Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2010, 02:18 PM   #1

Focus problem on FA50mm

Hi,
Well I have just got my first dSLR, a K10d, and on it went my old lenses, a FA-50mm and a Sigma 28-200.
While playing with them, I noticed that the AF on the 28-200 is pretty fast and accurate, but I didn't get any AF on the FA-50mm - just a small movement, some noise and it freezes.

After a short check this is what I found out:
1 - Without changing any settings on the body, the 28-200 Autofocuses without a hitch, however there is a problem with FA-50mm. So I assume the problem is not related to body .

2 - On manual focus mode the FA-50mm does recognize when it is focused (I see the green hexagon lights up and a red square blinking). So the body focus recognition is okay.

3 - When I try to focus with FA-50mm there is a short noise, less than a second but the focus doesn't budge. It is the same behavior whether the lens is at infinity and I point it an object 1 meter away, or whether the lens is at 0.8 meter focus and I point it at the same object.

4 - I tried to clean contacts, using soft eraser, it didn't help. the Mechanics on the back seem fine (i.e. no damage visible).

5 - It seems to me that when I manual focus the FA-50mm the friction is much higher compared to the 28-200.

6 - the focus ring center-line on the FA-50 is not aligned with the lens center-line, i.e. The space between the focus ring and the ring below it is not-uniform, varying from 0.5mm to roughly 2mm.
see attached images.

So I think that the problem is the increased friction / misalignment, however my experience in dSLR is nil, and the last time i used my film SLR was something like 10 years ago...
So I would be glad to hear your ideas / thoughts - maybe it is a common problem with a simple solution... and whether I can fix it in home or do I need to get it to a service shop.

Thanks
Daniel

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
11-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It sounds like this lens was clocked right there on the focus ring, resulting in internal damage. Might have to send it in if you want the AF to work.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-08-2010, 07:07 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi,
I have sent the lens to a service shop, they identified the problem with a malfunctioning (broken?) worm-gear of the auto-focus.
The fee they want for the fix is ~170USD, is it reasonable?

Thanks
11-08-2010, 07:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by koraldon Quote
Hi,
I have sent the lens to a service shop, they identified the problem with a malfunctioning (broken?) worm-gear of the auto-focus.
The fee they want for the fix is ~170USD, is it reasonable?

Thanks
Up to you. A used one here in good condition is about US$300.