Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2007, 10:39 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sigma TeleZoom Dilemma - Need Advice

I am an advanced amateur when it comes to Wildlife Photography, but have a good friend that knows his "photography" etc. so I have him to consult from time to time. Have done some research in selecting a starter wildlife lens and have two choices in the Sigma 50-500mm F4/6.3 (Bigma) & the Sigma 100-300mm F4. My biggest question lies with the 100-300 F4; there does not seem to be many reviews are info in regards to its use. I have searched hi & low for it; I have found several phrases that reference the lens as a very good lens, but still no concrete review from a wild-liferís perspective or point of view. Anyone use or know of this lens? If so, pros/cons? What will it yield me??

On the other hand there are countless reviews on the "Bigma" and I have read a great deal of them, etc. From what I have read and friends I have spoken to, I have a decision to make b/w these two lenses. My plan for the 100-300mm would be to use in conjunction w/ a 1.4 or 2.0 TC. As stated by a friend, the "close" factor of the "Bigma" is very attractive almost blinding, but the versatility of the 100-300mm fixed F4 for lighting is far greater in his opinion.

One good thing about me is that I am a converted hunter who would rather now shoot his prey with a camera rather than with a weapon, I am not afraid to get dirty, crawl, wade, wait, or whatever the case may be. I would like to photograph birds of all kinds and mammals as well. Filling the frame on a Cardinal (my favorite) under a dimly light tree canopy and having that image sharp is the quest I am looking for. I realize the pocket book will not get me there tomorrow, but I can start somewhere can't I???

Any info on this dilemma will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

09-17-2007, 10:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Suggest this sight for reviews of the Sigma 100-300 f4 lens

FM Reviews - Sigma Zoom lenses

CN

Sigma 100-300mm F/4 EX IF HSM APO Reviews at PhotographyReview.com

Also here

Last edited by Clem Nichols; 09-17-2007 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Additional info
09-17-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Did you see the review in photozone.de? That test for Canon, but should be applicable to Pentax also with considerations. Klaus writes it is "the most impressive Sigma lens tested to date. It is capable to deliver a near flawless performance with great resolution figures, low vignetting, low distortions, low CAs and as a nice whipped cream on top the build quality feels just right."

Sounds nice to me

See Sigma AF 100-300mm f/4 EX HSM APO - Photozone Quick Test Report / Review
09-17-2007, 11:05 AM   #4

Original Poster
Clem & Gawan,

I have not yet seen these sites or info, thank you. I love the internet.

09-17-2007, 01:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Scout,

This is an impressive lens. I have it and it is professional grade all the way. As you might expect, it is somwhat heavy though it is a fast zoom lens. It is sharp at all focal lengths, does not exhibit field CA and is very capable of tack sharp images.

It balances beautifully in the hands, focuses fairly quickly if you are not asking it to focus from three feet to infinity. That will bog it down. i have only used this lens twice in the field: Once in March and just this past Saturday. I'll post an image or two from March so that you can get an idea of sharpness. If I get a chance I'll add a picture or two from this weekend later this evening.

Overall, it is a very serious lens and quite fankly a bargain at $1100 US.

Stephen

Last edited by SCGushue; 06-22-2008 at 04:28 PM.
09-17-2007, 01:50 PM   #6

Original Poster
SC,

Beautiful sharp pics of those ducks, excellent. I have now read over 5 pages of reviewers comments regarding the Sigma 100-300mm F4 and the verdict is....this will be my lens choice. As I have read from one reviewer, for the money you can't beat this lens - hands down! I am beginning to believe this.

Any thoughts of a decent place to purchase from?? Both B&H & Adorama are completely out of stock.

Also, I have this unit in mind for my tripod and mount; what do you think???

Bogen / Manfrotto 055XWNB Tripod Legs (Black) with 322RC2 Grip-Action Ballhead (Quick Release) - Supports 11 lbs (5 kg)

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Scout Pro; 09-17-2007 at 01:55 PM. Reason: 2nd thought to add.
09-17-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
Inactive Account

The tripod is excellent. I have the older 055 unpainted aluminum and it is a tank.

Both lenses are excellent for what they do. I have the Bigma, not the other one. I was tempted to buy the one youíre going to get, but for what I do, I need all the extra reach I could get.

Since you plan on taking this out into the field, have you considered a BushHawk shoulder mount? I have one and since you are a hunter, you should realize how steady you can get your camera. It also makes lugging a camera in the bush so much easier then a tripod. It canít replace a good solid tripod, but it is something to consider.

Here is their link.
BushHawk® Products
09-18-2007, 09:00 AM   #8

Original Poster
Chako,

Thanks for the tip on the Bushhawk, I will check it out. Also, give me your pros/cons on the "Bigma" I am still not ruling this guy out just yet. You say you need the reach, what is your application, etc.??

Thanks!