Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lens Limbo...

Hello.
Just bought my K-x back in February of this year and along with it a 18-55mm lens that came in the kit.
One week later, I bought a Sigma Zoom 28-80mm 1:35-5.6 II Macro, used, and I use this lens as my all around, use every day lens.
I want to upgrade this lens to a better one so I went online to Adorama and started to look at lens I can afford on a limited budget. So far I narrowed it down to;
1) Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR DI-II CD Aspherical (IF) AF zoom
2) Pentax SMCP-DA 17-70mm F/4 AL (IF) SDM Super AF
3) Sigma 18-125mm F/3.8-5.6 DC OS AF
Does anyone have any experience with these lens's? Any opinions? Quality issues?
Any other suggestions for lens's under $500?
One more, the Tamron lens needs to be supported by a "APS-C size image sensor"... what is this and can I use it on the K-x?
Any reply will help. Thanks!

10-30-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes they will work. As a general rule, if it will mount on your digital Pentax, it will work.

It would help if you were to mention what you were planning to use the lens for. For example, someone on here has been posting about the Tameron 17-50 2.8 zoom, which looks really quite fantastic for about 500, but it would not be a good selection if you find you are using the 80mm size of your sigma zoom more.

So do you like landscapes, portraits, snapshots, wildlife, etc? Your targets will dictate your zoom selection .
10-30-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey paperbag846, thanks for replying!
I'm using the new lens as my "everyday lens good for all".
I take pics of everything, landscapes, wildlife, portraits etc, etc...
I just want to get a good quality lens, along with good quality pictures.
10-30-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tpg2 Quote
Hey paperbag846, thanks for replying!
I'm using the new lens as my "everyday lens good for all".
I take pics of everything, landscapes, wildlife, portraits etc, etc...
I just want to get a good quality lens, along with good quality pictures.
Have you had much trouble shooting wildlife at 80mm? I would think you want more range. The question is... how much?

All of these lenses will be good, not great, performers, but I would think that the convenience of having it all in one would outweigh little nitpicky things.

I would think the Pentax 17-70 is gonna give you the better image quality, but the zoom range of 70 is not going to get you true wildlife focal lengths. However, if I had to pick one, it would be that, because I think the more things you ask a lens to do, the less well it can do each thing!

A good compromise between that and a "super zoom" would be the sigma 18-125. Really good price and a very flexible range. You might have trouble picking out birds far away, but 125 will be enough reach for larger animals and general natural scenes.

From what I have read, super-zooms tend to suffer from some pretty serious distortions as you move to each extreme end of the zoom. May or may not be a problem for you, it's just what happens when you pack so much zoom range into one lens. The flexibility might make it worth while, and also remember that you can correct distortions with your computer if you take a really killer picture and want to print it.

Good luck!

10-30-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tpg2 Quote
One more, the Tamron lens needs to be supported by a "APS-C size image sensor"... what is this and can I use it on the K-x?
Any reply will help. Thanks!
All Pentax DSLRs have APS-C sensors.

Image sensor format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
10-30-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
Forum Member

Hi,

You don't mention any specific photographic interests so I'll assume you want to either improve the range of focal lengths you have or improve the quality of the lenses and cover a similar range to that that you have at the moment.

But firstly, your DSLR has an APS-C sensor as opposed to a full frame sensor (15x22.5mm vs. 24x36mm) Pentax do not make a full frame DSLR (yet!)

Extending the range of focal lengths that you have could be as simple as adding either the DA50-200mm or the DA55-300mm and rediscovering the very good DA18-55mm you have already.

If you want a single lens look at the DA18-250mm.

Or go wider with a 10-20ish lens

If you want to improve the lens quality (those mentioned inc the kit lens are pretty good anyway) you might want to look at either the Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 or the Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 both respected lenses the will offer a brighter f2.8 aperture.

What did I do - I improved on the focal length range first and am now planning to add something extra - like the DA15mm Ltd which is just Keira Knightley dressed in glass and aluminum. I also quite fancy Kate Moss too (DA21mmLtd) but.............

Cheers

MZ

Last edited by ManixZero; 10-30-2010 at 05:57 PM.
10-30-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you really want a single lens, then a superzoom may suffice, but to get a good balance of IQ and more speed (larger maximum aperture), you'll need at least two lenses, which would go beyond your budget. So it may just have to be one of your own suggestions.
10-30-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info everyone. All of you are a big help!