Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2010, 03:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lats Quote
Which I do. Just got to get a new battery

Interested in helping my mate out though.
So tell him to spend $20 on a Pentax film body. It's probably cheaper than buying a good mount adapter.

10-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I hope you are joking Steve.

For many people, Canon is the obvious body choice because they are the universal recipient for SLR lenses originally designed for other cameras. I know that it causes deep pain to read of someone hacking the backside of a FA Limited just so it will work on a FF Canon, but a buyer has the perfect right to do what he pleases with what he buys.

As for me, I regularly shoot non-Pentax glass on my K10D and think nothing of it. Given a good deal on a lens, I might even mount a Nikon upside down or surgically alter Leica, Zeiss, Zuiko or any of several other brands to fit my camera. As for driving the price up for legacy glass, I guess any item is worth what the market will bear. If the Pentax glass is really "so superior", then I would expect that we should all pay for the privilege of using it...even the vintage stuff.

Steve (the other)
Steve, I typed all of this and then realized it sounds like the whole thing is directed at you. It's not.

I suppose I'm half joking, but it kind of depends on the lens.

M 50 f/2? who cares.

FA* 600 f/4, aperture lever butchered? There is a decent chance that a Canon owner is about to have a bad day. Sorry, but it's not cool, especially with the smug B.S. I get from the majority of Canon shooters I meet. Now I'm sure that someone out there is thinking "I'm a Canon shooter, and I'm not a smug jerk." If that is the case, then you should try extra hard not to offend people who shoot other brands. That includes not butchering lenses for other systems, which must be done to put a K mount lens on a FF Canon. It doesn't temporarily raise prices until the Canon crowd tires of the lens, it Permanently raises them, because the lens has been turned into a paper weight. It's not like there is a real shortage of lenses out there for the EOS mount. If the lenses for your system are too expensive or not good enough, then switch systems. After all, the number of solid copies in the world of the A* 135 f/1.8 is not going up.

As it turns out the OP is dealing with the one K mount lens that never had an Aperture lever, so I guess that one lens is the one exception to EOS FF / K mount butchery.
10-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Location: Living in Vancouver, BC, born in Melbourne Australia
Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Okay, I didn't wish to start a war between anyone. All I was looking for was some help so I could share some experiences with another photographer. Sure he uses different equipment, but he has goals along the same line as I do. Produce good records of buildings.

Could a moderator please close this thread.
10-23-2010, 09:59 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lats Quote
Okay, I didn't wish to start a war between anyone. All I was looking for was some help so I could share some experiences with another photographer. Sure he uses different equipment, but he has goals along the same line as I do. Produce good records of buildings.

Could a moderator please close this thread.
If you re-read my previous post, you will see that taking in to account that the lens you are using requires no butchery, there is no problem. You should have mentioned that in the first place!