Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2010, 02:43 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I've been shooting them wide open mostly. Tomorrow I will try them at f4 and see if there anything between them then. Here's a contrasty flower shot where Super-Tak shows a bit of fringing. No SMC eh?

Last edited by DanielT74; 06-11-2012 at 03:07 AM.
10-29-2010, 02:46 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I should mention that Summilux is quite a bit heavier and bigger. The Super-Tak sits very well on the K20D - compact and relatively light. But the focus confirmation tends to be overoptimistic on the Super-Tak, so when I rely on it, the pictures are often OOF.
10-29-2010, 03:22 AM   #18
Pentaxian

To be frank, I have over 20 distinct 50/55mm f1.4 lenses and was never able to distinguish which photo belongs to which lens at wide open. The output all look the same to me and maybe it's only me

So to me, buying a Leica that is 6-7 times more expensive than the rest is just not me, I might buy it just for the sake of having a Leica lens though.
10-29-2010, 03:39 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How come you have over 20 of them then?

Look to me (and I am basically a beginner) the main thing is object/light/background, ie what you are photographing. But no question some lenses bring certain things out better than others. Have a look at the yellow flowers above for example. To me there is quite a bit of difference between the pictures. Unfortunately the software does something to the colours when I upload and they look a lot colder...

10-29-2010, 04:13 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DanielT74 Quote
How come you have over 20 of them then?

Look to me (and I am basically a beginner) the main thing is object/light/background, ie what you are photographing. But no question some lenses bring certain things out better than others. Have a look at the yellow flowers above for example. To me there is quite a bit of difference between the pictures. Unfortunately the software does something to the colours when I upload and they look a lot colder...
I have over 20 of those (Super Tak, Pentax (K/M/A), Revuenon, Yashinon, Rikenon, Chinon, Mamiya Sekor, Sears, Vivitar, etc...) because their prices still very reasonable at $30-$60 each and I want to see the difference that each lens can produce. But for $300-$400 for a Leica that produce image mostly identical to my $50 STak then I'll pass
10-29-2010, 04:49 AM   #21
Pentaxian

The Summilux is significantly better. Whether it is worth 6x the price is anyone's choice (the law of diminishing returns certainly applies) but AFAIC, the differences are pretty clear.
10-29-2010, 05:00 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The more I shoot with it, the more I'd have to agree with Class A. Although my photographic skill is what I am trying to focus on rather than my LBA
10-29-2010, 05:24 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
one of the problems I find with trying to compare lenses, and I have been guilty of it too, is to not use a tripod.

these shots, although similar are not at the same angle, as evident by what is included or not in the background, and to make comparisons of a lens , especially a 50mmF1.4 wide open, the set up needs to be more than just close, it needs to be identical. slight changes in angle can drstically change shots.

This is not made in defense of the tak vs the leica lens, just an observation.

also a question, shot with or without hoods?

As to the photos, top image seems to have some loss bleeding of the whites especially at the edges, bottom image definitely appears to have longitudinal CA as evidenced by the green frindge around the out of focus portion of the top white petal.

This leads to a question, is the bottom image here the same lens as the previous top image? where I commented on loingitudinal CA

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 10-29-2010 at 05:32 AM.
10-29-2010, 01:59 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lowell, I take your point and will try to use a tripod next time, but even so the lighting conditions can change pretty rapidly (especially with the cloudy weather we've been having). Summilux has a hood.

Still these are not intended as tests but comparisons. Over a series of shots the characters of each lens should become apparent I would've thought.

Also you can see which lens it is by right clicking on the image to Save As. The name of the file would appear and it would contain either leica or supertak.

So to answer your question on the bottom, yes, you are right, this is the summilux.
10-29-2010, 04:18 PM   #25

The perfect lens not exist. All of us know it, of course.

All are compromise's design among the caracters than each brand want to their lenses have.

And really all the things in photography are so, so subjective that I can see the pic traken with one lens known to be better than a second, but perhaps I like the pic taken withthat second lens.

For many years I was a Leica M user (M3 DS and M4 with some lenses). I try almost all M mount leica's lenses. And I can say that my S-M-C 1,4/50 tak has a rendering similar to the summilux chrome 1,4/50 from 1966. Very, very similar. Only difference, the SMC is warmer, no more.

And the summilux R (which design? The last?) seems to have a better IQ, but I prefer the SMC IQ.

I like your color rendition, the resolution power, etc. the combo that the SMC make in the image.

About taste, not rules.

Rino.
10-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
fwiw, there are notable differences between the two lenses, not just because of the price but of rendering as well. if people think that shedding off more than a thousands bucks for such rendering, I'm happy for them. also I'm happy for those who got a $20-$50 lens.

just to give my personal observation regarding the Summilux's bokeh, it kinda reminds me of the Samyang/Rokinon 85mm's bokeh which cost $200-$300.
10-29-2010, 05:11 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
fwiw, there are notable differences between the two lenses, not just because of the price but of rendering as well. if people think that shedding off more than a thousands bucks for such rendering, I'm happy for them. also I'm happy for those who got a $20-$50 lens.

just to give my personal observation regarding the Summilux's bokeh, it kinda reminds me of the Samyang/Rokinon 85mm's bokeh which cost $200-$300.
I would have said the super tak 85F1.9 myself. The samyang is a little different and I have them both
10-29-2010, 06:50 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
I have over 20 of those (Super Tak, Pentax (K/M/A), Revuenon, Yashinon, Rikenon, Chinon, Mamiya Sekor, Sears, Vivitar, etc...) because their prices still very reasonable at $30-$60 each and I want to see the difference that each lens can produce. But for $300-$400 for a Leica that produce image mostly identical to my $50 STak then I'll pass
It's a personal preference. I wanted to see what Leica users raved on about. And having used the modest macro-elmarit 60/2.8 which I found to be excellent, I thought the summilux must be really something special. I find it to be a very nice lens, even better in my view than the very nice Super-Tak, but yes, the price tag (which with the Leitax mount was actually over $700) is pretty prohibitive.

Still some nice images...

Last edited by DanielT74; 06-11-2012 at 03:06 AM.
10-29-2010, 09:13 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
both sets, first two photos are from Leica, same as that with the 2nd set of photos.
Then I was right (I'm not counting the crops, btw - they're the same shot, after all).

If it's Leica followed by Takumar, then I prefer the background blur of the Super Takumar in the first two comparisons.

But like it's been noticed, small changes in setup can make a lot of difference. In the last set (4th), I like the Leica more (I know the order is inverted there).

I like the Super-Tak a lot. Here's a shot I took at a party with the K10D at ISO800:

10-30-2010, 12:21 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DanielT74 Quote
It's a personal preference. I wanted to see what Leica users raved on about. And having used the modest macro-elmarit 60/2.8 which I found to be excellent, I thought the summilux must be really something special. I find it to be a very nice lens, even better in my view than the very nice Super-Tak, but yes, the price tag (which with the Leitax mount was actually over $700) is pretty prohibitive.

Still some nice images...
there are 3 things I like in this image, it's the type of sharpness, oof bokeh and colour.