR).
10-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
since when did LBA became a rational thing?

I'm not sure of why you want the FA43 in the first place or if you have a need for it to fill a certain gap or need for that particular focal length, and I'm not aware of you lens setup right now. but if you have something missing along the line, I think the best lens would be the DAL 35 right now in terms of budget and flexible focal length.
LBA requires proper planning, sort of a Lens Road Map if you will.
10-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
Not if you're shooting fully open - the FA 43 fully open can't compete in terms of resolution and contrast with the FA 35 fully open. Otherwise, yes.

The FA 31 fully open is definitely better than the FA 43. Some would also the FA 31 has the edge in bokeh as well.
Sorry, but the FA35/2 wide open is not that good, despite what some tests may say - I had one. It suffers badly in IQ any wider than f/2.5. The FA43 is good at f/2.2, and usable wide open. It is the reason I sold all of my 50's (except the bargain A50/1.7) - even a very nice F50/1.4 (which really was the best AF 50). I've never used a 50/1.2, however, but the FA43 has better sharpness and color than the others. It's better than the combination of F50/1.7 and FA35/2 - as I said, I sold both of those.

The FA31 is so different from any other lens I've used you just have to decide what you want (I have both now). The FA31 takes a lot of work (at least for me) to get what you want out of it, whereas the FA43 is just straightforward - take a shot and it makes the best of what you took. And it's true that there's almost no loss of IQ with the FA31 wide open. Of course, the FA31 challenges me, but that's not so bad. Now that I have one, I understand why I've seen so many uninteresting photos taken with it. But used just right, it can do what few lenses can.

We've had beautiful stormy weather here in Southern California the last few days - I think I need to go out right now and wrestle with my FA31 a little just before sunset (I'll also have my DA15 and FA43 with me in case the struggle gets too bad).

10-21-2010, 06:18 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Because it is uber versatile, sharp when wanted, sympathetic when needed. Peerless build quality, small and light...
All with K20D

ISO 100 @ f10

ISO 800 @ f6.3

ISO 800 @ f4

ISO 320 @ f2.8

ISO 1250 @ f2

10-21-2010, 08:17 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Sorry, but the FA35/2 wide open is not that good, despite what some tests may say - I had one. It suffers badly in IQ any wider than f/2.5. The FA43 is good at f/2.2, and usable wide open. It is the reason I sold all of my 50's (except the bargain A50/1.7) - even a very nice F50/1.4 (which really was the best AF 50). I've never used a 50/1.2, however, but the FA43 has better sharpness and color than the others. It's better than the combination of F50/1.7 and FA35/2 - as I said, I sold both of those.

The FA31 is so different from any other lens I've used you just have to decide what you want (I have both now). The FA31 takes a lot of work (at least for me) to get what you want out of it, whereas the FA43 is just straightforward - take a shot and it makes the best of what you took. And it's true that there's almost no loss of IQ with the FA31 wide open. Of course, the FA31 challenges me, but that's not so bad. Now that I have one, I understand why I've seen so many uninteresting photos taken with it. But used just right, it can do what few lenses can.

We've had beautiful stormy weather here in Southern California the last few days - I think I need to go out right now and wrestle with my FA31 a little just before sunset (I'll also have my DA15 and FA43 with me in case the struggle gets too bad).
maybe you got a lemon for the FA35. mine works great at f2 doing a few highkey portraits. I think there was one other complaint about the FA35 but that was more of user error, although I don't dismiss the fact that there might be 1 in a 1,000 copy that turn out a dud once in a while.

truly the FA31 is different and needs some a bit of work. this is also the difference between the FA31 and FA35. I can use the FA35 straight out if I want to. as for wanting an FA31, it's more because of a wider FOV and some bokeh-tastic results. other than that, the FA35 can stand on it's own. same as FA43. the only difference between the 2, the FA43 seems sharper.
10-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Wide Open

FA43mm Ltd

FA35 f2

For grins and giggles, the DA35 f2.8

All were taken wide open, auto focused, on a tripod. The tripod position was not changed (forward or backward). Av Mode and Auto white balance. The In camera JPG processing is Portrait because it doesn't do any sharpening or contrast adjustments. Just leaves things natural. The gray blob in the background is a gray card. These are all straight from the camera aside from renaming them to ID the lens used.

10-21-2010, 10:51 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
maybe you got a lemon for the FA35. mine works great at f2 doing a few highkey portraits. I think there was one other complaint about the FA35 but that was more of user error, although I don't dismiss the fact that there might be 1 in a 1,000 copy that turn out a dud once in a while.

truly the FA31 is different and needs some a bit of work. this is also the difference between the FA31 and FA35. I can use the FA35 straight out if I want to. as for wanting an FA31, it's more because of a wider FOV and some bokeh-tastic results. other than that, the FA35 can stand on it's own. same as FA43. the only difference between the 2, the FA43 seems sharper.
Your comments are helpful and I agree with most of them - especially the ones about the FA31, and how the FA35 is easier to use (I think that's what you meant). But the FA43 is the sharpest and has the most vivid colors with a slight, pleasant "glow."

I doubt I had a bad copy of the FA35 - I actually had two (one for only a short time) and as I recall there was a significant loss of color and contrast in low-light situations at wider than f/2.8 - especially at f/2.2 or f/2. The comparisons above of the FA43, DA35/2.8 Macro, and FA35 are pretty representative, I think. If they were all shot at f/2.8 I think the FA35 would be close to the DA35 macro, but it would probably still be the FA43, followed by the DA35 macro (not sure, haven't owned one) and then the FA35 close behind. But the FA35 will sure lose wide open (which is appropriate, considering its original selling price), as you can see even in these examples.

I should probably add that the FA35 I had longer was the Samsung version, which I got new. I think it was a good lens - just disappointing that for optimum images, in practice it wasn't much faster than my f/2.8 primes. This is why I think the DA35/2.4 is so promising - it's not trying to be a so-so wide open performer at f/2. If you ask me, I think Pentax noticed the same characteristics I did, plus they didn't want it to appear so close to the FA31 on paper.

Last edited by DSims; 10-21-2010 at 11:04 PM.
10-21-2010, 11:25 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I will be getting the fa43 as soon as my b&h $200 gift voucher turns up.
I have a A50 f/1.7, dont get me wrong, its a fantastic lens but when i use it i often wish it was a fraction wider and sometimes wish it was AF. So the fa 43ltd will suit me well.

So thats my reason for wanting to get one, i also have a fa77ltd that i love, and the fa43ltd will pair up nicely with that.
10-21-2010, 11:37 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Your comments are helpful and I agree with most of them - especially the ones about the FA31, and how the FA35 is easier to use (I think that's what you meant). But the FA43 is the sharpest and has the most vivid colors with a slight, pleasant "glow."

I doubt I had a bad copy of the FA35 - I actually had two (one for only a short time) and as I recall there was a significant loss of color and contrast in low-light situations at wider than f/2.8 - especially at f/2.2 or f/2. The comparisons above of the FA43, DA35/2.8 Macro, and FA35 are pretty representative, I think. If they were all shot at f/2.8 I think the FA35 would be close to the DA35 macro, but it would probably still be the FA43, followed by the DA35 macro (not sure, haven't owned one) and then the FA35 close behind. But the FA35 will sure lose wide open (which is appropriate, considering its original selling price), as you can see even in these examples.

I should probably add that the FA35 I had longer was the Samsung version, which I got new. I think it was a good lens - just disappointing that for optimum images, in practice it wasn't much faster than my f/2.8 primes. This is why I think the DA35/2.4 is so promising - it's not trying to be a so-so wide open performer at f/2. If you ask me, I think Pentax noticed the same characteristics I did, plus they didn't want it to appear so close to the FA31 on paper.

Yes that's what I meant easier to use. with regards to color vividness, that could be the difference between the FA35 and FA43. the FA43 color, I could agree on. I don't think the sharpness at f2 is a problem since I haven't seen it in my copy.dunno if the MIJ has something to do with it. I always though that the FA43 is the tweaked version of the FA35. too bad it's focal length has given me a lot of indecisiveness.

your copy which was the Samsung would had probably had an effect on it as well, eventhough they may actually be the same lens with the same optical qualities, there would be variations. this is the same variations that we could had seen with the Tokina and ViVitar 90 macros and 105mm Kiron, Lester and ViVitar lenses which had shown some degree of differences as well.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 10-22-2010 at 12:51 AM.
10-22-2010, 12:36 AM   #26
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
Not if you're shooting fully open - the FA 43 fully open can't compete in terms of resolution and contrast with the FA 35 fully open. Otherwise, yes.

The FA 31 fully open is definitely better than the FA 43. Some would also the FA 31 has the edge in bokeh as well.
As owner of both 31 and 43 I'll chime in: 31 has definitely better bokeh, full stop. FA31 has better corner sharpness and more even sharpness distribution, full stop. FA43 smokes 31 out in centre resolution at ANY f stop, yes even wide open, full stop.
10-22-2010, 12:51 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
As owner of both 31 and 43 I'll chime in: 31 has definitely better bokeh, full stop. FA31 has better corner sharpness and more even sharpness distribution, full stop. FA43 smokes 31 out in centre resolution at ANY f stop, yes even wide open, full stop.
therefore, you need to own both, full stop.
10-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #28
Veteran Member

The 43 fully open seems to perform a lot better in real life than the test results show.(not as good as the fa35) It does have field curvature issues that may affect results. The thing that the 43 struggles with is high contrast backgrounds wide open. On the other hand the pixie dust at f4 is fantastic!
10-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #29
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well each FA ltd has been reported to suffer wide open in high contrast scenes. I personally haven't seen much of the PF and rendition issues with any of the lenses but then again I don't often shoot wide open.
10-22-2010, 05:43 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 77 suffers the worst from pf in high contrast scenes, makes up everywhere else though. Have not seen any in the stuff I've taken with the 43.