Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Location: Living in Vancouver, BC, born in Melbourne Australia
Photos: Albums
Adjusting Lens descriptions in metadata

Hi there,

Having just purchased my first K mount lens I've delved into the realm of Photo ME to put in aperatures and notes from my shoot log book to some of my files.

But....I can't seem to adjust he Lens description in photo ME.
Is there a way to do this that I can't see?

On another matter, can I add Lens types to Lightroom so that they don't come up with (Sigma or Tamron Lens)

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

10-31-2010, 07:32 PM   #2

Hi Andrew,

I believe the "Lens description" is a composite tag, meaning that it is interpreted by the software (PhotoME, Exiftool, LR, ...) from a code that is recorded by the camera after it reads it from the lens' chip. No chip, no lensID, then no "Lens description" other than "M42 or no lens", "K or M lens" or "A series lens" (that's what I have when using my old glass).

Here is a list of lenses recognised by Exiftool (and PhotoME, as the developpers usually share info)

I don't think you can add lens types so that the software recognise the lenses better (at least not at a user level), but I could be wrong.

François
10-31-2010, 11:16 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have found ExifTool (with its associated GUI, ExifTooGUI) to be much more usefull than photoME. You can free-text in the lens with the XMP:Lens tag. Focal length can be edited as EXIF:FocalLength.

Steve