Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2010, 07:13 PM   #1

Question about Carl Zeiss Jena

Greetings to You All

This is my first post on this Forum....
and it is, of course, it is a question

Is anyone familiar with a MC lens 28mm (1:2.8) by Carl Zeiss Jena
(I understand this lens was manufactured under licence in Japan by Sigma)?

What do you thing about this lens and what would be a fair price to pay for it?

Last edited by ANTEK; 10-24-2010 at 08:08 PM.
10-24-2010, 10:09 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Conventional wisdom is that lenses labeled "Carl Zeiss Jena", but made in Japan are not related in any way to the German product. I would expect performance on a par with other off-brand lenses of the same vintage and would not pay more than about $20-$25 USD regardless of condition. Real CZJ are always made in Germany (East) and to the best of my knowledge were never made in other than M42 screw mount.

If you want a decent 28mm K-mount lens at a low price, I would suggest one of the many Vivitar variants, Tamron (Adaptall-2), XR Rikenon (reputably a Pentax design), or maybe even a Cosinon, Sears, or Focal. Let build quality be your guide. For most K-mount 28mm lenses, build quality and optical quality go hand-in-hand.

Steve
10-24-2010, 10:19 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you

Thank you for taking time to advise me.