Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2010, 03:34 AM   #1

[langtitle=it]Tamron SP 80-200 f2.8 adaptall2[/langtitle]

Hello everyone
i just bought this sweety for less than 100€ ( ^^ ).
The lens is in immaculate state and the CA, PF, sharpness in incredibily controlled
Today i made some shots to figure out how it shots in (ultra)sunny day ad 2.8

exif:
1/2000
iso 100
f2.8
200mm

shot with k20d in raw+
The images below are the jpeg came out from the camera ( resized OR cropped 100% )

crop 100%

crop 100%

crop 100%

My question is.
The lens didn't got the original Hood.
How can i replace it ?
Should i search the original one ( bayonet ) or shall i buy a 77mm filter generic rubber/other hood ?
Thanks

Last edited by Pimps; 10-27-2010 at 07:48 AM.
10-27-2010, 04:26 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Congrats! It's a fine lens and I have it. Got some very nice shots using it on my Flickr, but I mostly use it in conjunction with a Pentax TC AF 1.7x.

But anyway I got the original hood so I cant give you a recommendation for a replacement hood. However, I think the chance to find someone selling the original hood is very slim so you better just buy a 77mm replacement hood.
10-27-2010, 06:50 AM   #3

Original Poster
mhh... do you noticed a compatibility with other kind of hoods brand ? like nikon canon sigma... another version of tamron 77mm...
I don't like a rubber 77mm filter T_T...
I would like to go for an original one or a petal flower hood :\

mhhh.... maybe i can try to "adapt" once...

Oh !! I need also a "tip" to give it a tripod-mount.
what model can i buy ?
it hasn't to be larger than 3cm..

Last edited by Pimps; 10-27-2010 at 07:47 AM.
10-27-2010, 02:16 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Hinman used a 3rd party tripod mount for Canon. See his blog Hin's Tech Corner: Tamron SP 80-200mm f/2.8 adaptall-2 30A

I got my tamron together with hood and tripod mount, but then again the price I paid wasn't actually cheap, but i'm not complaining

I also don't really like rubber hood, bought a for other lenses I have and I ended up not using them at all. Go for real hoods, they're much better and will protect front element of your tamron (I don't use any filter on my tamron).

10-29-2010, 04:31 AM   #5

Original Poster
Ok
i found a tripo collar for canon 70-200 f4 @ 20€ ( shipped )
now i have a problem
i just noticed that the 77mm filter, has morphed ( maybe with a hurt or something else... ) and the 77mm uv filter that i have, doesn't fit in the screw...
How can i fix it ? Maybe is it better to find a bayonet hood ? :\
10-29-2010, 06:49 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Like most lenses of its class, the Tamron #30A benefits noticeably from a hood that prevents incident light from striking the front element and it's well worth the effort to find (or build) a hood for it. I'd be surprised if you can find an OEM hood for this lens today at a reasonable price though.

The plastic tulip hood for the Tamron AF 10-24 fits the SP 80-200 so I believe the #30A may be compatible with other 77mm plastic hoods but I haven't tried them. Of course a hood suitable for a UWA isn't going to do you much good for a tele-zoom. In general I find fixed hoods a poor solution for zooms anyway as they must be sized for the widest FL.

As a temporary solution I'd recommend finding an 'AB001' hood for the AF 10-24 (B&H, Amazon?) to serve as the bayonet base element then wrap stiff, black paper or thin cardboard around the shell and secure it with a rubber band to extend the tube and make it adjustable.

The OEM hood (#82FH) extends 4.5 cm/1 3/4" beyond the filter ring. This is suitable for the 70mm zoom setting. As a thumb rule, I make auxiliary extensions (as described above) to extend about 3/4ths of the diameter of the filter ring and adjust the length as necessary in use.

A more permanent arrangement can be made using sheet aluminum tubes or thin-wall PVC plumbing pipes with thumb-screw hose clamps epoxied to the tube. Slit the PVC tubing lengthwise so it can flex to conform to the diameter of the lens. This works especially well for prime tele lenses where there's no need to adjust the length of the hood. In some cases, a metal or plastic hood can simply be epoxied to a cannibalized plastic bayonet base. Flat black spray paint for the non-reflective finish.

H2

Last edited by pacerr; 10-30-2010 at 09:13 AM.
10-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Placing a Massa 67mm rubber lens hood on my desk fully extended along side the 30A's metal lens hood, the height is slightly higher and at the 2nd stage slightly shorter. I would imagine a Massa 77mm lens hood will provide adequate coverage at the 2nd stage on the wide end, and some degree of coverage with the hood fully extended at the long end of the zoom. Of course, an oem rigid lens hood will provide a measure of protection from accidental knocks on the lens but a lens hood's primary function is to prevent extraneous light from entering the lens causing flare, and for this a soft lens hood is perfectly adequate.

Thanks,