Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2010, 07:13 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Because it is uber versatile, sharp when wanted, sympathetic when needed. Peerless build quality, small and light...
All with K20D

http://robbiecc.smugmug.com/Photography/SMCP-FA-43-Limited-F19/IMGP3979b/712710159_u5RAn-L.jpg
Wow, this looks like my dog. He does that kind of stuff also.

10-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
The 77 suffers the worst from pf in high contrast scenes, makes up everywhere else though. Have not seen any in the stuff I've taken with the 43.
Interesting. . . I find it opposite for me. I've never seen any PF with my 77, but occasionally get it with the 43.
10-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Interesting. . . I find it opposite for me. I've never seen any PF with my 77, but occasionally get it with the 43.
photozone did their review of it and forced it to pf intentionally and then reviewed the DA 70 but didn't do the same torture test with it so the urban legend got started about the FA 77mm. Even the latest Zeiss Planar T* 85mm/1.4 AF made for the Alpha system to replace the Minolta 85/1.4 GD and be susceptible to some pf in those same conditions. The fact is, the FA 77/1.8 ltd has Ghostless Coating and F.R.E.E. design which makes it a versatile lens on film AND digital bodies.
10-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Here's an interesting shot (to me anyway) I took with the 43mm. I did play with curves a bit to enhance contrast, but that is all. With that said, if you tried a 43mm and didn't like it, it may not be for you.

10-23-2010, 09:53 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Here's an interesting shot (to me anyway) I took with the 43mm. I did play with curves a bit to enhance contrast, but that is all. With that said, if you tried a 43mm and didn't like it, it may not be for you.
Nick, are you sure that you only just played with the contrast? the photo seems cartoony?
10-24-2010, 02:05 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yyyzzz Quote
I have a bunch of 50mm lenses, such as A50/1.2, F50/1.7, and A50/1.4... Why should I get a FA43? What is the advantage of getting a FA43 other than feeling more proud?
I am sorry, but I am not going even to try. If you yourself don't know why would you need a lens, it makes no sense to try to convince you otherwise. You have some very fine glass in this focal length segment that can yield wonderful pictures. Given that you have 3 lenses, you effectively have double back up, so in sooth there is no real need to buy FA 43 here.
10-24-2010, 02:35 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Saturation?

Thanks for the comment. Agreed, the saturation seems high. How is the result of the Ricoh 300mm APO?

10-24-2010, 05:16 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
Nick, are you sure that you only just played with the contrast? the photo seems cartoony?
I had saturation set to +1 in camera, but have not changed it otherwise. I adjusted the curves up and down, as it was originally slightly under-exposed. But the "cartoonishness" or "otherworldliness" was there to begin with. I am not sure how that happened, but I have never had a similar result with any other lens.

XXXYYY, still haven't had a chance to take the 300mm XR out for another spin. Soon, I hope.
10-24-2010, 09:29 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I had saturation set to +1 in camera, but have not changed it otherwise. I adjusted the curves up and down, as it was originally slightly under-exposed. But the "cartoonishness" or "otherworldliness" was there to begin with. I am not sure how that happened, but I have never had a similar result with any other lens.

XXXYYY, still haven't had a chance to take the 300mm XR out for another spin. Soon, I hope.
I see. is this a regular phenomenon? I had similar kind of pop (cartoony illustration) with the FA35. although the FA35 displays a different bokeh compared to that of the FA43. the difference is that I didn't do any adjustments. hope to find those images again if they are still around.