Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
smc Pentax-M 50mm F1.4, fix it or let it be?

Hello dear Pentaxians.

I've bought a pristine copy of a smc Pentax-M 50mm F1.4 lens with this ring separated from the lens body. I've removed the bayonet and I was willing to fix it with epoxy metal glue. On a second though, because I was afraid of doing something that could interfere with the aperture ring, I've decided to just remove the ring and use the lens without it. I've made some test shots and, apparently, the lens is functioning properly.

Nevertheless, still unsatisfied with this solution and because is such a terrific lens, I'm looking forward for some advice on this matter.

Thanks in advance.

(The image is from a smc Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 (identical to mine) from a post by Just1MoreDave; thanks for that)

Last edited by Manel Brand; 01-18-2011 at 02:19 PM.
10-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

How can you use the lens without the ring? Wouldn't you lose control of the aperture?

I'd attempt that fix, doesn't sound like much could go wrong.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-30-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
How can you use the lens without the ring? Wouldn't you lose control of the aperture?

If only I had a dime for every time I told myself that before trying to "fix" something

Joking aside, I would give it a shot and try to fix it as well.
10-31-2010, 04:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

Thank you for your reply Adam.

I must apologize because I did not describe clearly the issue (the arrow in the photo is pointing at the aperture ring as a whole, hence your surprise about me being able to use the lens). I'm attaching two photos I did today hoping it can be more correctly described. The first one shows the ring detached from the lens; the second, the lens assembled without the ring.

Thanks again for your time.

Thanks to dgaies also, for the encouragement.

Last edited by Manel Brand; 01-18-2011 at 02:19 PM.
10-31-2010, 04:57 AM   #5
Pentaxian

It's an M series lens, you could probably remove quite a bit more from it and it will still function. From what I have seen from my own repairs of Pentax K series lenses, what that ring does is limit the aperture lever's movement to the f/1.4 ~ f/22 range - with the ring removed,when you stop the lens all the way down it actually might go beyond f/22 but it won't go any wider than f/1.4 - so you don't really gain anything from removing it. Potentially it is possible to damage the aperture blades by making them close down further than they were intended to.

Last edited by Digitalis; 10-31-2010 at 05:02 AM.
10-31-2010, 06:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you Digitalis; Yes; like I said, it's fully working and renders excel pics... You are right about the potencial damage, by forcing the aperture mech beyound limits and when you say that I could probably remove quite a bit more from it and it will still function; I guess I will leave it out and be careful at f1.4-f22, not that I need those values, most of the time... Thanks again.