Below average 16.25%
Poor 16.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How good would you rate this lens?

Picked up an old manual lens recently, and would like to seek views on how good it is, based on the experiences and assessment of pentaxians on this forum. The first three pictures below were taken wide open, the last was stopped down by 1 stop.

Of course, any guesses as to which lens this is is welcome, but I'd wait a few days before revealing which one it is in order not to bias the assessment. This lens is however featured in the lens database on this forum. And no, the exif data on the focal length of this lens is not accurate.

10-25-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's quite hard to judge without seeing any shots!

NaCl(but I imagine the lens is stellar)H2O
10-25-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The first 3 pictures below were all taken wide open and uncropped in anyway, with its corresponding 200% crop attached. The last picture was stopped down by 1 stop.

Picture #1:

Picture #2:

Picture #3:

Picture #4:

also, I apologise for the relative smallness of the images - I haven't figured out how to get photobucket to let me upload bigger image files. Somehow, my uploaded images is restricted to abt 300Kb in size. Will try to solve this.

----------------
EDIT: size issue solved somewhat. you can click on the images to view it in a larger size. Doesn't apply to the 200% crop though.

Last edited by knyghtfall; 10-25-2010 at 09:24 AM.
10-25-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

2nd image is misleading because it isn't from the actual point of focus.
Hmm, seems to be quite sharp, but has busy bokeh. So I guess it is something below 50mm. A 28-35mm lens, probably f/2.8.

But I may also be totally wrong...

10-25-2010, 12:41 PM   #5

not particularly sharp

Not easy to be sure where the point of focus is in both shots. The lens appears to be a little soft. Not a top quality prime lens IMO. YMMV
10-25-2010, 01:39 PM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

Those shots wouldn't warrant high ratings, but that doesn't mean the lens is bad.

Focus is all over the place, as is lighting--appears to be done in heavy overcast.
10-25-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I would have given it "good" if something existed between average and very good.

For me, lens quality has a lot to do with price, and something tells me you got this lens for next to nothing, which is why you set up this test. The lens has a lot of potential to take great shots, so don't let the average rating get you down!
10-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #8

I'd say, nice piece of glass. Keep using it until you learn it's quirks. For being 200% crops, they are nice.

10-25-2010, 06:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all for the comments so far, and they tend to be pretty much accurate. Anyway I guess the deficiencies in the pictures may be due to the photographer, not the lens itself. Will try to take more and better pictures over the wknd.

@Egg Salad - its not quite f2.8, but close! Agree with the busy bokeh though.

@Ira - yep, lighting was overcast on that day. I've tried to get the focus correct as far as possible, but its not quite easy with this MF lens. Maybe the focus may be all over the place because of the "busy-ness" of the scene, i.e. the many other objects within the plane of focus.

@keith / paperbag - yep, its not a top notch prime lens, and it did not cost much. Just out of interest, would you guess that the pictures were taken by a prime lens or a zoom?

@summonbaka - yup, will try harder! thanks for the encouragement

================

Here's one more picture from the same set above. Actually personally I do think this lens is plenty sharp. Excusing the poor composition, the object in focus is really well resolved - the not so good image quality is more a consequence of the digital uploading than the lens quality. When I zoom in on the RAW pictures, the pixels start appearing before the lines become blurred - my layman's way of determining that the lens outresolves the sensor in terms of IQ.

Last edited by knyghtfall; 10-27-2010 at 06:44 AM.
11-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #10

Nice pictures. What for a lens is it?