Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
Forum Member

one DA* or 2 DA's?

I'm looking at the DA16-50 but apart from f/2.8, SDM, SP and better handling, it doesn't seem 300 better than the 16-45.

So I'm wondering if I'm better off getting the 16-45 and spending the leftover cash on a DA 10-17. I tend to use wide angles quite a lot and it seems I can have 10-45 for the same price as 16-50.

Does anyone have any recommendations on either of these DAs? Also, does anyone have any experience with the Samsung equivalents of any DA lenses? I'm assuming they're identical, aside from the badge.

Thanks.

09-16-2007, 12:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
get the DA 12-24mm f4 ED AL ;P
09-16-2007, 02:13 PM   #3

Don't forget about the weather-sealing on the 16-50 DA*. I agree with you that the other items don't really make it that much more valuable (except maybe f/2.8), but depending on the type of photography you do, sometimes not having to stop shooting because of a light rain _would_ make it worth the extra money, to me, anyway.

Of course, you need the K10D to have a fully weather sealed system. The K100D isn't weather-sealed. So if you're on a K100D, it's easy, I'd say get the two other lenses.

I love my DA10-17. It seemed like an awful lot of money when I bought it, but I've taken shots that I never would have dreamed of before I got it. It really gives a unique perspective.
But you have to like the fisheye effect. Otherwise if you just want wide, the DA14 or, like FotoPete mentioned, the DA12-24 might be better.

If you tell us more about what type of photography/subjects you shoot, it would help people reading make a much more pointed recommendation.

What lens to get really depends on what you're trying to accomplish with your camera.

-Chris
09-16-2007, 02:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Seriously Da* 16-50mm is going to be less of a concern when you are on a long distance hiking trip or anything for that matter not to worry about various weather conditions. As long as the image quality does not suffer greatly at the wide end, this zoom shall be worth it.

Da* 50-135 seemed like a fantastic lens with little grudge against it. Its images are of great qualities posted around. The lens is not heavy either. I think all these 2 zooms shall be worth it.

James

09-16-2007, 03:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I have the 10-17 and 12-24. I much prefer the fisheye, and in fact, have to "force" myself to use the 12-24 - my most expensive lens by 2X :-( Although the 12-24 has straight lines, it still makes building lean in (of course) which I find more disconcerting than bent lines, and it seems to underexpose, though I need to test the metering method when using it.
09-16-2007, 03:28 PM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd say it really depends on what kind of photography and and on what level you do it. But to me 2 DA's seem better deal...
09-16-2007, 06:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I have the 10-17 and 12-24. I much prefer the fisheye, and in fact, have to "force" myself to use the 12-24 - my most expensive lens by 2X :-( Although the 12-24 has straight lines, it still makes building lean in (of course) which I find more disconcerting than bent lines, and it seems to underexpose, though I need to test the metering method when using it.
Wow seriously? I always have to be careful not to let people stray to close to the edge of my Zenitar otherwise they get all stretched.