Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2010, 11:15 AM   #1

CPL filter advice for Pentax DA-Limited Line

I have the 15mm/35mm/70mm from the Pentax limited line. It's a great street photography set if you want only three lenses and don't mind no zoom. Anyway I know they all take the same circular polarizer filter type, and that it has to be a special thin kind because of the built in lens hoods, etc, but I don't know exactly which type I need. I don't want to purchase the wrong thing. Typically I buy B&W filters but I am open to other brands. I just want SOMETHING to help.

Any advice?

10-27-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
zeikos 49mm 49 CPL Circular Polarizer Polarizing Filter - eBay (item 200526272776 end time Oct-31-10 17:52:38 PDT)

I'm running with a similar lens lineup. I've been using the Zeikos CPL from eBay on the DA15, DA21, and DA40. It fits and still allows the lens hood of the DA15 to slide over it without interferance.
10-28-2010, 12:19 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you do go for the B+W filter, DO NOT get "slim" version.

Its actually a slightly wider diameter on the knurl on the rotating ring so it rubs on the inner surface of the hood.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/79232-b-w-slim...tml#post802281

The normal B+W filter fits under the hood of the DA15 and DA35 Ltd nicely without rubbing on the felt liner.
I have this version and as far as I can tell it doesnt cause any (additional) light fall-off on the DA15.

The DA15 is already a little dark in the corners at f4 which you can see against a plain background but if youre using a polariser in the sunlight you'll be f8 - f13? so not an issue.

I think i said that in a discussion before - its deja vu all over again.

Anyway, if you're really set on a slim version, its been mentioned that the Kenko Pro1 Wideband or the Marumi DHG Super fit OK.
10-28-2010, 04:19 AM   #4

I had a slim polarizer once. It drove me crazy because I couldn't put my normal snap cap on the front. No more slim for me.

10-28-2010, 04:56 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
With a 15 mm lens, a polarizer's effect will be all over the place. The result will NOT be uniform. You'll get strong gradients in colours in the sky, for instance. I don't really recommend using a polarizer on such a wide lens, I refrain from using my Sigma 17-70 wide when using a polarizer, at 15 it would be even worse.
10-28-2010, 05:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lenstip has carried out a nice review with lab results:

Polarizing filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com

And there is a supplement to it with some more models tested:

Polarizing filters test - supplement - Introduction - Lenstip.com

Executive summary: The Marumi "DHG Super" ties with a B&W for the top spot using their test data and critria. The Marumi is about half the price though. The Marumi "DHG" does very well too and is still cheaper. The top of the line Hoya and Kenko offerings, as one might expect, are at the top of the list too. All these are of the slim design.
10-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
With a 15 mm lens, a polarizer's effect will be all over the place. The result will NOT be uniform. You'll get strong gradients in colours in the sky, for instance. I don't really recommend using a polarizer on such a wide lens, I refrain from using my Sigma 17-70 wide when using a polarizer, at 15 it would be even worse.
THANK YOU EVERYONE. Few quick caveats.

I don't want the polarizer just for the 15mm. I will have the 15/35/70 mm lenses *all 49mm mount, and my heart is NOT set on a thin polarizer. I just want the best polarizer that'll work well with all three of those lenses, and if my best bet is NOT a polarizing filter, what is a good all around filter so my skies don't get blown out?

Currently I have UV on all of them and that's it.
10-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Personaly i really feel that nothing should be put on the front of the DA 15 other than the lens cap, wich i changed for a "normal" Pentax 49mm snap cap, wich feels alot safer.

The polarizer could have better use on the 35 or even 70, but the 15 has a very strong polarizing kinda effect on its own.

This is just my two cents though

10-28-2010, 03:49 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I usea B+W 49mm CPL MRC (not the slim) on my DA40 & DA70. With the DA40 & DA70 you remove the hoods, screw in the filter, and screw the hood back onto the filter. Therefore you do not want the slim filter as I understand that does not have threads to screw a hood onto.

The filter also does fit well on my new DA15, it doesn't block the hood sliding in and out, to turn the filter the hood needs to be pushed in, adjusted, then pulled out again. I haven't yet had a chance to try the DA15 with CPL in the field though, I suspect form the comments read here and elsewhere that it wont be very suitable due to changes in sky colour across the frame.
10-28-2010, 07:44 PM   #10

Original Poster
Sweet, thanks Twitch. That is the filter I want to buy.

Also can someone please explain to me the optics and why CPL has no impact on 15mm lens? I did not know that.

Finally are there any other filter recs for 49mm for those lens sizes? Like maybe a nice portrait filter for the 70mm.
10-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DEWEY Quote
Finally are there any other filter recs for 49mm for those lens sizes? Like maybe a nice portrait filter for the 70mm.
I wouldn't use a filter on the DA70 for portraits unless you specifically want to cut reflections (use CPL) or drop shutter speed (eg a ND to stay under 1/180 and avoid HSS). Avoid skylight filters or UV haze filters, there's absolutely no need to put them on a dSLR lens.
10-28-2010, 09:19 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I wouldn't use a filter on the DA70 for portraits unless you specifically want to cut reflections (use CPL) or drop shutter speed (eg a ND to stay under 1/180 and avoid HSS). Avoid skylight filters or UV haze filters, there's absolutely no need to put them on a dSLR lens.
What does the UV Haze Filter do to the lens? I thought they did nothing to pic -- really just prevent lens damage?
10-29-2010, 02:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Sweet, thanks Twitch. That is the filter I want to buy.

Also can someone please explain to me the optics and why CPL has no impact on 15mm lens? I did not know that.
I'm sure it will still have plenty of impact (loss of light, eliminating reflections, changing hues), I think that the other poster just meant that the impact wouldn't be favorable (?). If you want try it with 15mm to see for yourself, a slim design (if even that?) should be the one to choose as the wide FOV and a thick filter frame at the edge of the front element could result in dark corners. Even if the frame didn't do it, light entering at a low angle relative to the polarizer plane would seem likely to result in undesirable effects towards the edges of the frame.
10-29-2010, 02:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Look on this page, about halfway through.

How to Use Filters
10-29-2010, 02:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member

What does the UV Haze Filter do to the lens? I thought they did nothing to pic -- really just prevent lens damage?
The sensor(s), unlike film, should not register UV (or so I've read), so filtering it out should have no effect. The protection issue is still there though. There are actually two opposed schools of thought regarding this:

1) Don't use them as they degrade IQ.

2) Use them, as they protect the front element (the IQ degradion is neglible).

Both are right, I suppose. Which you choose follow depends on how you balance the slight IQ loss with lens protection. For the IQ loss to be minimal one should use quality filters, though. In this case I'd say multicoating is indicated as the filter is to stay on permanenty and eventually a shot would be affected by reflections, even if this happens only under rare circumstances. Fortunately, the relatively inexpensive Hoya HMC UV(C), would seem to be on par with / even better than the more expensive models and brands:

UV filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com