Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2010, 07:17 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Clip on cap for da15?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Has anyone has any success with any? None of the ones I have laying around fit and I think I may have finally lost the metal one for good outside in the dark the other night and now it's buried in snow.
Thanks!

10-26-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've been dealing with the screw on cap that comes with it, but am curious to know as well.
10-26-2010, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #3

Here it is!

I use this one:
49mm Lens Front Cap Hood Flash Rear Body Filter UV C301 - eBay (item 300394608898 end time Nov-04-10 00:53:35 PDT)

It fits nicely inside the retracting hood on the DA15.
I bought a bunch, and use them for all my 49mm Pentax lenses (DA35, and some Takumars).
I like the price, and the neutral oldskool look. Goes well with Takumars and Limiteds.
10-26-2010, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #4
Inactive Account

I am thinking about trying one of the following. Mine is not lost, but if this fit, I'd probably prefer this for field use.

Metal Screw-in Front Lens Cap 49mm Brand NEW caps - eBay (item 200533725395 end time Oct-27-10 09:36:29 PDT)

woof!

10-26-2010, 08:12 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
I am thinking about trying one of the following. Mine is not lost, but if this fit, I'd probably prefer this for field use.

Metal Screw-in Front Lens Cap 49mm Brand NEW caps - eBay (item 200533725395 end time Oct-27-10 09:36:29 PDT)

woof!

That might work, and nice clean look, but clip-on is more practical/faster in the field isn't it?
10-26-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
Dan
Pentaxian

I have a Hama pinch cap that fits, but I don't think that I will be using it. The threads on the filter ring of the DA15 are rather shallow so the snap-on cap is not as secure as with some other lenses. I would hate to have the cap pop off and scratch the coating on the front element. I don't think that I would trust any snap cap with this lens.

I also have a generic metal screw cap that fits. It would be a better replacement (since it can't come off accidentally), but it is much harder to remove than the original cap. The dedicated Pentax cap is a brilliant design. The way the knurled knob extends out past the lens makes it very easy to use in comparison with other screw-on caps. The dedicated Pentax cap can be purchased for about $30. While I haven't lost mine yet I think that I will order a spare.

By the way, I kind of screwed up in that I waited so long to order the DA15. If had known how great the overall image quality is and how much fun it is to use I would have ordered it sooner. If anyone reading this is contemplating the purchase of this lens, do yourself a favor and just buy it.

Dan
10-26-2010, 08:28 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fredrikj Quote
I use this one:
49mm Lens Front Cap Hood Flash Rear Body Filter UV C301 - eBay (item 300394608898 end time Nov-04-10 00:53:35 PDT)

It fits nicely inside the retracting hood on the DA15.
I bought a bunch, and use them for all my 49mm Pentax lenses (DA35, and some Takumars).
I like the price, and the neutral oldskool look. Goes well with Takumars and Limiteds.

Thanks! I just ordered a couple since they are so cheap and a spare is likely to be handy.
The screw on cap is cool, but I hate fiddling with it. I'd probably buy another Pentax one if I was going to sell the lens, but I have no intention of doing that so I'll try the cheapie plastic ones.

10-26-2010, 11:09 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Thanks! I just ordered a couple since they are so cheap and a spare is likely to be handy.
The screw on cap is cool, but I hate fiddling with it. I'd probably buy another Pentax one if I was going to sell the lens, but I have no intention of doing that so I'll try the cheapie plastic ones.
You're welcome!
The (plastic) spring is quite stiff, and I feel that is attaches securely.
The edge of the cap is in line with the retracted hood, so it is quite good secured from being "bumped off". Thick quality plastic

10-26-2010, 12:37 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

I use a 49mm pinch cap, inexpensive from Deal Extreme. I can attach/remove the cap even with the hood in the "out" position. To make it easier to grasp the cap inside the hood, I attach two small strips of self-adhesive sand paper to the center pinch of the cap.

Edited to add: Here's the link to the lens cap: $2.04 49mm lens cap - Free shipping

Last edited by SOldBear; 10-28-2010 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Added link to DealExtreme
10-26-2010, 01:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I've been looking for a non-screw in option too - sweet!
10-26-2010, 10:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been using a 49mm snap on spring cap which came of an old FA 70-200. It's this one:
Pentax 49mm Snap-On Lens Cap 31491 - B&H Photo Video

I have to align the edge grips at 90degrees to the protruding hood obviously, no big deal.

As it grips onto the inner thread for the filters it sits recessed into the casing slightly so is quite close to the convex front element. It Looks like it clears by about 1mm. (The rear side of the cap also has a void in the centre area so it probably misses by a bit more than this).

If you notice the standard screw in DA15 hood is quite deep (hollow inside) but this is so the grip edge fits over the end of the retracted hood.
10-27-2010, 08:23 AM   #12
Dan
Pentaxian

Why so little love for the screw-on cap? It only takes 3 seconds to remove it. (I timed it.) Of course that's nearly 3 seconds longer than with a snap-on cap, but it's still only 3 seconds! I thought that impatient photographers use zooms.

Dan

"Patience is a virtue."
10-27-2010, 09:46 AM   #13

I use the older style Pentax clip on 49mm cap, I have a filter over the front element so it's pretty easy to put on & remove.
10-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Quote
Why so little love for the screw-on cap? It only takes 3 seconds to remove it. (I timed it.) Of course that's nearly 3 seconds longer than with a snap-on cap, but it's still only 3 seconds! I thought that impatient photographers use zooms.

Dan

"Patience is a virtue."
I was willing to put up with it until I lost it! But really, sometimes 3 Seconds is too long if the shot is unfolding in front of me. Not that often, but it does happen.
10-27-2010, 11:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Quote
...but it's still only 3 seconds!
People at times decide what camera (system) to buy depending one whether it takes 0.6 or 0.4 second to focus.