Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Da 40mm f/2.8

So i have been in the market for replacing the standard lens that came with my k7 and was just wondering what others in the forum thought about the da 40mm pancake limited lens?
i have also been considering the da* 16-50mm lens but the QC issues in the past have worried me...

btw if anyone has any of the mentioned lenses from above for sale or looking at getting rid of one please pm me

Cheers,

Shutter-Bug.

10-21-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both of these lenses are excellent and are used for different purposes. I personally find the DA*16-50 is the best lens that I own and use. I've never had a problem with it and it's just awesome.

The DA40limited is another Pentax jewel. For me it's a little more limited in it's use but when I want to go light it's an excellent walk around lens.

You are on your own about buy either of them. I wont be selling either of them.
10-21-2010, 11:53 PM   #3

I own both of them and like the 16-50 but if I should pick one of them, I'll go for the DA40. It is light, fast and reliable.

FlashGordon's Album: Single in September - PentaxForums.com

All shot with DA40.
10-22-2010, 01:12 AM   #4

The DA40 is as close to a technically perfect lens that exists. No barrel distortion, limited vignetting, sharp corner to corner at every aperture, almost zero CA's, etc. I've always liked the color, contrast, and bokeh I've seen from examples as well. However, the f/2.8 max aperture makes it hard to justify when I have the 16-50 and 50 1.4.

As for the 16-50 I think the early QC issues have made it one of the most underrated lenses in the lineup. I've always liked samples I've seen, but in the back of my head I kept thinking "but, people on the internet say this lens sucks.." I finally broke down and bought one and I haven't been disappointed. It does suffer from some massive color fringing wide open, but the problem vanishes when stopped down and it's sharper than my 16-45 f/4 at all apertures.

I think it's a pretty easy choice to make the two lenses, though:

Do you want weather sealing, versatility, and to carry your setup in a bag? 16-50

Do you want discreetness, no CAs/corner resolution wide open, and to carry your camera in a jacket pocket? DA40.

10-22-2010, 02:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

How sharp is the zoom wide open in comparison to the DA40? All the F2.8 zooms I have ever tried are not sharp wide open except the DA*50-135 which is a superlative lens. This is what keeps me with the DA40 as the F2.8 zooms always need to be stopped down to be sharp.

My experience is that the DA40 is definitely sharp wide open and now with the improved high iso on the newer Pentax cameras the F2.8 is not limiting.
10-22-2010, 02:49 AM   #6
Pentaxian

DA 40...The only lens I have bought new. Miraculous size, great colours, sharp details, totally reliable. It's a beauty.
Pete
10-22-2010, 02:58 AM   #7

Love my DA 40, only lens I took with me to Namibia (there were other camera's in the group). If you want examples: MobileMe Gallery.

10-22-2010, 05:09 AM   #8

And yet it is better to DA 40mm or 70mm?
I want to buy one of these two lenses and has not yet decided which one.
10-22-2010, 07:21 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
I just ordered one from B&H for $339.95 with free shipping. There seems to be a bit of a sale on them right now and its not much more than the ones in the PF Classifieds.

I use to have a M40 2.8 on my MX back in the film days. I like how compact the camera lens combination was. I think the DA version is going to be a perfect match for my new K-x. I can't wait to see what it can do.

Last edited by mpreston; 10-22-2010 at 07:26 AM. Reason: typos
10-22-2010, 07:29 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Hi Shutter-bug

I don't have either of those lenses to provide any insight, but since you are new to the community, I wanted to make sure you were aware of the lens review section of the site. Should get lots of good info there.

Comprehensive Pentax Lens Listings - Pentax Lens Review Database
10-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I bought the DA40 in my K10 days. It was razor sharp and I really enjoyed its size. However, the K10, K20 bodies are quite a bit bigger than the cameras of today and were anything but a compact package, even with the DA40. I ended up selling the 40 and bought a DA*16-50 which I still have and I really like its versatility and IQ. I Would however like to buy another DA40 to throw on my KX for a compact night time travel lens.
10-22-2010, 10:05 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kottier Quote
Love my DA 40, only lens I took with me to Namibia (there were other camera's in the group). If you want examples: MobileMe Gallery.
Congratulations, that looked like a wonderful and productive trip. Fantastic photos.

For travel, the 40mm really cannot be beaten. If it is off the camera, it can fit in a jeans pocket. It is extremely useful if shooting panoramas due to the zero distortion. I also find that it is perfect for shooting out a car/bus window. It obviously keeps your kit light (840g for it and the K-7). I do wish that it was a stop faster at times (you have to get closer to generate Bokeh), but then it would be bigger.

I do not have the 16-50, but I would also suggest the 16-45 if you are inclined toward the wide-angle.

The 16-50 is capable and weather sealed. If you don't mind carrying the weight, for general use it takes a fair bit of beating.

Last edited by Clarkey; 10-22-2010 at 10:14 AM. Reason: add my comments.
10-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lemkes Quote
Tough tough choice. I perhaps like the photos a bit better from my DA 70 compared to my DA 40, but whereas I often just take my K200D out with my DA 40 because 40mm is a decent walkaround focal length, I find I use my DA 70 less often because it is a more specialized focal length. If I had to choose one or the other, I don't know which one I'd choose. But they're both fantastic lenses--can't go wrong with either one.
10-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #14
Inactive Account

I’ve got the privilege to own the DA 40 ltd and the DA* 16-50 and can wholeheartedly recommend both of these excellent lenses. The DA 40 ltd on, let’s say, a K7 makes for a wonderful compact and high end combo. I used it a lot on a recent trip to Crete and even though the attached picture is not in itself remarkable in any way, I still think it shows some of the sharpness and colour that may be obtained with little effort from this optical masterpiece. As for the DA* 16-50, the quality feel of it, makes it the perfect companion to something in the line of K10/K20/K7/K5. I know that some people have been gravely disappointed with it, with QC problems and what not, but to me it has brought nothing but pure satisfaction. All in all, you are facing a difficult decision, and I am not the one to tell you which to choose, since I did not manage to pick just one of them myself! Whichever you end up with, I bet you’ll like it!

DA 40 ltd, 1/320, f5.6, K7, no pp
Attached Images

10-22-2010, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lemkes Quote
I have both. In terms of image quality neither are better than the other, both are absolutely fantastic. It's down to which focal length you prefer.

DA70

DA40

A trio