Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2010, 12:41 PM   #91

wanted to ask you guys,
is the current price for DA 40mm limited a normal one? it seems quite affordable, for a limited lens. how much was, say, a couple of months now?

i don't need it NOW, but i don't want to skip the "moment" when it's on sale or smth.

thanks

11-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
OK, here are few pictures:
shutin' up now....
but please don't tell me anymore about corner softness please...
Looks very nice, good work. My argument was not that the FA 43 was a bad lens.
But for 1/2 the price, I wonder how the DA 40 would stack up for those pictures?

EDIT: There might be some DA 40 sales at christmastime, but I would suspect that the best deals will be found on the used market. All Pentax glass went up in price a while back, and I doubt it will go back down.
11-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #93
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Why are you comparing the DA 40 at 2.8 to the FA 43 at f1.9? It is a fact that the FA 43mm is better at f1.9 than the DA 40 is because it can't do it. Furthermore, the FA 43 score isn't bad at f1.9.

Plus, Paperbag also stated that the FA 43 has flare problems in one of his early posts in this thread, and that is a misleading statement in that the FA 43mm was the best 'normal' lens for controlling flare that Pentax had made to date which was cited in 3 magazines.

We have been discussing the 43 and 40 in this thread and NOT FA ltd vs. the DA ltd series. That is a whole different can of worms and I have more DA ltd than FA ltd for a reason.
My point was not that the FA 43 is bad wide open. It is just that if the numbers it produces wide open are acceptable, then slightly better numbers for the DA 40 wide open are also acceptable. They both are "sharp enough" at their maximal aperture, even though they get sharper stopped down a little.

I specifically said that the FA opens a stop more and that it is sharper at f2.8 than the DA 40. I am just bothered when people claim that the FA 43 is amazingly sharp wide open, but the DA 40 is unusable till stopped down.
11-09-2010, 02:23 PM   #94
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I love my DA 40, but recently bought an FA 43 because I wanted a lens that was faster. Some part of my brain expected to be blown away by the FA Limited. But I haven't been. The FA is faster, and it might be a little better, but the difference if any is quite small in my everyday shooting.

I had the same experience with the DA35. Wanted a DA 40 that would do macro. And while the 35 is nice, especially for close-ups, I have not found it "better" than the DA 40 for any pictures that the latter lens can also take. Maybe I like the 35mm ever-so-slightly less.

Now I have 3 limited lenses, all within 8mm of each other, and I have a hard time letting any of them go. I'd hate to lose macro, lose f/1.9, or lose my DA 40. Damn LBA!

11-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #95
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Well, I love my DA 40, but recently bought an FA 43 because I wanted a lens that was faster. Some part of my brain expected to be blown away by the FA Limited. But I haven't been. The FA is faster, and it might be a little better, but the difference if any is quite small in my everyday shooting.

I had the same experience with the DA35. Wanted a DA 40 that would do macro. And while the 35 is nice, especially for close-ups, I have not found it "better" than the DA 40 for any pictures that the latter lens can also take. Maybe I like the 35mm ever-so-slightly less.

Now I have 3 limited lenses, all within 8mm of each other, and I have a hard time letting any of them go. I'd hate to lose macro, lose f/1.9, or lose my DA 40. Damn LBA!
LBA is a terrible thing. I'm happy with my DA40 and my FA 35/2, but that doesn't keep the FA 43 from beckoning.
11-09-2010, 04:47 PM   #96
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My point was not that the FA 43 is bad wide open. It is just that if the numbers it produces wide open are acceptable, then slightly better numbers for the DA 40 wide open are also acceptable. They both are "sharp enough" at their maximal aperture, even though they get sharper stopped down a little.

I specifically said that the FA opens a stop more and that it is sharper at f2.8 than the DA 40. I am just bothered when people claim that the FA 43 is amazingly sharp wide open, but the DA 40 is unusable till stopped down.
Actually, no one has said the 40 is unusable till stopped down. What we have said is that it starts out stopped down, i.e. f2.8. In fact some of us have even said that the DA 40 is a very reliable and consistent lens. Likewise we also stated that when the 43 underachieves it is something of a disappointment but that when it overachieves, it is special. Of course, its "average" is pretty darn good. There isn't a LTD, DA or FA that is a slouch.
11-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #97
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote

I only rented the FA 43 for a week but have been drawn to it. I bought the DA 35mm because I actually needed it for work related stuff and really like it. I have been playing tug of war about replacing the FA 50/1.4 with the 43 or maybe the Voightlander Ultron 40/2 but don't want to lose the AF.

But the point I wanted to make is that the FA 43 is one of those lenses that you need to use to figure it out. That is exactly why I would likely replace the FA 50mm completely. But then f1.4 is f1.4. If I had Leno money . . .
11-09-2010, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
what do you think guys? which one is better?
does the fa43 justify its cost relative to the DA 40?
I wish I would have joined this discussion earlier. My opinion and experience say yes, the extra cost is worth it. I have owned both at the same time and I sold the 40. It didn't even compare to the 43. While it was a very nice lens producing very nice pictures, it just couldn't compete with the champion.

I don't care too much about charts and technical data, I never have. However, I'll take a look at them every now and then, but it's not what I base my decision on. My lens purchasing decision come more from experience and the valued opinions of highly-regarded members such as Blue, axl and Pentaxor--they know what they are talking about.

The 43 produces magical images. For those of you who demand charts and remain unbelievers, saying "there's no magic dust in a lens," I'll just reply if there's no magic in the lens, the pictures coming from the lens have magic then.

11-09-2010, 05:24 PM   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I am just bothered when people claim that the FA 43 is amazingly sharp wide open, but the DA 40 is unusable till stopped down.
I hope this doesn't bother you too much, but the 43 is very sharp wide open. I never had a problem with the 40 wide open either though.

What I find with the 43 is it's difficult for me to produce a sharp image handheld at minimum focus distance due to the narrow DOF. However, backing off a bit I've produced very sharp pictures wide open with the lens.
11-09-2010, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I hope this doesn't bother you too much, but the 43 is very sharp wide open. I never had a problem with the 40 wide open either though.

What I find with the 43 is it's difficult for me to produce a sharp image handheld at minimum focus distance due to the narrow DOF. However, backing off a bit I've produced very sharp pictures wide open with the lens.
The fact that the FA 43 is a good lens doesn't bother anybody. No-one here is bashing the FA limiteds. We are discussing their relative value for someone who is penny-pinching. It appears that even commenting on the price of the FA 43 is enough to get people riled up - and I think relative performance between a the 40 and the 43 (which costs almost twice as much) is something to consider for a person who isn't paid to take pictures. That's all I'm trying to say. They are both good lenses, the FA 43 is better, whatever, the FA 43 is also more expensive.

Thats really all this discussion revolved around. People with their expensive toys making rather harsh comments on a very good lens that does not happen to be an FA limited. If people made all their purchasing decisions based on this advice, many of us might be underwhelmed.

Fact is, I've heard some people say it is worth it, and some people say it's not. It's not a "clear winner" situation where one lens like obliterates the other in every way... and cost is certainly a factor.

This is not a black-and-white issue and I don't understand why you people won't settle on a shade of grey. The users of the FA 43 seem rather aggressive towards the DA 40, while the users of the DA 40 are willing to acknowledge the FA 43's strengths, but didn't see it as the huge upgrade they were promised. Some people don't need the FA 43 to be happy with their photographs... I don't see how that is a bad thing.
11-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
The fact that the FA 43 is a good lens doesn't bother anybody. No-one here is bashing the FA limiteds. We are discussing their relative value for someone who is penny-pinching. It appears that even commenting on the price of the FA 43 is enough to get people riled up - and I think relative performance between a the 40 and the 43 (which costs almost twice as much) is something to consider for a person who isn't paid to take pictures. That's all I'm trying to say. They are both good lenses, the FA 43 is better, whatever, the FA 43 is also more expensive.

Thats really all this discussion revolved around. People with their expensive toys making rather harsh comments on a very good lens that does not happen to be an FA limited. If people made all their purchasing decisions based on this advice, many of us might be underwhelmed.

Fact is, I've heard some people say it is worth it, and some people say it's not. It's not a "clear winner" situation where one lens like obliterates the other in every way... and cost is certainly a factor.

This is not a black-and-white issue and I don't understand why you people won't settle on a shade of grey. The users of the FA 43 seem rather aggressive towards the DA 40, while the users of the DA 40 are willing to acknowledge the FA 43's strengths, but didn't see it as the huge upgrade they were promised. Some people don't need the FA 43 to be happy with their photographs... I don't see how that is a bad thing.
Some people are more than happy with kit lenses and that goes across the whole range of cameras not just Pentax.

People will always have opinions that vary with others. I have found the FA43 to be my most trusted and favored lens in my bag and though I have not owned and or shot with a DA40 I respect others opinions and their desire to be happy with what they have.

Here we have a thread that is asking for a difference of opinion and in reality price for starters should not really come into the equation as to which has the better optics.

I think I have read or heard from Voe a member here that the FA43 is the only limited that was also made for Lieca and going by data and lens test articles I though it may seem bias would say that the FA43 is the better lens.

cheers

Neil
11-09-2010, 06:25 PM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
FA43 is the better lens
We agree on this point :ugh:.
11-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #103
Pentaxian

No one here is bashing the DA Limiteds either Paperbag. I, along with many others mentioned the 40 is a very capable lens. It seems like you are quite sensitive to critique of the said lens, and often miss parts of posts praising the lens or agreeing with parts of your posts. I am not trying to be abrasive, but I stated I was giving my opinion of the two lenses and which one I found to be better.

Whether people are paid or not to take pictures has nothing to do with it. There are quite a few paid photographers who happily own the 40. If a certain lens works better for someone, a paid photographer or not, they should get (or save for) that lens. I saved for the 43 for quite some time and luckily it has been more than worth it.
11-09-2010, 10:55 PM   #104
Veteran Member

Well it appears we agree then! I'm not sensitive to critique of the DA 40, but rather to factitious remarks made to people who don't happen to agree with you.

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I hope this doesn't bother you too much, but the 43 is very sharp wide open.
All I was trying to do was mention the price/performance qualities of each lens. Obviously in doing so, I would infer that the DA 40 is worse off optically in absolute terms. Dollar for dollar is another story, but this is all subjective and opinions, after all. I don't think you will find me in denial about the DA 40 throughout this conversation - but rather realistic about its shortcomings compared to the FA 43.

But I've seriously beaten this subject to death by now. Just don't be pushy in suggesting that the OP needs to spend the most money when you have no idea whether that decision will really make him happy. It seems wrong to me for people to be led down a spiral of big ticket purchases by online experts, when the average person would be quite happy with a more modest set up.

The OP may very well decide that the advantages of the FA 43 are worth the money and go and buy the thing. Just don't try to paint it like it's the only rational choice a photographer could make.

Last edited by paperbag846; 11-10-2010 at 03:46 PM.