Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2010, 11:12 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Hmm... I'm like so convinced. The only thing I"m worried about now is the noisy AF. Yesterday, I was riding in the back of a truck (hayride) standing in the middle of people (about three dozen) and I had my 16-50 set at 16mm and would just blindly shoot people's faces from my waist level (their face level) at only a couple feet in front of them. Well, with silent AF they had no clue I was going to snap a picture and so they would just carry on as normal... It worked perfectly for natural casual pictures.
So, I'm afraid that with the tamron, they'd hear the little burrr of the AF motor and then know I was going to shoot the picture!

10-31-2010, 11:26 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
So, I'm afraid that with the tamron, they'd hear the little burrr of the AF motor and then know I was going to shoot the picture!
If you are using a k-x and the people didn't notice the shutter noise I'd seriously doubt they would have noticed the AF noise. Of course, the shutter noise is heard after the fact, so in a more silent environment this might not be an issue until the first shot.

Last edited by jolepp; 10-31-2010 at 11:42 AM.
10-31-2010, 11:29 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
By too sharp I simply mean that. I have nearly this same scene, @ F4 & 5 and the haloing dissapears at those smaller apertures. Note--the bird shot is a crop, which has removed some of the haloing, but has also accentuated the existing haloing. Detail & sharpness, from Neatimage, has been modestly reduced in the bird shot.

Also, here is the closest I do to portraits with the lens (shot below). Notice I used flash, did not nail it, and shot suffers some from blown subject highlights--not the Tammy's fault here. Let me know if does not answer your queestion--tx. :
Hey, thank you very much. That answered all of my questions.

I'm with you on this "only one lens" thing. I tend to like going above 50mm every once and a while... but I suppose I prefer a normal to wide FOV.

I will eventually want a lens to replace the kit lens with faster fstop and sharpness (sharpness is what kills be about the kit lens... although it's great for the price). I was thinking the f4 17-70, but you have convinced me... this lens is stellar!

The bokeh question was more academic than anything... most of the time I'll be wanting that kind of thing, I'll be looking at a focal length longer than 50mm, and at the very least a 1.x prime. The k55 does nicely on the cheap. Thanks again for your help (and sales pitch )
10-31-2010, 01:15 PM   #34

Photos: Gallery
The Tammy's IQ cannot be faulted however on the negative side & after shooting approx 35k shots with mine, the build quality leaves a lot to be desired. The front lens element regularly comes loose & is a common fault, the front bezel on mine won't fit back on due to removing to fix the previous fault.

This lens sucks in dust like a vacuum cleaner, whilst I like this lens the DA* & its weather sealing is calling me, having seen the benefit of this first hand as this years Glastonbury Festival where dust was a huge problem, meaning I was stuck to using my DA*50-135mm only with its weather sealing.

10-31-2010, 02:55 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
If you are using a k-x and the people didn't notice the shutter noise I'd seriously doubt they would have noticed the AF noise. Of course, the shutter noise is heard after the fact, so in a more silent environment this might not be an issue until the first shot.
No. K-7 is my baby. That's why they didn't know I was shootin'!
10-31-2010, 06:08 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
cabstar: The Tammy's IQ cannot be faulted however on the negative side & after shooting approx 35k shots with mine, the build quality leaves a lot to be desired. The front lens element regularly comes loose & is a common fault, the front bezel on mine won't fit back on due to removing to fix the previous fault.
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes with the Tammy. However, it is not the front element which loosens up on the 17-50; it is the filter ring. My understanding is it is easily fixed--simply tighten 3 screws. There was a u-tube video floating around here for this. The lens has a 6-year warranty--why would you attempt the fix, it only caused more problems for you? Mine has been up and down mts all over the East coast, all 4 months of the year--shoots in rain, snow, and sleet. My filter ring is snug and I do not see any dust in the lens. I bought myTammy when it first came out in K-mount, just over 2.5 years ago. Is is solidly built--I am happy.
10-31-2010, 06:11 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Ubuntu: The only thing I"m worried about now is the noisy AF.
The lens makes such minute throws to adjust focus that noise is not significant, but the AF is quick.
10-31-2010, 06:12 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Paperbag846: Hey, thank you very much. That answered all of my questions.

You are very welcome--best of luck!

11-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #39

I'm certainly no pro, but I like the Tammy. Samples:

11-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #40
Site Supporter

Nice shots. Ive just gotten a chance to play with mine a bit on my new k-r. Wow sharp isnt even the right word! And it seems to work with the distortion correction and CA correction options in the K-r! (which supposedly only work with Pentax lenses, those modes arent available when I mount the Tamron 90)
11-04-2010, 04:31 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
Nice shots. Ive just gotten a chance to play with mine a bit on my new k-r. Wow sharp isnt even the right word! And it seems to work with the distortion correction and CA correction options in the K-r! (which supposedly only work with Pentax lenses, those modes arent available when I mount the Tamron 90)
It just seems to work: these get enabled in the menu but do nothing to the image. This was one of the first things that struck my eye with it too, and, BTW, did you notice that it is kind of, like, sharp, too? ;-)
11-04-2010, 06:16 AM   #42
Site Supporter

It just seems to work: these get enabled in the menu but do nothing to the image. This was one of the first things that struck my eye with it too, and, BTW, did you notice that it is kind of, like, sharp, too? ;-)

I was wondering if the settings were actually working or not. Ah well thats too bad. Not a really big deal, dont think the tammy has particularly bad distorion or CA problems anyways.

Put some images on my pc last night. Wow sharp indeed. And the Tamron 90, that is even sharper!!
11-04-2010, 06:31 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Having the corrections work too would have been too much of a good thing I guess ;-) It would be interesting to know why the camera enables the correction options, though. Anyway, the lens is absfab, especially for the price :-). The 90mm Tamron is very tempting too, must be scary sharp.
11-04-2010, 07:06 AM   #44
Site Supporter

Having the corrections work too would have been too much of a good thing I guess ;-) It would be interesting to know why the camera enables the correction options, though. Anyway, the lens is absfab, especially for the price :-). The 90mm Tamron is very tempting too, must be scary sharp.

The 90 is fantastic, build quality is higher than already good 17-50, comes with a nice carry case, it may even be made of metal, really nice lens, certainly the nicest ive owned from a quality standpoint. The sharpness is really something. Cant wait to find some bugs!! (to shoot)
11-04-2010, 07:47 AM   #45
Veteran Member

I hear no end of great things about the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and wouldn't have any problems buying it. I would go so far to say that the Tammy's MTF resolution figures look superior to the DA * 16-50 f/2.8, then again the Tammy does not have weathersealing.