Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Location: Living in Vancouver, BC, born in Melbourne Australia
Photos: Albums
Pentax K Lens on 5D

Hi there,

One of my friends wishes to pick up some old K and M lenses to use on his 5D.

There's a number of Pentax K to Eos adapters out there.

Just wondering which ones people are using and if they could provide any good/bad experiences with the respective adapters.

Cheers

Andrew

10-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Tell him to find his own primes and stop stealing ours...
You might get a faster answer or at least a nicer answer in the non Pentax shooters area.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/
10-22-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It will also require you to shave your mirror because the EOS5D has a mirror that is a tad too long for pentax lenses. If it was just a simple matter of finding the right adapter you would have found one already, you also cannot use any of the DA lenses even though they are full frame lenses a Canon DLSR has no way to actually operate the aperture mechanism, So that means you can use M,A,F,FA series lenses that posses aperture rings. You are also going to have to remove the aperture actuator from the lens to prevent it from damaging your mirror as well.
10-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Your friend could always buy a nice used K10. They typically go for under $300 these days.

10-22-2010, 09:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You friend will have to shave the 5D mirror and saw of the rear levers of PK lenses. Would be much easier to just buy the K-r/5, or those nice ZE lenses.
10-22-2010, 09:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lats Quote
Hi there,

One of my friends wishes to pick up some old K and M lenses to use on his 5D.

There's a number of Pentax K to Eos adapters out there.

Just wondering which ones people are using and if they could provide any good/bad experiences with the respective adapters.

Cheers

Andrew
tell your friend to buy a Pentax dslr as well. that should solve his problem.
10-22-2010, 10:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
You friend will have to shave the 5D mirror and saw of the rear levers of PK lenses
I think at least on some lenses the aperture actuation lever can be removed quite easily with a small screwdriver (and without a saw). That way the lenses retain their value (can be restored to original working condition). Also your friend doesn't have to keep looking over his/her shoulder for angry pentaxians
10-22-2010, 10:40 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Accurate info here.
An alternative for your friend is to purchase M42 Takumars. Some of those work great on a 5D. Even better would be Nikon Ai lenses, especially the wide angle ones. MF Zuikos are also quite popular. And Contax too.

M

10-23-2010, 02:48 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ovim Quote
I think at least on some lenses the aperture actuation lever can be removed quite easily with a small screwdriver (and without a saw). That way the lenses retain their value (can be restored to original working condition). Also your friend doesn't have to keep looking over his/her shoulder for angry pentaxians
If I see a Pentax lens on a Canon I'll automatically be pissed, and I'll let them know it. If I find out they butchered the aperture lever thinks might get downright ugly.

Is it at all reasonable that I should pay more for lenses just because Canon abandoned their MF mount? If Canon is so superior why aren't Canon owners happy with Canon glass?
10-23-2010, 08:40 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
If I see a Pentax lens on a Canon I'll automatically be pissed, and I'll let them know it. If I find out they butchered the aperture lever thinks might get downright ugly.

Is it at all reasonable that I should pay more for lenses just because Canon abandoned their MF mount? If Canon is so superior why aren't Canon owners happy with Canon glass?
I hope you are joking Steve.

For many people, Canon is the obvious body choice because they are the universal recipient for SLR lenses originally designed for other cameras. I know that it causes deep pain to read of someone hacking the backside of a FA Limited just so it will work on a FF Canon, but a buyer has the perfect right to do what he pleases with what he buys.

As for me, I regularly shoot non-Pentax glass on my K10D and think nothing of it. Given a good deal on a lens, I might even mount a Nikon upside down or surgically alter Leica, Zeiss, Zuiko or any of several other brands to fit my camera. As for driving the price up for legacy glass, I guess any item is worth what the market will bear. If the Pentax glass is really "so superior", then I would expect that we should all pay for the privilege of using it...even the vintage stuff.

Steve (the other)

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-23-2010 at 08:46 AM.
10-23-2010, 11:11 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I can't believe how cranky some of you got. I'm shocked.

Actually part of the reason I'm asking is so I can use my K28 shift to its full potential on his camera - which I currently can't on a Pentax body (It doesn't have a aperature lever). We're both architects with a passion for photography. I don't care that he uses a different system. We share knowledge and experiences. Much what I see this forum as.

He's never used a shift lens and since I recently purchased one I offered to loan it too him if we could find an adapter. (He can't afford nor justify renting or purchasing the canon 24mm). Again - share to learn.

If you're interested you can see some of my first shots with the K28 Shift here.

robbiec and others with helpful answers...thanks for suggestions where I might post to find a constructive answer. I'll do that.

Cheers

Andrew
10-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I hope you are joking Steve.

For many people, Canon is the obvious body choice because they are the universal recipient for SLR lenses originally designed for other cameras. I know that it causes deep pain to read of someone hacking the backside of a FA Limited just so it will work on a FF Canon, but a buyer has the perfect right to do what he pleases with what he buys.

As for me, I regularly shoot non-Pentax glass on my K10D and think nothing of it. Given a good deal on a lens, I might even mount a Nikon upside down or surgically alter Leica, Zeiss, Zuiko or any of several other brands to fit my camera. As for driving the price up for legacy glass, I guess any item is worth what the market will bear. If the Pentax glass is really "so superior", then I would expect that we should all pay for the privilege of using it...even the vintage stuff.

Steve (the other)
where have all the Canon "L" glass fanboys gone?
10-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

If you are after a high quality adaptor, see the link below. Otherwise, any MIC adaptors will do. The difference is that the MIJ one was made closer to the spec (1.46mm thick), while the MIC ones will most definitely be thinner (meaning focus beyond infinity, and might impact edge/corner sharpness for IF lenses).

mount adapter
10-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lats Quote
Actually part of the reason I'm asking is so I can use my K28 shift to its full potential on his camera - which I currently can't on a Pentax body (It doesn't have a aperature lever).
All you need is a K-mount film body.

Steve

(Resident film fan-boy...)
10-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Which I do. Just got to get a new battery

Interested in helping my mate out though.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
All you need is a K-mount film body.

Steve

(Resident film fan-boy...)