Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-23-2011, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
So, I thought I should revive this old thread to thank you all for your advice!

I went for Lowell's setup: I found a second hand K300F4 at a very affordable price: It's old, it's ugly, but it works wonderfully!

I bought it Saturday, a misty grey Denmark-at-its-January-worst sort of day, but today the sun was almost coming through for a moment, so I went and found a bird to test it on.

Here are two sample shots: The first is with the 1.7TC, so at 510mm, and the second is just the "pure" K300F4 after I managed to creep a little closer to the bird. The difference is recognisable, but it is definitely a useful setup, and the best (and only) 510mm setup I have ever tried!

Now I just need to get used to the all manual exposure settings, but I have a feeling you would tell me I should welcome this chance to learn my craft properly, Lowell?

Again, thank you for all the advice! I might go for the "modern" weatherproof DA300F4 one day when I can afford it, but this was 10% of the cost, within my budget and lots of fun! (and learning too...)

Attached Images

01-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice Mette, we call those birds and others like it "peeps" here. Have that same rig
your shooting. Have had that K300/4 since my film days and no doudt about it
that thing is "old faithful", still have it and added a few since, these 3 work well with
AF1.7x too,left to right(M300/4,K200/2.5,A300/4). Have compared K300/4,M300/4,
and A300/4, not a big difference, all are more than just satisfactory.Lowell has a pic
here somewhere of tripod mount he fabricated and with it, K300 has the decided edge
in that department.Pic shows A300/4 with sigma petal hood that I switch between M300 and A300, helps alot,
is also were K300/4 has another advantage, longer hood.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SP320  Photo