Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2010, 03:40 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
manual focus lens into AF?

Hello!

Who can tell me please what adapter can i use to transform my smc M 50 1.7 manual focus lens into an autofocus one?

thx!

11-02-2010, 03:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The Pentax 1.7x AF teleconverter should do a reasonable job. There's some info on it here:

About the Pentax-F 1.7X AF Adapter...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

There are others (Kenko?) I believe but I am not sure.
11-02-2010, 04:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

There's a way to turn almost all manual lenses into focus monsters. It's called Catch-In-Focus (CIF) aka Trap-Focus. Enable CIF by going to your Custom Menu and setting Catch-In-Focus to ON. Set the focus mode to AF.S. Use a K- or M-type lens, or an A-type with an M/A switch set to M, or a screwmount lens with a shiny base and an adapter. That's all you need.

To use CIF, aim at a subject and bring it into focus while holding the shutter down. The shutter will only SNAP when the subject comes into focus in the center of the frame. Or aim and focus at a spot where you expect the subject to be, and hold the shutter down. When the subject comes into focus, it SNAPs. Set the Drive Mode to CONTINUOUS, put the camera on a tripod, aim somewhere you expect action, use a remote to hold the shutter down, and when subjects come into focus it will SNAP and SNAP and SNAP. That's just the thing for shooting birds, bicyclists, burglars, etc.

What's nice about CIF it that it's free. No expensive adapters with IQ loss. Have fun!
11-02-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

RioRico,
That doesn't quite work. You need pure M manual mode. With that mode you get over and under focus with red lights in the view finder. Then a solid green hex confirmation when completely in focus. To know you have perfect focus you go one way until

11-02-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

the red light shows. Then go the opposite direction until the other red light shows. That's your focus area of creativity. You then Get the solid green hex. You move back and forth keeping the hex green and donLt get a red light. Then that's how you get
11-02-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Trog: The red light only shows where the point of focus is - it does not determine critical focus. As frustrating as it can be, that red dot is plain inaccurate. You are best of looking straight at the green hexagon, and looking for a SOLID green hexagon.
11-02-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

sharpest picture possible. Your way will snap a picture right before the red marks which aren't optimal focus points. Not even AF will take a pic there that's why you hear screw drive go back and forth.I have 20/13 vision so I see better than the magnifier
11-02-2010, 10:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Paperbag,
The red dot tells you your two focus points after perfect focus. Try for yourself. You will get two red confirmation beeps turning to the left and right directions after getting the green hex.

11-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The red dot is a warning for: 'focus in the other direction you have gone too far to get the green hex confrim.' The red dot does not mean focused the green hex at the bottom does. But you still have a little play after it show to focus a little more/less
11-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #10

Original Poster
thx guys, i will try 1st the RioRico method.
11-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by troglodyte Quote
RioRico,
That doesn't quite work. You need pure M manual mode.
CIF doesn't require M(anual). It works in any auto/manual mode. M(anual) just give you stop-down control with non-preset lenses. With a non-A-type lens mounted, the camera in any auto setting defaults to Av mode.

All CIF needs is 1) an AF lens (hold the lens-lock button down), or 2) any other PK-mount or similar lens (including some unmodified Nikons, and slightly modified NI's and OM's and C/Y's) with a conductive base, or 3) a screwmount lens (with adapter) with a base wide enough to hold a bit of metal tape to (safely) short the mount pins. Lenses with aperture presets, or those you wish to shoot wide-open, can use any mode. Lenses without aperture presets need M(anual) mode and the Green Button (or equivalent) for stop-down metering and shooting.

EDIT: Oops, I almost forgot -- using any manual lens requires that the Custom Menu setting for USING APERTURE RING must be ALLOWED. See the sticky on Using Manual Lenses that's atop the Beginner's Corner area.
11-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
CIF doesn't require M(anual). It works in any auto/manual mode. M(anual) just give you stop-down control with non-preset lenses. With a non-A-type lens mounted, the camera in any auto setting defaults to Av mode.

All CIF needs is 1) an AF lens (hold the lens-lock button down), or 2) any other PK-mount or similar lens (including some unmodified Nikons, and slightly modified NI's and OM's and C/Y's) with a conductive base, or 3) a screwmount lens (with adapter) with a base wide enough to hold a bit of metal tape to (safely) short the mount pins. Lenses with aperture presets, or those you wish to shoot wide-open, can use any mode. Lenses without aperture presets need M(anual) mode and the Green Button (or equivalent) for stop-down metering and shooting.

EDIT: Oops, I almost forgot -- using any manual lens requires that the Custom Menu setting for USING APERTURE RING must be ALLOWED. See the sticky on Using Manual Lenses that's atop the Beginner's Corner area.
RioRico: Thanks for the info. I will try it.
11-02-2010, 12:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

BTW ... why this shorting contacts business for CIF? I mean, is there some rational reason, or is this just a quirk?
11-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

RioRico,
I didn't say it needed manual mode it just has three issues:
1) It will take take the picture immediately which will introduce
2) Blur from your hands shaking and turning the focus ring
3) If the person moves you can't say 'are you ready'.
11-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Also I was talking about using AF.s and MF modes. The C mode is pure evil.