Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Any help with the Sears Auto 80-200mm??

Anyone have any experience with a Sears Auto 80-200 1:4.0. this thing is throwing me for a loop. No matter what I do I cant get focus except in the (aprox) 4 to 10 ft range

I have tried with it in and out of macro setting... I figure it prob wont focus closer than 4 ft, that doesnt bother me... but the fact that I cant focus on anything more than 10 ft away does. I have tried and tried with this lens and I am about to give up on it. I like my 60-300 just fine.

Any help before I get rid of this bugger??

10-21-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CEWren Quote
Anyone have any experience with a Sears Auto 80-200 1:4.0. this thing is throwing me for a loop. No matter what I do I cant get focus except in the (aprox) 4 to 10 ft range

I have tried with it in and out of macro setting... I figure it prob wont focus closer than 4 ft, that doesnt bother me... but the fact that I cant focus on anything more than 10 ft away does. I have tried and tried with this lens and I am about to give up on it. I like my 60-300 just fine.

Any help before I get rid of this bugger??
It's possible the front barrel has simply come loose or been maladjusted, throwing off the front group. One'd have to look at it to be sure. When you say 'In and out of macro setting,' this may also mean that there's a separate movement in there for closer-focus that simply isn't returning all the way to normal as well.

(A lot of things were called 'Macro' but four feet close focus for a lens of that type really wouldn't be very bad in those days. I've a little Kiron of that range which goes no closer. (surveying little collection of third-party zooms of that sort. Yep, they'd call closer than 4.5 feet 'Macro' on lenses like that routinely. (Marketing, that: not one of the photo industry's prouder moments, if you asked me) That much is likely is nothing broken. ) Not focusing at the long end probably simply means it's not getting there, though. It's possible to have this not work by a couple of means. The simplest being you may not be all the way out of any 'macro' setting if there is said separate movement. Next simplest being the lens was cleaned or twisted and not put back in alignment.

Can we see a photo of the lens? Sears put their brand name on a lot of things.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 10-21-2010 at 10:30 PM.
10-22-2010, 06:21 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
that sounds like it could be the problem (not getting out of macro)

I can grab a better pic of the lens today and post it, this is just what I have already..
10-22-2010, 06:26 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster

10-22-2010, 06:29 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
you can also see it in this pic:

its in the middle

for now thats all I have. after my LO goes to bed tonight I could upload more... would love to see what the lens can do, but not sure at all how to go about fixing the problem (if there is one) and was hoping it was just operators error (although I think I tried just about everything)
10-22-2010, 06:32 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
hope its ok I use this... it was a lens sold on the marketplace. if its not ok I will take it down, just let me know

its just like this one

10-22-2010, 09:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

OK, I just diddled with mine. (I'm putting it and its three Sears and Albinar twin cousins up for sale this weekend. I own too many mid-level manual zooms I don't use.) Just above the base is the aperture ring, then the Macro ring. With the base facing left, I grab the aperture ring with thumb-and-fingers of my left hand, and the Macro ring with thumb-and-fingers of my right hand, and I twist them in opposite directions. Turning the Macro ring TOWARDS me locks it into Macro position. Turning the Macro ring AWAY from me, and the aperture ring towards me, unlocks the Macro setting. Give that a try, eh?

10-23-2010, 05:40 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
yup. just tried again to make sure I had done exactly that, and still not right... I am guessint its not going the whole way out of "macro" mode? ugh

my other zoom has a fringe problem, so it would be nice if this one worked the way it is suppose to... ah, at least they were dirt cheap

saw a zoom I passed up at that yardsale i got the 50 1.7 for 4$. guess I should have grabbed that up. Darn it
12-08-2010, 11:14 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I cannot MACRO with the Sears 80-200 mm f4 MACRO zoom

I bought this lens in the bay thing andI cannot macro. The manual says that to use the macro feature you should: 1) Rotate the macro ring all the way to the right so that the green dot on the Macro ring appears on top of the lens (THIS NEVER HAPPENS IN MY LENS- I does not move beyond certain point). In this position, the vertical line of the lens and macro ring are in line. 2) To put the lens into minimum focus, rotate the zoom ring (the outter most part that slides over the macro ring) to the extreme right so tha tthe green arrow mark on zoom ring is aligned with the green vertical line on macro ring. You are suppose to take pictures within the focus range of 1.5 ft to 4.1 feet by simply sliding zoom ring forward or backward (never happens, never pass step 1). 3) to put the lens into infinite position for macro rotate zoom ring to the extreme left so that the infinite mark is aligned with the macro index (never happened). I heard somewhere that you have to cut the pin showing in the K mount to avoid this, does anyone know? Thanks, Pepe. Please respond before I trow it away and write a nasty review on the sellers feedback (which can be one of yours
12-08-2010, 11:27 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
OK, I just diddled with mine. (I'm putting it and its three Sears and Albinar twin cousins up for sale this weekend. I own too many mid-level manual zooms I don't use.) Just above the base is the aperture ring, then the Macro ring. With the base facing left, I grab the aperture ring with thumb-and-fingers of my left hand, and the Macro ring with thumb-and-fingers of my right hand, and I twist them in opposite directions. Turning the Macro ring TOWARDS me locks it into Macro position. Turning the Macro ring AWAY from me, and the aperture ring towards me, unlocks the Macro setting. Give that a try, eh?
Thank you, I just did that (I was afraid I was going to break it) and it happened, it locked into macro and can take wonderful close ups between 1.5 and 4.1 feet, that is not macro at all, but pics are ok. THanks, i thought I had lost $24 I paid for the lens. If anyone is out there looking for one, do not buy it!!
12-09-2010, 11:44 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This lens is wonderful. What would I do without this forum?
12-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
This lens is wonderful. What would I do without this forum?
I have learned so much here that I sent in some money. Become a site supporter! And I also decided to keep this lens, the version with the A-type base, while I sold my copies with the M-type, M42, and Nikon bases. It really is a very decent lens! Especially for the US$9 I paid for it.

Some of the earlier generation manual zoom lenses that were advertised as MACRO-ZOOM had tricky ways of going into and out of macro mode. I do not use my Vivitar Series 1 Version 1 70-210/3.5 enough, so I often forget just how to switch in and out of macro. Maybe I should tape instructions onto each old manual zoom.