Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2010, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
I know I did read that - if you please elaborate on the IQ advantage it would be really great. I've looked tirelessly at sample images and it's just starting to make my brain hurt. More and more I think - it's the photographer that is making these images look good.

If the DA 40 is really going to be functionally better - i.e., actually sharper, better flare resistance, higher contrast, etc., to the DAL 35, I'll bite. But "IQ" could mean so many things... no one really cares to elaborate.

The size and build quality are nice, sure, but the IQ... the IQ...

PS for focal length, I really think I'm gonna need something wider than a 35 eventually... the 28mm will do for now, but I will need to decide on the wide end (DA 21, maybe the 15, maybe the 12-24). That will be my treat next year . I can buy this lens because I sold all sorts of music gear that sees no use anymore .

So really, people say "select the FL you need" I don't need either specifically... either will do. I want the best quality pictures.

Sorry for over-analyzing this one, but I really am a little confused by all the variables.

PPS: In canada, no way the DAL will hit 150. Henry's lists it for 280 right now (granted, they list the DA 40 at 600). No wonder they complain that they never sell pentax...
if I were to compare the FA35 to the DA40, considering the DA35/2.4 has shades of the FA35/2's rendering except that the FA35 is sharper and the DA35/2.4 has an improved bokeh, I would choose the DA40 due to bokeh and color rendering. however, since I prefer shooting at 35mm and use the lens mostly for solid shots, the rendering of the FA35 solves my needs for such focal length.

the reason behind the DA35/2.4's creation is to fill the missing focal length in the line-up. personally I would say in terms of IQ, sharpness with the FA35 (not DA35/2.4) is better but bokeh and color is better with the DA40. but by saying this, it doesn't mean that the DA40 isn't sharp. it's very sharp and get better. honestly, both lenses render differently that IQ parameters does not become a measure of which lens is better, but what you need or use it for. the DA35/2.4 seems to bridge the gap at the 35mm focal length preference by producing a better bokeh compared to the FA35. but from what I'm seeing, the DA35/2.4 is doing it's job as it should but bokeh and color is still better for the DA40. the point is, the DA35/2.4 looks almost no different except for sharpness and bokeh differences to it's predecessor's rendering. but if the DA35/2.4 rendering works for what you tend to use it for, it would be the ideal choice. if you feel that the rendering of the DA40 is what you need, then this would be your choice. IQ parameters such as sharpness and contrast doesn't look to be the barometer for these lenses. the only ideal things that one would choose over the other are focal length preference, type of image rendering, aperture speed, and price.

10-28-2010, 11:24 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow: PERFECT.

Thank you so much AXL, Pentaxor and Lowspark!

Size is an issue to a degree for me (otherwise I'd just save up and buy a nice zoom) - however, the differences between the DA 40 and FA 43 are not enough for me to care. However, since I have a 50 1.7 and 55 1.8 (both very nice for the price), speed is not my number 1 priority.

I'm glad (Low) that you think that the stopped-down bokeh is superior and worth going after with the DA 40. Truthfully, this would be the number 1 reason I would go with this lens.

Pentaxor, I appreciate the delineation here between lens sharpness and bokeh. I prefer a dreamier look to my pictures if I can get it, so colour and bokeh trump sharpness in my book. That really made it simple for me. Thanks again, and sorry to be pestering you!

The hood design of the DA 40 etc. also seems very good, and I'm going to admit I'm tired to screw-in hoods for my A 28 2.8 and the A 50 1.7 - It would be nice to have something that will reject flare, where I do not have to think about it either. I can see that flare might be a real problem with the DA L 35 ... maybe the Achilles heel of an otherwise great lens. In the end I'm willing to pay for quality because I know I will use this thing... so once again, thank you so much for helping me solidify my decision.

Now a sort of secondary question - how does the DA 21 stack up to the DA 40? I'm trying to plan my kit out so that I have no issues in the long run. My 80-200 zoom taught me I hate zooms and bulk, which is why I like the idea of this DA 40.

I see my ideal kit (with a reasonable budget) over the next few years looking something like this:

(DA 15 or DA 21) - (A 28 2.8) - (DA 40) - (A 50 1.7 or K 55 1.8) - (DA 70)

The 50 vs. 55 is my choice to make (likely will sell the 50). The DA 70 would come last, as the K 55 is a nice portrait lens.

So would you folks attest that the DA 21 - 40 - 70 combo is a good one to have, or are there better choices in the wide angle arena? I decided I wanted a wide angle for "journalistic" photography, like this shot (with the kit).

My thought is that the DA 15 would be just TOO wide, I want something similar to what a journalist would have used in the 70's. However, I'm not completely sold on the idea, because the kit lens is no joke at the wider end. Would I see a major jump in quality with the DA 21, or would it be more about compactness?

The Kit lens, DA 40, K 55 would be a pretty reasonable kit to travel with.

Last edited by paperbag846; 10-28-2010 at 11:34 AM.
10-28-2010, 11:43 AM   #33
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow: PERFECT.

Thank you so much AXL, Pentaxor and Lowspark!

Size is an issue to a degree for me (otherwise I'd just save up and buy a nice zoom) - however, the differences between the DA 40 and FA 43 are not enough for me to care. However, since I have a 50 1.7 and 55 1.8 (both very nice for the price), speed is not my number 1 priority.

I'm glad (Low) that you think that the stopped-down bokeh is superior and worth going after with the DA 40. Truthfully, this would be the number 1 reason I would go with this lens.

Pentaxor, I appreciate the delineation here between lens sharpness and bokeh. I prefer a dreamier look to my pictures if I can get it, so colour and bokeh trump sharpness in my book. That really made it simple for me. Thanks again, and sorry to be pestering you!

The hood design of the DA 40 etc. also seems very good, and I'm going to admit I'm tired to screw-in hoods for my A 28 2.8 and the A 50 1.7 - It would be nice to have something that will reject flare, where I do not have to think about it either. I can see that flare might be a real problem with the DA L 35 ... maybe the Achilles heel of an otherwise great lens. In the end I'm willing to pay for quality because I know I will use this thing... so once again, thank you so much for helping me solidify my decision.

Now a sort of secondary question - how does the DA 21 stack up to the DA 40? I'm trying to plan my kit out so that I have no issues in the long run. My 80-200 zoom taught me I hate zooms and bulk, which is why I like the idea of this DA 40.

I see my ideal kit (with a reasonable budget) over the next few years looking something like this:

(DA 15 or DA 21) - (A 28 2.8) - (DA 40) - (A 50 1.7 or K 55 1.8) - (DA 70)

The 50 vs. 55 is my choice to make (likely will sell the 50). The DA 70 would come last, as the K 55 is a nice portrait lens.

So would you folks attest that the DA 21 - 40 - 70 combo is a good one to have, or are there better choices in the wide angle arena? I decided I wanted a wide angle for "journalistic" photography, like this shot (with the kit).

My thought is that the DA 15 would be just TOO wide, I want something similar to what a journalist would have used in the 70's. However, I'm not completely sold on the idea, because the kit lens is no joke at the wider end. Would I see a major jump in quality with the DA 21, or would it be more about compactness?

The Kit lens, DA 40, K 55 would be a pretty reasonable kit to travel with.
glad I could be of help....
40-55 is quite close though... reasonable difference to have but bit close IMO. Many people say 2x rule is the one to follow, in that case: 15-28-55-100 or 21-40-70.
Please don't look at my line up while reading this. I have a terrible time to choose the right lens for the job and the bag feels overcrovded... But there are specific reasons for me to have those lenses...
If you want to keep 40 as normal lens, and keep 55 as your short tele/portrait lens. I'd go with 21 and 70 to finish the kit off. Good luck!
10-28-2010, 11:49 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
glad I could be of help....
40-55 is quite close though... reasonable difference to have but bit close IMO.
Yes the 55 and 40 are close, but the 55 would be for soft low DOF shots. Thats likely why I would sell the A 50 1.7.

I've looked around for some alternatives in the pentax (AF) lineup for the 21 and find very few... either large zooms, or FA primes that go for more than the DA 21 does used!

10-28-2010, 11:54 AM   #35
axl
Veteran Member

Yes the 55 and 40 are close, but the 55 would be for soft low DOF shots. Thats likely why I would sell the A 50 1.7.

I've looked around for some alternatives in the pentax (AF) lineup for the 21 and find very few... either large zooms, or FA primes that go for more than the DA 21 does used!
if you have these specific thoughts for usage of your lenses then it makes perfect sense to do what you want to do...

The only FA you can get probably cheaper used than 21 new, would be FA20. They used to go for around £300-350 on this side of the puddle and has very good reputation!
10-28-2010, 12:05 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
if you have these specific thoughts for usage of your lenses then it makes perfect sense to do what you want to do...

The only FA you can get probably cheaper used than 21 new, would be FA20. They used to go for around £300-350 on this side of the puddle and has very good reputation!
The FA 20 looks like a good alternative for me to the DA 21. Slightly less compact, but a little faster, AF, great reviews. Thank you so much again, this has been a VERY educational thread for me. When the time is right I'll be looking for them both and finding the better deal.

Last edited by paperbag846; 10-28-2010 at 12:15 PM.
10-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by lowspark86 Quote

One of the things I like about the DA 40 is the hood. Always on there, doesnt make it larger, great protection, use a film can cap.
what do u mean by film can cap?
I have a DA40 and the hood is my main problem, always have to unscrew this small metallic piece which takes time when you need to do a fast shoot.
To me, the DA21's cover type is much easier too use (no screw, no clip)
10-28-2010, 12:23 PM   #38

I use this on my 40mm 30.5mm & 30mm Lens Front Cap Hood Rear Body Filter C319 - eBay (item 300394608868 end time Nov-04-10 00:53:14 PDT)

10-28-2010, 12:33 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey this is a great suggestion. I can keep the real cap stowed away safe and carry this mini cap.
10-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by oliver939 Quote
...the DA21's cover type is much easier too use (no screw, no clip)
Even the DA21 and the DA70 can use this kind of cap (either 30.5mm or film cartridge cap).

Of course the coolest one is by Pentax.

Last edited by SOldBear; 10-28-2010 at 01:03 PM.
10-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What do you have on the bottoms of your LTD's?
10-28-2010, 01:23 PM   #42
Pentaxian

What do you have on the bottoms of your LTD's?
This - linky.

Last edited by SOldBear; 10-28-2010 at 01:39 PM.
10-28-2010, 01:29 PM   #43
axl
Veteran Member

does this mean you hacked off bottomsof some old rear caps and stuck them together to save space in the bag?
10-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #44
Pentaxian

does this mean you hacked off bottomsof some old rear caps and stuck them together
Yes. I did that (no need to remove the bottoms, however). But after a while, I got struck by A(ccessory)BA and bought several copies of the real thing from Op-Tech (see link in my post above).

to save space in the bag?
Yes. But the more important purpose is to make changing lenses faster and safer. The paragraph about changing lenses on Op-Tech's website was my idea sent to Op-Tech. I told them that meant they could sell one cap for each lens, not one cap for every two lenses.

Last edited by SOldBear; 10-28-2010 at 01:51 PM.
10-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #45
Veteran Member

To further complicate matters (at least here in Canada) the 35mm DA-L is down to $188. I can't see spending almost twice for the 40mm as I think this isn't a great focal length to begin with.