Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2010, 05:51 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax Da 16-45 or D200 fault

I just picked up a used Da 16-45. I had it out taking picks of couple buildings but the lens had a hard time focusing .I had to aim it at 4-6 spots on the building just to get a lock to take the pic. The Sky was full of dark clouds with a bit of light coming through ( hard to adjust lighting because of the white blow outs in the clouds when bringing up lighting on the buildings on computer). Just wondering is this due to the camera or the lens? Brought the kit home shot around the house no probs with focusing using just the lighting in the house. Iím thinking to mono-chrome and couldn't get a lock. Any thoughts. I ended up with a lot of PP work and then made it into a HDR just to get it to look good.

10-24-2010, 06:43 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It would take a lot more specific info about your camera and menu settings to help you with this. If you got accurate focus in any given circumstances it's not likely that the camera or lens is at fault though. I presume you meant the K200D here. The DA 16-45 is normally a very reliable lens.

Your first step is to compare the focus options and settings in the manual with your own conditions and experiment with the lens in controlled conditions.

How did it fare in manual focus mode?

H2
10-24-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Plain subject with little contrast?
10-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by djayvo Quote
I just picked up a used Da 16-45. I had it out taking picks of couple buildings but the lens had a hard time focusing .I had to aim it at 4-6 spots on the building just to get a lock to take the pic. The Sky was full of dark clouds with a bit of light coming through ( hard to adjust lighting because of the white blow outs in the clouds when bringing up lighting on the buildings on computer). Just wondering is this due to the camera or the lens? Brought the kit home shot around the house no probs with focusing using just the lighting in the house. Iím thinking to mono-chrome and couldn't get a lock. Any thoughts. I ended up with a lot of PP work and then made it into a HDR just to get it to look good.
I've had some problems with mine at 16mm when trying to focus on low-contrast infinity subjects. If this is the same as what you were experiencing, you can try zooming in to lock focus and then zoom back out to take the shot. But you might also need to pay attention to your exposure readings (or lock the exposure separately using the AE-L button).

10-25-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you

From what I hear this lens is a good performer.
I find it funny that my 18-250 I have never had this problem.
I know every lens has a learning curve. Just found it funny that it focused on everything in the house with just couple lights on. It was a very dull day as far as the lighting goes every pic lacked that wow factor. Iíll try that zoom focus zoom next time and also the AE-L change.
Thanks