Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2007, 10:48 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
opinions on Zenitar 16mm f2.8 Fisheye

I'd like to get the pentax or sigma fisheye, but both are a bit more than I'd like to spend, and I read someone on another site say they like the zenitar fisheye a lot. Did a bit of searching on ebay, and see that they are pretty inexpensive relative to the big boys... I really would like to play a bit with a fisheye and like that this lens is relatively wide compared to my other lenses (granted the kit lens is roughly equal, but it is not as fast). So if you know of how sharp the zenitar is or know of it's flair resistance or whatever else I should know, I'd greatly appreciate your input. Thanks in advance!

09-14-2007, 12:57 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I've only had my Zenitar for a month or two, but I've been very happy with it. Well worth the $140 or so I paid for it. It's very sharp in the center, a little soft near the edges, and has a moderate amount of blue-yellow chromatic aberration. Didn't notice any flare problems, but haven't used it much in bright sunlight. There is some soft focus effect at f/2.8 and mine sometimes jams while turning the focus ring.

Here's a couple of links that will have more useful info:
Zenitar 16 FE- presentation and samples: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review (look for the Jonas B posts)
Zenitar 16mm f/2.8 Fisheye
Zenitar 16mm Fisheye
09-14-2007, 03:22 AM   #3
Inactive Account

A word of warning. The links state this, but it might be worth emphasizing it here.

A 16mm fisheye will not be circular on a small sensor digital camera. You will only get the full effect with a film camera or full sized digital sensor camera.

If you are looking for something with a more pronounced fisheye effect, then go for the Pentax fisheye zoom. It isn't circular, but at 11mm, will definitely give you that fisheye effect, not to mention it will be 180 degree field of view. You also get up to 17mm, which allows you to dial in the amount of distortion you want.

An 8mm Peleng circular fisheye would be best on a small digital sensor camera if your trying to maximize your circular effect.

Experiences with the Peleng 3.5/8 mm Fisheye

Last edited by Chako; 09-14-2007 at 04:48 AM.
09-14-2007, 03:46 AM   #4

Here's a sample from the "Z" on the K10D. It handles the flare pretty well, I think.

09-14-2007, 10:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks everyone for your input! I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the Zenitar as it looks like a lens that could be quite fun. If anyone knows of other fisheyes to consider, feel free to post them! But regardless, this site has been great to get an idea of how the water is before I leap in! Karma points to all of you!
09-14-2007, 03:54 PM   #6
Inactive Account

The Zenitar is great! The mm is close to the kit, (16 vs 18) but the field of view is much closer to the 14mm - fisheyes are generally much wider than their rectilinear counterparts.

I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one - I used it in Yosemite quite a bit, worked great! I did notice a bit of flare in very bright sun, but nothing that couldn't be edited out later.
09-15-2007, 06:00 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Zenitar MC 16mm. It's a lovely lens for the money but there can sometimes be some quality issues.

The lens coating on mine is not great and there seems to be a scratch on the coating. This was how it came from the manufacturer.
Also keep an eye on that lens hood. If you lose it you cannot replace it! Mine rests in the River Humber now after it sprung off.

Other than that it's a fine lens and gives a good performance for the money.

On a Pentax with the 1.5x crop it will give you a 24mm FOV although it seems wider than this. I've also used it with my 35mm bodies and it's a revelation using it at the true 16mm FOV.

Have fun.

09-16-2007, 01:20 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
woohoo... just ordered mine! hope I don't have to do the infinity modification, but doesn't look too hard to do. anyways, thanks all who provided testimonials! love this site!
09-19-2007, 09:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I ordered mine from Victor at the zenitar_store on ebay or something like that. Decent package and fast shipping.

The Zenitar's fishiness is kinda a double edged sword. Its distortion is sometimes counter productive as it streches people that stray too close to the edge. But you just can't get that wide for the price.

Its pretty good wide open and the colours are good. The biggest bonus of a Zenitar is in close quarters where the fishiness and the large depth of field are a huge bonus. Its my 3rd russian lens and I've not been disappointed yet!
09-20-2007, 07:06 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another positive for Zenitars

I got mine used from a seller on ebay for 80 bucks, and it was pretty much new in the original Russian box. No infinity issues for me, the pictures are tack sharp and very pleasing, though perhaps lacking a bit in contrast.

I have mine on a K100D, and I think my only complaint is actually nailing critical focus with the lens. Sure, it's doggone wide so critical focus isn't a huge issue, but you do have to fish around before the camera will give you the "green light" that you've hit the spot. I've noted that I'll often pass through critical and have to rack back to infinity and make a slow pass down the focus ring before the focus light will come on and stay on. Again, a very small issue with this lens.

And yeah, I'm terrified of losing that proprietary lens cap!

Get one, they're fun!
06-09-2009, 08:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
I got mine used from a seller on ebay for 80 bucks, and it was pretty much new in the original Russian box.
Nice price you got for the Zenitar.
It's kinda hard to find prices like the one you got now.
06-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Don't forget the reviews on this site and the various shots/comments on the "Fisheye Fever" thread:

PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - 16mm f2.8 Fisheye

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/33549-fisheye-...ye-photos.html
Steve

(Zen fan boy...)
06-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Don't forget the reviews on this site and the various shots/comments on the "Fisheye Fever" thread:

PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - 16mm f2.8 Fisheye

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/33549-fisheye-...ye-photos.html
Steve

(Zen fan boy...)
From another Zenitar fanatic

Zenitar 16 FE- presentation and samples: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Daniel
06-09-2009, 05:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I do like mine a alot, although I haven't used it much lately. Depending on the shot there is very little to only moderate FE affect because of the cropped sensor.

Two of my favorite Zenitar FE shots:

Pentax *ist DS ,Zenitar 16mm f/2.8 MC Fisheye
1/500s iso200

1/750s iso400

John
06-09-2009, 07:43 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote
1/750s iso400
I think this is one of the photos that tipped the balance in favor of my Zenitar purchase. I have not done anything quite this nice, but am still happy with the lens!

Here is one (previously posted) that I am pretty happy with:

Steve