Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2007, 09:58 AM   #1

Lens Advice: SMC-M 80-200mm f/4.5

Over the weekend, I ordered my first set of Pentax gear, whoohoo! I ordered a K100D body, 16-45mm constant f/4 lens, SD card, and a few accessories, all coming my way in the next few days.

So now it's time to start looking at everyone's favorite camera accessories, lenses.

For a zooming telephoto, I was reading about the Pentax SMC-M 80-200 constant f/4.5. It sounds like a worthwhile lens. There are two versions of this lens, is that right? What are the differences between these two versions (like optical quality)? How can I tell them apart?

Thanks.

Alex

09-17-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
i think this is an under rated lens. yes there are 2 versions. v1 is basically the K version and is 65mm in diameter around the focus/zoom ring with the rubber on it.
v2 is 68mm diameter
v1 is a lot sharper than v2 and a tad lighter and shorter.
it just so happens i have an absolutely mint v1 i have listed in the marketplace. when i say mint i mean no brassing, no stratches, no signs of use. the passed decal still has some relief to it and looks like it was applied yesterday. there is a little internal dust in it but all 1 touch zooms do too. nothing to worry about. if interested PM me.
09-17-2007, 07:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hows the M80-200 compared to the A70-210?
09-18-2007, 05:14 AM   #4
roy
Inactive Account

pete,
it's a WHOLE lot lighter. 1/3 stop slower, and maybe a slight bit sharper wideopen. not that it matters because both are really nice lenses. i have both but i have an extra M. the other copy of the 80-200 i have is not in near the condition this one is.

09-18-2007, 11:59 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a nice, if older lens.

Keep in mid that it is a M-series and as such you will need to use it in Manual mode on your camera. Ensure that you have the menu set to allow the use of the aperture ring and that you have set the AF/MF switch to MF before shooting.

What I like about this lens is it's really sharp IQ and the fact that it has some heft to it. Compared to my DA50-200 I much prefer this as it's weight balances in your hand quite nicely and is much more impervious to slight shake. I shoot mostly images of shipping and a lot of the time i'm out the windy riverside and appreciate the extra stability that shooting with this lens affords me.

It comes down to personal preference but I like these older SMC M-series lenses (see my sig) and this one is quite nice.

I need to get another though as I have passed it on to my father to use with my GX-1 that he currently has on loan.
09-19-2007, 01:18 AM   #6

I have had this lens for several years, first to use on my MX and now on my K100d. I also have the DA 55-200 which is my general purpose walk around lend. When I go out to shoot with a particular purpose in mind I take the old lens as I prefer the images it produces. It is also built like a tank and will be going strong long after the DA has given up the ghost. There are examples going on ebay for under £50 which makes it great value for money.