Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2007, 02:03 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
28mm is not very wide. I'd take either of the 17-X or 18-X you list, though I chose the Sigma 18-50 2.8 when I was shopping (never had the kit lens). It might be a tad short if it is the only lens you have with you.

I'll second that observation. I like a wide angle lens Until I bought the DA* 18-50 my walking around lense was an sigma 18-35.

I'll never forget how disappointed I was some years back I needed to travel light so put on an FA 24-90 as a 1 lens solution. I was pretty new to the digital world at the time and had loved the 24-50 manual on my Superprogram so thought this would be ducky. I ended up at the grand canyon and my photos sucked.

09-16-2007, 02:16 PM   #17

Original Poster
Thanks so much for all the replies although I'm still a little torn since I have several good options to choose from. As some of you have said, it really comes down to my shooting style. I just ordered the Pentax 10-17mm fisheye which I'm really looking forward to having some fun with but I'd like to decide on my "walkaround" lens before we go on vacation in December.

Chako - I hadn't considered the 18-250, I added that to my list although it's more than I was planning to spend (especially after ordering the fisheye!!) and not so sure I want to give up my 50-200 which I would have to do if I were to buy the 18-250 but it seems to get pretty good reviews from what little I've read about it (by the way, I'm a she, not a he but no offense taken).

I still find myself leaning mostly towards the 18-125 and the 28-75 but the 17-70 is a consideration also, maybe more so than the 28-75 since I know there would be times the 28-75 wouldn't be wide enough but it's helpful to hear everyone's suggestions and experiences with these lenses. I guess the only one I've ruled out so far is the Sigma 28-70.

I do have a Canon S3 p&s which I sometimes take with me on our vacations but it's just one more thing to pack (and I'm always overpacked as it is).
09-16-2007, 02:52 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeanneB Quote
Thanks so much for all the replies although I'm still a little torn since I have several good options to choose from. As some of you have said, it really comes down to my shooting style. I just ordered the Pentax 10-17mm fisheye which I'm really looking forward to having some fun with but I'd like to decide on my "walkaround" lens before we go on vacation in December.

Chako - I hadn't considered the 18-250, I added that to my list although it's more than I was planning to spend (especially after ordering the fisheye!!) and not so sure I want to give up my 50-200 which I would have to do if I were to buy the 18-250 but it seems to get pretty good reviews from what little I've read about it (by the way, I'm a she, not a he but no offense taken).

I still find myself leaning mostly towards the 18-125 and the 28-75 but the 17-70 is a consideration also, maybe more so than the 28-75 since I know there would be times the 28-75 wouldn't be wide enough but it's helpful to hear everyone's suggestions and experiences with these lenses. I guess the only one I've ruled out so far is the Sigma 28-70.

I do have a Canon S3 p&s which I sometimes take with me on our vacations but it's just one more thing to pack (and I'm always overpacked as it is).
Hi Jeanne,
Understand exactly where you are coming from... I'm packing myself!

There is nothing "wrong" with the 18-125, it is the lens that came with my DS and has servred me faithfully on several overseas trips. As a walk around it takes a lot of beating.
Having said that, you need to be aware of the 18-125's short comings, which is, in my opinion, its performance in low or dull light.

I find that the pictures tend to come out a little dull / flat, but if shooting in raw, thats not too much of a problem.

So if your use is holiday "record the moment" type photography, and weight / space is an issue, don't be frightened of the 18-125.

Hope this is of some 'help' to you.
Cheers
Grant

PS: I have packed & repacked my camera bag so many times I'm dizzy....my probable solution will be to be to take the whole damn lot!
09-16-2007, 04:15 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Oops. Sorry about the gender mistake.

You do have a lot of choices. I am almost envious. One of the things I wanted this Summer was to buy the Tokina fisheye zoom version...only to find out that they don't have a distributor here in Canada (for my Canon system). Instead, I bought quite a bit of other gear, but sill would love to get that fisheye zoom. I might have to get it for the K10D soon.

09-17-2007, 05:18 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Tamron 28-75mm and Sigma 10-20mm. 'nuf said