Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2010, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax A 50/1.2 on Full Frame

Admittedly, I don't shoot Pentax anymore, but in my line-up, I still keep that nifty A 50/1.2. Recently, I've discovered a quality of this Pentax that I've not seen before, the ability to render 3D. I know this lens is not that strong at long distance shot due to aberration, which helps to produce the smooth bokeh. However, at moderate distance, it can produce stunning result. Short distance, it's sharp, and buttery.

I shot this with my Sony A900. I just hope that this would help out some of you on the fence right now looking to buy this lens. It's simply breathtaking on full frame.

3Dish:

Sharp, buttery close shots:

Painterly rendering at far distance:

10-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love that photo of the house and windmill.

I think this lens would be one hell of a FA LTD... granted, all it would need is autofocus, and it would be a little large for a LTD... but i've seen some rather remarkable photos taken with this lens.
10-26-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
Zav
Pentaxian

For the 1st time I want to buy this lens! What aperture have you used?
10-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you will find that it performs quite well on distant objects when stopped down some.

10-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you Zav and paperbag. I used 1.2 for the rose and gate shots. The house and windmill was f/2 or there about (to create that dreamy look I'm after). The other three, I think were, at f/2.8. Sorry, I don't have the EXIF to check since it's adapted to Alpha mount.

@Blue: For distant shot, I still find it's lacking compared to other 50 I've tried even stopping down to f/8 (at least with my copy). I've tried the Rokkor 58/1.2, Hexar 57/1.2, Super Takumar 50/1.4, Canon Aspherical 55/1.2. Wide-open though, this Pentax beats all of them.
10-26-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

you are killing me with these! I so wish Pentax would release FF... with my line up, I believe, I would enjoy it a lot!

PS: does K mount to A mount require adapter or hack job?
10-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
PS: does K mount to A mount require adapter or hack job?
Just mount replacement, there is other adjustment needed. The aperture arm, however, will interfere with the mounting; however, you just need to bent it a little (2-3mm) to clear the mirror box. I asked David Llado from Leitax to machine the mount.

10-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
Thank you Zav and paperbag. I used 1.2 for the rose and gate shots. The house and windmill was f/2 or there about (to create that dreamy look I'm after). The other three, I think were, at f/2.8. Sorry, I don't have the EXIF to check since it's adapted to Alpha mount.

@Blue: For distant shot, I still find it's lacking compared to other 50 I've tried even stopping down to f/8 (at least with my copy). I've tried the Rokkor 58/1.2, Hexar 57/1.2, Super Takumar 50/1.4, Canon Aspherical 55/1.2. Wide-open though, this Pentax beats all of them.

That's interesting. I find my A 50/1.2 as good or better than the M 50/1.4 at f4 and 5.6. Same thing for the FA 50/1.4 especially if mf it.
10-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
Just mount replacement, there is other adjustment needed. The aperture arm, however, will interfere with the mounting; however, you just need to bent it a little (2-3mm) to clear the mirror box. I asked David Llado from Leitax to machine the mount.
oh well.... no deal for me then...
10-26-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
oh well.... no deal for me then...
+1
10-26-2010, 09:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

still waiting for FF til next year. otherwise, do some camera mount replacement I guess. now which FF camera would be nice? hmmmmm.....
10-26-2010, 10:03 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
still waiting for FF til next year. otherwise, do some camera mount replacement I guess. now which FF camera would be nice? hmmmmm.....
I'm more interested in that Sigma dSLR.
10-27-2010, 01:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Hi Aegisphan,
it's been a long time and it's nice to see you back here (from time to time maybe?). Those pics look quite 3D but I have to remind you about your 3D-thread and you asking: "I want to know how to take a 3Dish picture without resorting to blurred out background"

I am very curious what you have to say about the Sony A900 and I would appreciate it if you would post a short (the longer the better actually .-) review may be here or within this section: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/87198-...pha-900-a.html

How are the Zeiss AF lenses ? What does a Minolta AF 1.7/50 do on this camera ? Does the AF act up ? What about ISO 1600 and up ? How hard is it not to be here anymore .-)

Questions, questions,
all the best, Georg (the other)
10-27-2010, 04:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing. Hopefully my strategic decision of shooting some film with Pentax MX and A 50/1.2 will prove worthwhile...
10-27-2010, 07:18 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Pentaxor: I think the best digital FF camera to adapt Pentax in the future would be the Sony NEX-9. I know it might never come (or much later than a year from now). But there will be no need for mount replacement or fiddling with anything else. As for which FF at the moment, only Sony would give you the clearance of the mirror box. Canon users have to struggle with mirror shaving to mount a Pentax on. As for Nikon, there is no hope to adapt Pentax.

@georgweb: Hi, long time no see. I still remember those 3D pictures you showed me. Thank you for reminding me my old thread. In fact, after switching to Sony and shooting the ZA 135, I've come to my own conclusion. Micro-contrast, lighting and composition are all important. However, the necessary DOF and sharpness to achieve such imaging is needed as well, which often is forgotten in the discussion of this matter.

Those 3 "3Dish" pictures were taken at f/2.8 (not wide open), and the blurriness of the background is quite irrelevant. Stopping down is a sure way of increasing contrast (and possibly micro as well). And it also gives you deep DOF to cover your intended subject. As long as the subject is sharp enough, the inclusion of foreground would enhance the 3D-ness even further.

You can achieve this with any lens, as long as enough micro-contrast is there. Out of all my lenses, the easiest lenses to achieve 3D effect are the ZA 135/1.8 and CZ 35/1.4. Over at Fred Miranda, they have an official thread on the CZ 35/1.4, and you can see how many wonderful pictures with incredible amount of 3d-ness in them. Paul Yi from FM is also a master with the CZ 100/2 to produce 3D bench shots.

It's easier to compare between lenses within your collection to know their own ability to produce the pop effect. I know that my Sony 135STF is really lacking in this. I'm in the process of adapting the CZ 21/2.8 and we'll see how it fares in this matter.

At the moment, I've sold my ZA 135 to wait for the SSM version, so I don't have any AF lenses. However, I've tried the ZA 24-70, Sony 70-200 SSM, Minolta 80-200mm HS, each for a couple of months. All I can say is the AF is incredibly fast. They only hunt in some low light condition (most would). But the speed is much faster than any Pentax lens I've used (well I only tried the 16-50 SWM). Tracking is not Sony forte, but for still, the AF is accurate (no shifting with any of those AF lenses). I remember my K20D always double-checked the focus so it might be slow at time. Sony doesn't have this (so it might be a bit less accurate but much faster). What I really miss from the Pentax line up is the 31/1.8. Wide angle prime from Sony is lacking.

As for the ISO performance, I would not hesitate to use 1600 and above, though I rarely use them. It is certain noisy at this range, but I only use this ISO to take the pictures I want (which only a handful). What Sony really shines is its low ISO rendering. Many have switched to Sony FF because of the color fidelity, tonality, and DR at ISO 100 or 200. 5D2 has banding at low ISO. Nikon D3X is a bit better than A900, but it's 7k after all. Other Nikon FF can't compete with A900 at low ISO due to the shear MP difference.