Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 12:51 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
I don't know if i am wasting all of our time with this, maybe i need new glasses myself, but if I zoom in 100%, the softness of the lens is very clear. With sharpening it does not seem to bad, as I've done with the next photo. If I can get some clarity if this is normal for the DA L 18-55mm, I can live with it and move on, but if it is a bad copy, I would like to get it replaced.
This was taken with the 18-55 @ about 30mm, ISO 200, f4, 1/60, and quite heavily sharpened in Picasa 3
what you should worry about are the sharpening artifacts done by adjusting the sharpness. also the details/micro details aren't there as well especially at infinity. but what seems to be the biggest problem for the kitlens, is it's distortion at the wider ends. 18-22mm are as bad as they appear. the lens seems to be more like a 22-55 lens.

11-11-2010, 01:31 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Altopiet, looking at the shot of the young lady, I agree that the results aren't impressive, but I think the C/Lite etc. photos are pretty normal. I've noted that they're all shot at different apertures: wide-open for the young lady, f16 for the C/Lite and f8 for the others.

I must admit, I always try to avoid operating wide open with most of my lenses, and wouldn't expect great results if I did - so this might be the main reason for the softness. Other factors could be movement in the subject, and the possibility of mis-focusing (i.e. focusing on the background). (By the way, I wouldn't particularly recommend going beyond f11, because you start to lose lens resolution due to diffraction - assuming it's a decent lens in the first place.)

If it were me, I think I'd content myself with the fact that I've got a good DA 50-200 (hurrah!), and think about saving up for a DA 16-45 (which I would test very thoroughly the moment I got it, I might add). (Actually, we have very powerful consumer protection laws in the UK, but I just wouldn't want the hassle of convincing the vendors that the lens was sub-standard, and I wouldn't want to risk losing the 50-200.)
11-11-2010, 01:56 AM   #48
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
what you should worry about are the sharpening artifacts done by adjusting the sharpness. also the details/micro details aren't there as well especially at infinity. but what seems to be the biggest problem for the kitlens, is it's distortion at the wider ends. 18-22mm are as bad as they appear. the lens seems to be more like a 22-55 lens.
I also don't like all the PP and sharpening, and agree with you

QuoteOriginally posted by m42man Quote
Altopiet, looking at the shot of the young lady, I agree that the results aren't impressive, but I think the C/Lite etc. photos are pretty normal. I've noted that they're all shot at different apertures: wide-open for the young lady, f16 for the C/Lite and f8 for the others.

I must admit, I always try to avoid operating wide open with most of my lenses, and wouldn't expect great results if I did - so this might be the main reason for the softness. Other factors could be movement in the subject, and the possibility of mis-focusing (i.e. focusing on the background). (By the way, I wouldn't particularly recommend going beyond f11, because you start to lose lens resolution due to diffraction - assuming it's a decent lens in the first place.)

If it were me, I think I'd content myself with the fact that I've got a good DA 50-200 (hurrah!), and think about saving up for a DA 16-45 (which I would test very thoroughly the moment I got it, I might add). (Actually, we have very powerful consumer protection laws in the UK, but I just wouldn't want the hassle of convincing the vendors that the lens was sub-standard, and I wouldn't want to risk losing the 50-200.)
I agree with you, if I have to return the whole kit, and get it replaced, I might get a bad 50-200 copy or some other problem, so I think I will leave it at that, and save up for a replacement. I've never used anything less than 50mm, before I got the 18-55 with the kit, so my 50-m f2, will have to do the job, as it has done for me since I got it 30 years ago, until I can afford the 16-45. I am looking forward to your tests with the DA 16-45
11-11-2010, 03:00 AM   #49
Veteran Member

...I am looking forward to your tests with the DA 16-45
Sadly, not imminent, I'm afraid!

11-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kevin, the flickr photo's is not cropped at all, no PP, only resized to 800p and converted to JPEG (I always shoot in RAW). ...
Hi Christo, I was referring to the fact that the crops on PF of your shoe where all the same size, but effectively shot at very different optical zoom ratios. This would mean the 18-55 was at a terrible disadvantage ito resolving power. The 200mm image of the shoe looked great, while the 18mm looked terrible. But the 18mm had massive digital zoom effectively...

Looking at the later shots, it looks like the comparison at the 50mm for sharpness indicates the 18-55 is actually fairly good, and while the 18mm cannot be compared using your method, the images actually look ok. I would say you have a "normal" 18-55 using subjective picture view. Somewhat lacking at the 18mm end, ok to good at the 55mm end, and probably good between them (but not very good to excellent). My own experience is that the <20mm end is a bit shaky. But hey, it's a kit lens. Perhaps you are a bit more luck with the 50-200mm, as that by all reviews I've seen is normally worse that 18-55.

But as the maxim goes: Amateurs argue over cameras; Enthusiasts argue about lens; Pros debate the shot.
11-11-2010, 10:11 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
Amateurs argue over cameras; Enthusiasts argue about lens; Pros debate the shot.
Amateurs think about cameras, enthusiasts think about lenses, pros think about light, and students think about prose .
11-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Amateurs think about cameras, enthusiasts think about lenses, pros think about light, and students think about prose .
I think I fit in all categories.