Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Any DA35/2.4 WR indications?

Are there any indications that there might be DA35 WR version in near future. I'm eye'ing the DAL35mm but would not want to purchase it and see a WR version show up in few months, resulting in money loss, selling the DAL.

10-31-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

No indications. If it does come out, it will be the smallest WR prime Pentax has.
10-31-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've heard nothing. Frankly, I can't imagine Pentax would bring out a WR version of this particular lens. Its entire reason for being is to be inexpensive.
10-31-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
People have been asking for a WR 55-300 since it came out in 2008 with no official indication that one is ever going to be released. If you're that worried about it wait a couple of months until the new DA L 35mm starts to show up on the second hand market. I don't expect the price will drop quickly but the lens will be at least a little bit cheaper.

Since Pentax isn't releasing lens road maps at regular intervals anymore there really isn't much information available on what their future plans might be.

10-31-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
Are there any indications that there might be DA35 WR version in near future. I'm eye'ing the DAL35mm but would not want to purchase it and see a WR version show up in few months, resulting in money loss, selling the DAL.
Why would they duplicate that one in WR considering that typical WR seekers would still not want it without metal mount and other expensive 'pro acceptable' alterations, raising costs toward their other upmarket circa 35mm prime offerings?

Surely, short term voyeur interest at intro time is one thing but ongoing owning and using a sibling to a "plasticky L" grade lens is a stigma that many would feel discomfort to admit to.
Or would it be tolerated as a rainy day alternative utility tool, for it's WR?

.R.
11-01-2010, 12:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A WR remake of the FA31 would make more sense, IMHO.
11-01-2010, 01:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I wouldn't be surprised if it would come in a WR version. It would still be a cheap lens for them to make, but they can charge a premium-ish price for it.

This is also the reason that I still belive in a 55-300WR. It would further differentiate it from the L-version making room for price adjustments. Of course, they have to abandon the present version.

11-01-2010, 01:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why many people refer to it as a DA "L" lens? It maybe similar to kit lens construction, but it's just DA per Pentax specs.
11-01-2010, 02:19 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
Why many people refer to it as a DA "L" lens? It maybe similar to kit lens construction, but it's just DA per Pentax specs.
Plastic lens mount, no quick-shift.

I am thinking of buying one and weather-sealing it by myself, shouldn't be too hard to add an ass-gasket for example.
11-01-2010, 02:50 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A DA35/2 WR or DFA*31/1.8 WR would be cool
11-01-2010, 04:29 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I could see Pentax weather sealing the FA limiteds and releasing them with in body motors (like the DA *55). I don't think they will seal the DA L 35 however.
11-01-2010, 12:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I don't think so:

1) The advantage of WR means that, while you are "using" it, it would be impossible to do a lens change. Therefore, a WR zoom is much more useful than a WR prime. While primes afford you greater artistic flexibility, in a rainstorm I would think one would be happy to get the shot at all.

2) The WR 100 DFA is not a good indication of a future trend, because it is macro. It not possible to put a true macro in a zoom, but macro work in the wild would certainly be helped by WR, hence its existence.

If you want a WR lens but cannot afford the DA*, I would think the 18-135 WR zoom would be a great backbone to any kit...
11-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I could see Pentax weather sealing the FA limiteds and releasing them with in body motors (like the DA *55). I don't think they will seal the DA L 35 however.
That's funny, because I wish they would unseal the DA* 55, and take out the SDM. In most portrait situations, I don't really care if the AF is loud, and I'm certainly not concerned about the rain. I think if they sold both versions, they would end up moving more 55s.

THe DA*55 would be able to take some pretty stunning pictures in a wedding or on the beach that my unsealed version would fail at... however... i think there is room for both .
11-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Pentax seems a little confused themselves! They have L in the title, but not in the description or on the lens itself.

smc PENTAX DA L 35mm F2.4 AL - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

Oddly enough it is styled like a WR lens--with the white line down the middle between "Pentax" and "35mm," just like the 100 WR and the 50-200 WR that I have, whereas other DA and DA L lenses have the silver badge at the base.

I don't think they'd WR it, but it'd be cool if they did.
11-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #15
Veteran Member

It belongs to the general DA family, but definitely of sub-genus L by the maker's accounts.

Ref: Pentax title it "SMC PENTAX DA L 35MM F2.4 AL" on their official Lenses website here:

smc PENTAX DA L 35mm F2.4 AL - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

As well as in its listing among their 4 "new" lenses on this page:

Camera Lens - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

(Interesting, farfisa had posted this info 2:23hrs before I lodged this and that wasn't viewable to me, but the post now shows up ??)

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 11-01-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: spel.