Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 612
SMC Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro

How much will be a reasonable price to pay for an SMC Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro, in the review section it has rating of 9 but the price difference is too wide ($375 to $10) to get a good idea.

10-25-2010, 04:57 AM   #2
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coffs Harbour, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 298
In my experience watching prices in the forums and on ebay about USD$150-$200 will get you a good copy.
10-25-2010, 05:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,309
I'm sure the Pentax-A 50 2.8 is a nice lens but you should consider the Sigma A 50 2.8. The Pentax is a 1:2 Macro while the Sigma is a 1:1 Macro. The Sigma goes for around $75-100.
10-25-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,417
I just bought one on thebay for 115 including shipping.

10-25-2010, 10:47 PM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 612
Original Poster
Thanks guys, I got one for $50 CDN including a K1000 bodey in working condition and Viv 273 Thyr. Not a bad deal at all.

Last edited by ultraviolet; 10-26-2010 at 05:50 PM.
10-26-2010, 05:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 612
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ultraviolet Quote
Thanks guys, I got one for $50 CDN including a K1000 bodey in working condition and Viv 273 Thyr. Not a bad deal at all.
My daughter's Barbie with this lens.

Last edited by ultraviolet; 06-26-2011 at 11:01 PM.
05-09-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
Forum Member
bepr's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta GA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 98
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
I just bought one on thebay for 115 including shipping.
Just bought one for $150 and for sure, even wide open, this lens tops my Tamron 17-50 in regards to sharpness. I have a question though for those who own one. The copy I received is in very nice shape but the focus throw is kinda odd. When you turn the ring from beginning to end you feel quit some resistance at some points. Could it be normal because of the macro? Would like to know cause if this is a bad thing I still can send the lens back.
Thanks,
Bert
05-09-2014, 10:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member
manntax's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,972
QuoteOriginally posted by bepr Quote
Just bought one for $150 and for sure, even wide open, this lens tops my Tamron 17-50 in regards to sharpness. I have a question though for those who own one. The copy I received is in very nice shape but the focus throw is kinda odd. When you turn the ring from beginning to end you feel quit some resistance at some points. Could it be normal because of the macro? Would like to know cause if this is a bad thing I still can send the lens back. Thanks, Bert
The copy I had in my hands for a moment was buttery smooth - the focusing was so smooth and silky that I really wanted to get it - but it was at a fun fair and the guy wanted some crazy money for it ( something like 300 !! ) - but it was in mint condition indeed. If your focusing ring has odd stiff points and they disturb your focusing when fine-tuning - I would send it back and try to find a better copy - for me a $150 is a very good price !! I would consider even $250 to be super deal if the lens was optically and mechanically flawless. On the other hand if the focusing is still smooth and you can live with that odd points PLUS if the lens is pristine optically - I would keep it !

>>-manntax-->

05-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
baro-nite's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,298
$150 is a good price for this lens so as an alternative to returning it, if it is otherwise in good condition consider getting a CLA which should solve the problem. (Yes, the focus ring should turn smoothly.)

Last edited by baro-nite; 05-09-2014 at 11:44 AM.
05-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 3,900
Yes, a CLA would be in order. It sounds like the helicoid grease is drying out.
05-09-2014, 01:48 PM   #11
Forum Member
bepr's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta GA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 98
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
The copy I had in my hands for a moment was buttery smooth - the focusing was so smooth and silky that I really wanted to get it - but it was at a fun fair and the guy wanted some crazy money for it ( something like 300 !! ) - but it was in mint condition indeed. If your focusing ring has odd stiff points and they disturb your focusing when fine-tuning - I would send it back and try to find a better copy - for me a $150 is a very good price !! I would consider even $250 to be super deal if the lens was optically and mechanically flawless. On the other hand if the focusing is still smooth and you can live with that odd points PLUS if the lens is pristine optically - I would keep it !

>>-manntax-->
Optically superb. Fine tuning, no problem there. Only get stubborn when turning it from one end to the other. Nice to hear $150 is a buy. You know, comparing the price on what other forum members paid, thought it was quit right. Thanks for the quick replies.
05-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member
manntax's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,972
QuoteOriginally posted by bepr Quote
Optically superb. Fine tuning, no problem there. Only get stubborn when turning it from one end to the other. Nice to hear $150 is a buy
I call it a steal then Have a fun with your new toy !

>>-manntax-->
05-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #13
Forum Member
bepr's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta GA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 98
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Yes, a CLA would be in order. It sounds like the helicoid grease is drying out.
Just made up my mind. Keep the lens and wake up our best friend Eric Hendrickson for some CLA.
05-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #14
Pentaxian
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 3,900
As long as it is just a little bit "stiffer" and not feeling like it is binding or you have to force it.

I re-greased three of my over 30 year old lenses. The symptoms were almost all the same - stiffer in some areas, more loose (even too loose) in others - usually towards one extreme or the other. Warming the lens up would give smoother operation (a few minutes in the sun or sitting on top of my audio amp).

You might be able to regrease it yourself if you feel you have the skills (lots of patience required) and the tools. "A" lenses are a bit of a pain to dis-assemble the helicoid as you have to remove the rubber ring to get at the tabs to release the plastic front ring.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
50mm, f2.8, k-mount, macro, pentax lens, pentax-a, price, slr lens, smc, smc pentax-a 50mm
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SMC Pentax 105mm F2.8 and SMC Pentax 50mm F4 Macro Adam Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 05-15-2010 10:57 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax SMC-A 70-210mm/4 Macro, SMC-A 50mm/2, Takumar Bayonet 135mm/2.5 wallyb Sold Items 10 03-12-2009 12:46 PM
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F4 Macro occhicone98 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 07-04-2007 12:37 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:28 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top