Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kiron /Lester A. Dine 24mm F2.0 Lens

Does anyone know much about this lens? Can't find anything in the lens database and was hoping someone might have some light to shed on this lens. I see that other lens with the same badge have high ratings.

thanks

10-28-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Do you mean the one in the middle?

Here are a few shots from mine.

Kiron 28mm f2.0 - a set on Flickr

I find my copy to be plenty sharp throughout it's range, smooth focus, etc. All the good stuff. I haven't used it much and will soon compare it to the lens next to it before deciding whether or not to keep it (the Kiron)..

10-28-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

They have a reputation for the oily/sticky aperture syndrome, so be careful when you find one. I returned one that I bought on eBay once that had a sticky aperture and a rattle inside. IIRC, the 24/2 was marketed only by Kiron and not under the Dine name.

I decided on the Sigma Super-Wide II 24/2.8 instead (mine's MF, but it also comes in an AF version); if you can't find the Kiron, consider it.
10-28-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
JeffJS...sent you a pm regarding the lens

10-28-2010, 11:16 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stl09 Quote
JeffJS...sent you a pm regarding the lens
Replied. Made a mistake in reading your title. The 28f2 is nice too though .

10-29-2010, 01:05 AM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

I believe stillshunter just got copy of Kiron 24/2 and my belief is that he intends to use it for Single in November monthly challenge so you should have some samples soon
10-29-2010, 02:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I believe stillshunter just got copy of Kiron 24/2 and my belief is that he intends to use it for Single in November monthly challenge so you should have some samples soon
That's assuming he doesn't trade it away for a 31/1.8
10-29-2010, 06:16 AM   #8
clm

Lester A Dine is still in business. They sell cameras for dental photography. I just looked them up and found this: Lester A. Dine Inc. a Pentax W80 for $800.

10-29-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
Pentaxian

You might look into Vivitar 24mmF2 also.

I have a 24mmF2 vivitar by Kiron, and a 28mmF2 Kiron WA lens.

The 24mm ws a nikon mount converted to K mount and the 28mm was Minolta MD mount converted to K mount.

Both suffered badly from oily apertures, which is why the pair cost me a total of $5. I have fixed the apertures, copnverted the lenses to K mount by using a flanged M42 Adaptor, and reset infinity focus for use my pentax cameras. I have not really given them a work out yet.
10-29-2010, 02:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
That's assuming he doesn't trade it away for a 31/1.8
Funny Dan, very funny. I've had a few takers but I believe the line-up will stay much as it is for a while....the Bag Queen (as Axl refers to the FA31) will forever be a target lens of mine, but the cost it just perpetually seems out of reach. So the line-up remains and the challenge in November taken up with the Kiron 24/2....it's a showdown of the 24mms I believe - Axl with the FA*24 and me the Kiron. Cue Ennio Morricone music, as it's head to head - a duel at dawn. The steely eyed Axl with his Glock automatic and me fumbling with my chaps around my ankles and a rusty Smith & Wesson at my side

But I digress, back to the OP's question.

The 24mm f2 I've found is indeed the Kiron version (55mm front element) and not the Komine version (52mm front element). The size is clearly marked on the barrel:

As stated earlier, they were not marketed under the Lester Dine label but "Kiro Precision" - although it explicitly states "Kiron 24mm f2" on the front barrel.

Yes my version, although in great condition externally is just beginning to develop oil on the blades - which is their common complaint. However, it appears as though none has made it's way to the elements so I might have to clean it before it has a chance to do so.

The size of it is just right....a little larger than the DA35. This is nice compared to the behemoth that is the FA*24 I've not had a chance to fire off too many test shots, but will do so all through November.

So is the lens you speak of 52 or 55mm? Also does it state "Lester Dine" on it? I think a few photos posted might reveal a little more from the group.