Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #16
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arm_jstp Quote
Update!

Have a chat with Pentax customer service, he said Pentax never request dealer to return S/N card back to Pentax. He also gave me a number to report this case to Mark Davis (which I suppose he is taking care of customer complains).

The customer service guy told me customer don't need S/N card for warranty request, but should have it for reference and they never ask dealer to open the box and return the card.
Reference for what?

10-28-2010, 01:44 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
May be customer can have a S/N record if the lens is stolen. That's what I guess and is reasonable.
10-28-2010, 03:59 PM   #18
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
May be customer can have a S/N record if the lens is stolen. That's what I guess and is reasonable.
If you registered online, plus you have your sales information, you don't need to know the S/N.
10-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
No. This has been covered before.

For whatever reason, you don't get registration cards with new Pentax gear. Forget about the card that just has the number and you don't mail in--that's irrelevant.
No. I said SN card not warranty card. Not registration card. SN slips come with the lens and Pentax doesn't ask for them back.

I never said you NEED it or that it even matters, I said that it goes with the lens and that Pentax doesn't want it. I don't think you need to jump on everyone saying that the SN card comes with new lens purchases. It is completely true. No one said you need it for a warranty and that your warranty is void without one.

Update!

Have a chat with Pentax customer service, he said Pentax never request dealer to return S/N card back to Pentax. He also gave me a number to report this case to Mark Davis (which I suppose he is taking care of customer complains).

The customer service guy told me customer don't need S/N card for warranty request, but should have it for reference and they never ask dealer to open the box and return the card.

10-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Pentax.com (I think. It's their main site.)

There's a link to Register Products.
You can only register cameras and sport optics. I don't see a place to register lenses.

Register Products - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
10-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #21
Veteran Member

That would be my guess too - it's good to have for the record. Not everyone registers their lenses or takes note of their serial numbers.

Maybe the lens was returned by a customer who didn't include the S/N card and they sold you an open box item.

I don't understand why expensive items such as lenses can be sold in boxes that have no kind of official seal.
10-28-2010, 06:20 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
That would be my guess too - it's good to have for the record. Not everyone registers their lenses or takes note of their serial numbers.

Maybe the lens was returned by a customer who didn't include the S/N card and they sold you an open box item.

I don't understand why expensive items such as lenses can be sold in boxes that have no kind of official seal.
Well for one, (though there aren't many left), what would be the point of having a brick and mortar store if you couldn't test out their cameras and lenses? Sure there are body demos, but a majority of small camera retailers let you test the lens out of the box and don't have floor demos (at least not for the smaller brands, like Pentax).
10-28-2010, 08:07 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Well for one, (though there aren't many left), what would be the point of having a brick and mortar store if you couldn't test out their cameras and lenses? Sure there are body demos, but a majority of small camera retailers let you test the lens out of the box and don't have floor demos (at least not for the smaller brands, like Pentax).
How can a seal prevent you from testing a camera and lens? They can break the seals and offer the equipment with a discount later when they get rid of all their other stock.

11-03-2010, 10:20 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update:

Talked to Mark Davis on the phone. He strongly informed that Pentax never require dealer to return the S/N card back. Although the card has nothing to do with warranty claim, it is what customer should keep for reference.

He was surprised about what dealer told customer. He asked for more detail about that store and is going to contact them about this issue.

So, it is now clear that the S/N card must be in the box.