Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2010, 07:16 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the 200F2.5 is really more a luxury,

It would be a real interesting challenge to compare the 200F2.5 and my sigma zoom however.
What do you mean a “luxury”? This sucker is a necessity.

Tom G

10-22-2010, 07:20 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Okay--time for me to shoot with this freaking lens, especially since I don't have a 135 Tak.

I'm going out today with my Lentar AND Vivitar preset, and see what happens.

I think I should leave my CPL at home though so that doesn't cloud my scientific tests any further than the Budweisers will them.
This is going off tipic but....

Ira, what Lentar 135 do you have? Mine is a preset with 14 blade aperture

I ran a shoot out between the SMC Tak F3.5, the lentar preset F2.8 and an XR Rikenon 135F2.8. I posted the results in the 135mm club.,

Overall, the rikenon had issues with color cast and for identical shooting conditions and aperture, 1 stop slower shutter speed to achieve same exposure. This was after correcting internal reflection issues with a shiny rear element lens mounting ring.

Tak and Tele Lentar had equal sharpness and color, but the Tele lentar had better bokeh and at equal aperture (probably due to bokeh) better separation of subject and OFF background.
10-22-2010, 07:21 AM   #18
Pentaxian

The best Pentax zoom I have used (no * experience) is the FA 20-35mm f/4. So nice, just trounces the kit lens despite its more limited range.

Best prime I have used, I am still trying to sort out between the DA40 and the FA 43. And I do have an A 50/1.2, but am not its master yet. No FA 31 experience either, but open to it. :-)

There are a LOT of nice Pentax lenses.
10-22-2010, 07:23 AM   #19
Pentaxian

If I were on a desert isle, I'd have my DA35 F2.8 Limited Macro with me, power, storage, and internet access notwithstanding.

First runner-up is the DA* 50-135 F2.8

Second runner up is the DA70 F2.4 Limited

10-22-2010, 07:26 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
What do you mean a “luxury”? This sucker is a necessity.

Tom G
yeah but...........
10-22-2010, 07:43 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Normally when someone asks for "the best settings" or "best lens" I tend to think to myself, "When promulgating your esoteric cogitations and articulating your superficial sentimentalities amicable to philosophical and psychological observations, beware of platitudinous ponderosity."

However, today I shall refrain as it appears some of you are having fun with it.

Man, that was a long way to go for a bit.
10-22-2010, 07:46 AM   #22
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
This is going off tipic but....

Ira, what Lentar 135 do you have? Mine is a preset with 14 blade aperture

I ran a shoot out between the SMC Tak F3.5, the lentar preset F2.8 and an XR Rikenon 135F2.8. I posted the results in the 135mm club.,

Overall, the rikenon had issues with color cast and for identical shooting conditions and aperture, 1 stop slower shutter speed to achieve same exposure. This was after correcting internal reflection issues with a shiny rear element lens mounting ring.

Tak and Tele Lentar had equal sharpness and color, but the Tele lentar had better bokeh and at equal aperture (probably due to bokeh) better separation of subject and OFF background.
I have too many lenses to keep track, and this is nuts:

1) It turns out that I have the Lentar 200 4.5, not a 135 (serial # H63738). But the mount is spinning--need to tighten the screws and don't have a small enough screwdriver--so that lens is staying home. And it looks like 16 or 18 blades--almost impossible to count!

2) My preset Vivitar 135 will only mount at like a half turn, and I don't want to damage the adapter forcing it. Regardless, it's on the camera now and I'm going out with it in a few minutes.

3) I DO have a Super Tak 135 (3.5) which I never use, so that's going to be my alternate for today.

I just don't use the long stuff very much--the 85 is more than I'll usually need--so these lenses just sit there. But it's time to play a little with the longer lenses.

Last edited by Ira; 10-22-2010 at 07:51 AM.
10-22-2010, 07:54 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
"When promulgating your esoteric cogitations and articulating your superficial sentimentalities amicable to philosophical and psychological observations, beware of platitudinous ponderosity."
I'm trying to determine whether there is a joke here, is that real english?

10-22-2010, 08:00 AM   #24
Veteran Member

The DA 40 is a magical lens
10-22-2010, 08:01 AM   #25
Veteran Member

as some one already said Pentax is about the lenses, more specifically small prime lenses.

I am not a scientists and I can never understand all those graphs and charts,
but if you want a " show off " lens to brag in front of your friends, that will be any of the FA ltd. these are magic

I personally love the F 50mm 1.7 and I got some of my favorite shots with the good old cheap A 50mm 2/ !! I still think that its a super lens and you can get one for $20.

currently my favorite lens in the whole world is the FA 20mm 2.8!! if you like the foal length of 35mm equivalent you can not bit this one
10-22-2010, 08:02 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

The 200 f4 SMCA ED macro, but my choice is biassed by special interest in close-up and macro photography. It works very well with 1.4XL and 2XL converters, and is one of only a few full-frame lenses still in my collection. From what I've seen & read, both the Sigma 105 macro and the new Pentax 100 WR macro are equal or better for IQ, but neither gives the working distance that's so useful for insects. ONE GRIPE: the overhanging pentaprism hits the locking knobs of the tripod mount and prevents rotation to vertical on a tripod. SOLUTION: I keep a 5mm extension tube on the lens at all times, removing it only when photographing near infinity.
10-22-2010, 08:13 AM   #27
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Shutter-bug Quote
Good Afternoon/morning everyone

Ok well today i have a bit of an ask, what pentax lens do you personally consider the best of the best of the pentax lens line up..and im not just talking modern day da-fa-f-a-m lenses, oh no im also letting this one out to the good old takumar lenses.
so i put this challenge to everyone in the forum; what lens do you consider the best- a lens you wouldnt live without?
include what ever images and facts you like to support your claims i dont mind, this is an open discussion to find out what the general pentax community really think of the pentax lens line up.

Cheers everyone and happy snapping,

Shutter-Bug.
Mazel Tov:

I just gave you your first reputation posts for the concept behind your thread, and for the opportunity of linking some of my favorites.

A similar question would be if you could only OWN one lens, which would it be?
10-22-2010, 08:18 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
A similar question would be if you could only OWN one lens, which would it be?
sadly, it's been done, and done, and done again

this one is interesting, especially with people rating the pentax lenses they own,
10-22-2010, 08:50 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote

I personally love the F 50mm 1.7 and I got some of my favorite shots with the good old cheap A 50mm 2/ !! I still think that its a super lens and you can get one for $20.
I agree on the A50mm F/2. It might not be the best but it is a remarkable piece of glass for the money. I used it for my single in Sept challenge and was shocked at what this throwaway could do. I think that anyone wanting to try manuals should just get one of these for 20 bucks and seriously use it for a week or two.

I think that there are two questions, best and best value. I don't own any 'bests' yet. But I have a couple of great values, the 55-300, M50 1.7 fit that description well.
10-22-2010, 09:51 AM   #30

Damn! You beat me to it! I was just thinking last night I should start a thread just like this.

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote

I think that there are two questions, best and best value. I don't own any 'bests' yet. But I have a couple of great values, the 55-300, M50 1.7 fit that description well.
I have to agree with you on this. I too don't own any 'bests' but for best value I'll have to agree that the 50mm 1.7 is it. Especially if you can find a Pentax-A 50/1.7 for cheap.