Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2007, 05:32 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Where's the Bigma?

Does anyone know where I could buy a Sigma 'Bigma' - 50-500mm? I have checked Canadian sites and none have the Pentax version. B&H and Beach have decent prices, but again, no Pentax version. Help!

09-15-2007, 05:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Hey J.Scott

Mine is like 5 days old discussed in this thread New Bigma for Me - check out Camera Canada - Canada's dot.com for Cameras - they show it as special order but last week when I ordered it their supplier had it in stock so it only took them 3 days to get it into their store then 3 days from that to ship to me. I called them before hand to make sure they thier supplier had it in stock. Just call them , then have an 800 number.

And yes ...you want one

Good Luck

Last edited by daacon; 09-15-2007 at 05:59 AM.
09-15-2007, 06:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

There's one for sale on eBay, 'BIN', although a bit more expensive than average price I think (around $1200). Search for 'Sigma 50-500mm Pentax' and it should show up at the bottom (there's only 1 or 2 listings that show up.)
09-15-2007, 06:21 AM   #4

Available at B&H

B&H does carry the Pentax Version. Sigma | 50-500mm f/4.0-6.3 EX DG AF Lens for Pentax AF | 736109

09-15-2007, 08:39 AM   #5

B&H will have another one next week. I sent one back, they will probably have it on Monday so if you call them you may be able to get an open-box discount...
09-15-2007, 08:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I remember discussing this in a diferent thread. Sigma is only producing this lens in limited quantities on request. So apparently you'll have to order one and wait until they have enough orders to make it worth their while to do another production run. Of course you ca always look on the auction sites if you need it right away.

When I ordered my Bigma it took about 6 weeks before it was shipped. Good luck.
09-15-2007, 09:29 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by neil Quote
B&H will have another one next week. I sent one back, they will probably have it on Monday so if you call them you may be able to get an open-box discount...
Neil,

I have been looking at getting this lens, why did you send it back?
09-15-2007, 10:02 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick replies everyone! I have been wrestling with which lens I want to buy next (to feed my addiction, of course!). This one not only produces some of the finest pictures I have ever seen but for focal length gives the most bang-for-the-buck.

I checked B&H twice but failed to see it - now I do! I just now checked their shipping prices and they are quite expensive to send stuff to Canada. Plus they use either UPS or Fed-Ex which charge brokerage fees. Bummer.

I forgot to check Canada Camera.com - thanks for the link. I didn't see the lens for Pentax on Henry's website either. I am going to be in Toronto on business next week so I'll give them a call today. Sometimes they don't always list all stock on the website.

Thanks again!

09-17-2007, 01:04 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by az-dave Quote
Neil,

I have been looking at getting this lens, why did you send it back?
I just wasn't happy with it at all. I want to do some serious bird/wildlife photography and 500mm just doesn't cut it, I am just going to save for a couple of years and get a Pentax 600mm f4 with a 1.4x and 2x TC.

I think I either got a bad copy or isn't that great of a lens. I couldn't get a sharp image beyond 20 feet. It didn't matter what I did either, I always kept my shutter speeds up, increased the ISO as necessary. Tried stopping it down. I had an expensive gimbal head for it as well on a good CF tripod. My Sigma 135-400 on my Fuji S3 Pro/Nikon D80 produced some fantastic sharp images like this one:

I got a bad lens more than likely but the more I search online the more it seems that I can't find many truly sharp images taken with it.

Oh well, live and learn...
09-17-2007, 02:18 PM   #10

Here is the Bigma

QuoteOriginally posted by neil Quote
I just wasn't happy with it at all....... I couldn't get a sharp image beyond 20 feet. It didn't matter what I did either, I always kept my shutter speeds up, increased the ISO as necessary. Tried stopping it down. I had an expensive gimbal head for it as well on a good CF tripod. My Sigma 135-400 on my Fuji S3 Pro/Nikon D80 produced some fantastic sharp images like this one:

I got a bad lens more than likely but the more I search online the more it seems that I can't find many truly sharp images taken with it.

Oh well, live and learn...
Hi Neil, I think for sure you must have had a bad copy, I am happy with mine.. of course if it was half the weight, and had a few more F stops in hand I could be happier

Here are some examples shot this weekend, cropped only and the exif is embedded in the images, use Right Click and Properties to see. All were shot with the Bigma and K10D, hand held with Bush Hawk grip, and 1/250th. Could have been marginally better at 500th maybe, but the light was pretty good and I wanted DOF.

Phil

Juvenile Magpie.

Blue Faced Honeyeater

This Butcher Bird was a low light example, F6.7 - 500th and 500mm, some PP on it with PSP 9 but still acceptable for a quick shot IMO.

Fresias

09-17-2007, 10:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Jeff, there's a big Canadian camera show happening next week, and there's a good chance that one of your local camera shops is going.

Why not ask them if they'd be willing to look for a Bigma for you.
There's a good chance that Sigma will be offering them considerable savings.

From what I understand my local camera shop gets a free trip out of it if he buys so much as well, so they would probably welcome any Guaranteed sales knowing that it might help pay for the trip.

My local camera shop actually refused to order me in a flash last week, telling me I have to wait for the show.
They offered to loan me one if I really needed it, so I can't complain