Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Y'all heard about . . .

. . . the ol' codger that returned a chain saw to the store in town a cussin' an' fuming cause it took two days to cut just a 1/4 face cord of fire wood?

So the salesman put a l'il gas in it to check it out an' pulled the cord. The poor ol' guy jumped about five feet in the air an' shouted, "Whut's thet noise?!"

Well, I just got my AFA 1.7x TC from Tom an' I know how 'e felt. I like to wore it out this afternoon playin' with all the M42's, A's, M's an' SP's on the shelf. That l'il sucker's amazing. And you still have to do just enough pre-focusing to honor the spirit of those ol' MF lenses too.

Now if I can just avoid falling into that trap of believing AF is an infallible mind-reader and wait til next week to worry about IQ . . .

H2

Now if someone would just make one with a 0.7X magnification factor for the APS-C's.

10-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Why do you need a .7 mag, when that's what the crop naturally does?
10-29-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
. . . the ol' codger that returned a chain saw to the store in town a cussin' an' fuming cause it took two days to cut just a 1/4 face cord of fire wood?

So the salesman put a l'il gas in it to check it out an' pulled the cord. The poor ol' guy jumped about five feet in the air an' shouted, "Whut's thet noise?!"

Well, I just got my AFA 1.7x TC from Tom an' I know how 'e felt. I like to wore it out this afternoon playin' with all the M42's, A's, M's an' SP's on the shelf. That l'il sucker's amazing. And you still have to do just enough pre-focusing to honor the spirit of those ol' MF lenses too.

Now if I can just avoid falling into that trap of believing AF is an infallible mind-reader and wait til next week to worry about IQ . . .

H2

Now if someone would just make one with a 0.7X magnification factor for the APS-C's.
lmao

10-29-2010, 05:11 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
Why do you need a .7 mag, when that's what the crop naturally does?
MAG, not crop. I.e., LESS than 1:1 to get back closer to FF format.

H2

10-29-2010, 10:33 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
MAG, not crop. I.e., LESS than 1:1 to get back closer to FF format.

H2
The problem is, where is the TC (actually would be a WAC, I guess) going to get the information to "create" the additional FOV? Situated in between the main lens and the mount, it is hardly in the position to "see out".

That being said, you can get auxiliary wide angle lenses that screw on the front filter thread. Something like that would do what you are wanting, though traditionally, they suck.

Steve
10-29-2010, 11:10 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, I'm aware of the technical design issues; they've been discussed before. Actually, the issue's not creating "additional" (wider) FOV, but "collapsing" it so it all fits on the smaller APS-C sensor without cropping -- like FF. I believe it had to do with practical lens-to-sensor registration distance.
Hmmm . . . maybe sumthun like a French horn - all wound up in a knot with fiber optics inside?

But . . . that doesn't prevent me wishin' for one anyway. All those sweet l'il 50-to-105mm lenses become a tad bit long for their traditional uses with a 1.7X TC tacked on the back end.

H2

Last edited by pacerr; 10-30-2010 at 08:21 AM.