Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-29-2010, 05:14 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DEWEY Quote
I don't want the polarizer just for the 15mm. I will have the 15/35/70 mm lenses —*all 49mm mount, and my heart is NOT set on a thin polarizer. I just want the best polarizer that'll work well with all three of those lenses, and if my best bet is NOT a polarizing filter, what is a good all around filter so my skies don't get blown out?

Currently I have UV on all of them and that's it.
A UV will only protect your lens front. To avoid blowing the sky, metering differently and/or using a polarizer are indeed your only bets.

Also can someone please explain to me the optics and why CPL has no impact on 15mm lens? I did not know that.
I'm not sure I understand. A polarizer will polarize light, whatever the lens placed behind it. The issue with wide lenses is that polarization is affected by the relative position of the light source with regards to your subject. And with a wide lens, your FOV is pretty wide, so the relative position of all the objects in the frame will change dramatically. So the polarizer's effect will not be uniform. I could try to fish out an example from my folders.

What does the UV Haze Filter do to the lens? I thought they did nothing to pic -- really just prevent lens damage?
These have a slightly warm cast, nothing more.

10-29-2010, 05:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Last weekend I used a CPL on my DA15 at my nephew's 1st birthday. Generally I wouldn't use a polasiser on it after reading what it will tend to do to skies.
In this case the sun was quite high in the sky so the light was fairly flat. It was quite useful for removing reflection off of grass etc making a noticable difference.
Since all the action happens pretty close to the ground at a 1 year old's party, not a lot of the shots have any expanse of sky on them.

This shot does have a significant portion of blue sky but it doesnt seem to have much of a noticeable gradient. It looks a little darker on the left to me, just because i know where the sun was.
Would this be because i might not have had the polariser at it absolute max effect, as often I dial it up to max and then back of if it doesnt look natural in the VF.?

Not a particularly good shot i know but we were just messing around.

I was a bit aprehensive getting him any closer after this happened.....

Even though I dont use a UV0 any filter is an extremely good idea when a 3 year old , sand and salt water are involved.

Swapping to a longer lens in this case was a safer bet

10-29-2010, 02:48 PM   #18

Original Poster
What is IQ loss?
10-29-2010, 02:50 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
a uv will only protect your lens front. To avoid blowing the sky, metering differently and/or using a polarizer are indeed your only bets.

I'm not sure i understand. A polarizer will polarize light, whatever the lens placed behind it. The issue with wide lenses is that polarization is affected by the relative position of the light source with regards to your subject. And with a wide lens, your fov is pretty wide, so the relative position of all the objects in the frame will change dramatically. So the polarizer's effect will not be uniform. I could try to fish out an example from my folders.

These have a slightly warm cast, nothing more.
thank you!!!

10-29-2010, 02:51 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Last weekend I used a CPL on my DA15 at my nephew's 1st birthday. Generally I wouldn't use a polasiser on it after reading what it will tend to do to skies.
In this case the sun was quite high in the sky so the light was fairly flat. It was quite useful for removing reflection off of grass etc making a noticable difference.
Since all the action happens pretty close to the ground at a 1 year old's party, not a lot of the shots have any expanse of sky on them.

This shot does have a significant portion of blue sky but it doesnt seem to have much of a noticeable gradient. It looks a little darker on the left to me, just because i know where the sun was.
Would this be because i might not have had the polariser at it absolute max effect, as often I dial it up to max and then back of if it doesnt look natural in the VF.?

Not a particularly good shot i know but we were just messing around.

I was a bit aprehensive getting him any closer after this happened.....

Even though I dont use a UV0 any filter is an extremely good idea when a 3 year old , sand and salt water are involved.

Swapping to a longer lens in this case was a safer bet
Great pics. This convinced me I think to get the CPL.

Thank you, everyone.