Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2010, 12:31 AM   #16
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice poll, but as I have said, it's not for everyone so generalisation like: "every kit should....."
sorry but not every kit should only those that need it.... How does new comer learn what he/she wants from kit? Simple, get 2 kit lenses. 18-55 + 55-300. That's exactly what I started out with except there wasn't the 55-300 so I had 18-55 + 28-200 + 70-300. But those two basic lenses are enough to see what you want, what you like, what you desire...
As for proficency... I live in London, not many chances of wildflife as it is and work on a busy schedule including over 1hr commute each way. With my kit I can photograph city in ANY way I choose and people in from small bobs in pictures to their faces clear and visible... I can do any landscape I choose. The only thing I can't/don't want to do is wildlife.... that's just about it..
I know my middle section is bit crammed at the moment, but don't worry, I'm working on it
and the poll? I think I'm not the only one who missed it.... there are lenses in review section with pretty bad average score and they are still the top dogs... that's as much as I go by the average and poll results here...I for one prefer specialization as opposed to generalization... in a meaning of, I'd rathere be able to do one or two types/styles of photography but properly, rather then all of it wih average results....

10-30-2010, 01:44 AM - 1 Like   #17
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
there are lenses in review section with pretty bad average score and they are still the top dogs...
That is why i only read the reviews by people i think are good/experienced, some people downrate a lens for stupid reasons.

To OP, I would say get yourself a M50 1.4 or 1.7 (small and fast), M200 f4. These two are able to be picked up cheap, the 50 will give you a nice low light lens for a decent price and the 200 will give you a tele lens should you decide you need it. I would use the rest to buy the Tamron (although i have not used this it is quite well regarded).
At the end of the day its up to you, but i would think those 3 lenses will give you the flexibility to do what you want, but everyones opinion is subjective and you need to decided what best suits you. For the sport get the DA*200 2.8 or the FA*80-200 2.8
10-30-2010, 04:59 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Axl

I don't think we are that far apart but I have some questions and comments

In one post you discuss a 5 prime kit from about 16-77mm and in another you discuss a two zoom plus fast 50 kit

Which do you own?

Note with the two zoom approach this may cover almost everything you need if low light shots are not important. Personally I would mis F2.8 but that is a decision that everyone will make for themselves. The only thing missing with the two zoom approach is ultra wide

With the 5 prime solution. If you are largely city bound I can also see that working. My last trip to Paris was with a bag of M42 lenses from 24mm to 85mm. Except that 24 was some times not wide enough it worked well also. But with this solution you need to be on working on your schedule. Family vacations don't always work like that so I find zooms work better in that case

As for space in the bag. You don't take everything every where you go and even on a trip there is what you need to do to get there but again you don't always carry your entire kit all the time. I often go out with one or two lenses specific to what I know I will be doing and leave the rest locked in a safe
11-01-2010, 09:19 AM   #19

Original Poster
Hey guys, great posts and ideas, I thank you of them. I think I've made up my mind with the coming trip and the time being. What did I decide to order? Tammy and the 50-200 zoom. So basically I ditched the budget and got the equipment I think I use more and are the best ones for my use. Tamron is a no-brainer, a fine piece of kit with good IQ and big arperture. Telezoom I chose because the DA35 wasn't available until the early december, and i could get the 50-200 straight from the shelf.

Feeling excited, can't wait for my new lenses.