06-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The 40mm works well for outdoors shots:

06-26-2011, 10:52 PM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
The DA40 is essentially the M40 without aperture ring.
Just to clarify, it might have the same focal length and similar physical characteristics, but it's a different (superior) optical design, and also has about the fastest AF in the Pentax system.

Part of what I find attractive about 40mm on APS-C is that it helps one focus on just the heart of a scene, cutting out some of extraneous stuff. But not so much that it seems like much of a "telephoto".
06-27-2011, 06:39 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Interesting thoughts on the 40 -

I second Marc's sentiments on the isolation factor of the DA 40 on digital. It does not feel tele, but it's certainly more selective than a "normal" like 35mm, or more, 28mm.

It allows for a more selective composition, which can enhance your photography. IQ is pretty much perfect and AF speed means you will never miss a shot.
06-27-2011, 07:20 AM   #64
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Just to clarify, it might have the same focal length and similar physical characteristics, but it's a different (superior) optical design, and also has about the fastest AF in the Pentax system.

Part of what I find attractive about 40mm on APS-C is that it helps one focus on just the heart of a scene, cutting out some of extraneous stuff. But not so much that it seems like much of a "telephoto".
To add to Marc's comments, the layout and formula are similar but the elements were re-designed for the DA and the rear element of the DA 40 has Ghostless Coating.

M 40/2.8

The re-designed elements of the DA 40/2.8

Compliments of Dimitrov.

06-27-2011, 03:11 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Thanks for the clarification, guys. My point was that the 40 (whether M or DA) is by no means a tele design, yet on APS-C cameras it fills the role of what are called "short teles" on FF. So it's rather like using a Helios-44 on a Spotty, but twice as slow (for DOF equivalence). Oops, did I just open another can of worms? Nice, juicy worms...
06-27-2011, 04:45 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Thanks for the clarification, guys. My point was that the 40 (whether M or DA) is by no means a tele design, yet on APS-C cameras it fills the role of what are called "short teles" on FF. So it's rather like using a Helios-44 on a Spotty, but twice as slow (for DOF equivalence). Oops, did I just open another can of worms? Nice, juicy worms...
I was just out with the kit using it at 40. It's a little tight for a "normal", but it's certainly not tele. I suppose it's at 50mm that things begin to feel tele.
06-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #67
Site Supporter

I agree with you there. Plus, I bet that when the development of the DA 40 started, Pentax was working on the MZ-D.
06-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #68
Pentaxian

Bite, bite.

I'm still stuck on the fact I can shoot through a chain link fence without interference.
Works really well on a micro 4/3 body too.
Would that be sacrilege?

06-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #69
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Bite, bite.

I'm still stuck on the fact I can shoot through a chain link fence without interference.
Works really well on a micro 4/3 body too.
Would that be sacrilege?
I have done that. How can you control the aperture? It does pretty good wide open.
06-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I have done that. How can you control the aperture? It does pretty good wide open.
Courtesy of a fotodiox pk/m43 adapter (which was suggested courtesy of JohnmFlores). All of $30.
The stops aren't marked - its a slide on the adapter body over an internal screw that pokes out and activates the diaphram lever on the lens, but I found I can approximate F4.0 pretty well (compared with stop down aperture on the K-7), and as it is LV, can see the DOF in the monitor. Pretty cool, and a nice tele effect.
But sacrilege for sure.
06-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #71
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Courtesy of a fotodiox pk/m43 adapter (which was suggested courtesy of JohnmFlores). All of $30.
The stops aren't marked - its a slide on the adapter body over an internal screw that pokes out and activates the diaphram lever on the lens, but I found I can approximate F4.0 pretty well (compared with stop down aperture on the K-7), and as it is LV, can see the DOF in the monitor. Pretty cool, and a nice tele effect.
But sacrilege for sure.
Holy flip, I forgot about that feature. :BrownBag: Woo hoo. I had used the A 50/1.2 and FA 77 on there so much since I got the Fotodiox, I totally forgot about that feature.
06-28-2011, 08:21 PM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Holy flip, I forgot about that feature. :BrownBag: Woo hoo.
Glad to make your day. Have fun.
09-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #73
Forum Member

DA 40mm

The DA 40 is AMAZING!!!!
I only have this and the kit lens but I have barely touched the 18-55 since I bought it!
Images are perfect perfect perfect, amazing sharpness, colours, no fringing.
A bit of vignetting at f2.8 but to be honest, I like it!
If the other Limiteds are this good, I think I might just buy all of them!
Some photos I have taken in the week I have had this lens:

Angel Up Above

White

Rainbow Bokeh

Choo Choo

Japanese Garden
I also found it perfect for panoramas! Thanks for viewing!
09-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BendingPhotography Quote
The DA 40 is AMAZING!!!!

If the other Limiteds are this good, I think I might just buy all of them!
!
Nice pics.... but I have bad news for you, not only are the other limiteds as good, a few are even better....

From the limiteds I have I think the IQ pecking order goes DA21 < DA40 = DA15 < DA70 = FA77 < FA31.
09-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Nice pics.... but I have bad news for you, not only are the other limiteds as good, a few are even better....

From the limiteds I have I think the IQ pecking order goes DA21 < DA40 = DA15 < DA70 = FA77 < FA31.
you forgot the 35 Macro....