Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2010, 05:23 AM   #1

eldonk200d

I don't know much about about lenses but I have a few old A series from my old Pentax film cameras. I know these will work on my K200d.

But I would like to buy a non Pentax lens. But I have no idea what the all the acronyms mean. Also the lens I was thinking of buying I have no idea whether it will work on my camera.

The lens in question is the Tamron AF 28-75mm F2.8 XR Di LD IF Macro. I take it the AF means that it is an auto focus. But will it work on my K200d?

11-02-2010, 05:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have started four threads; three of them have the title "eldonk200d". Does all your creativity go into your photos and there is nothing left for thread titles?
11-02-2010, 05:34 AM   #3

As long as the version you are buying is with the Pentax K mount it will work as expected.
11-02-2010, 05:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EldonK200d Quote
I don't know much about about lenses but I have a few old A series from my old Pentax film cameras. I know these will work on my K200d.

But I would like to buy a non Pentax lens. But I have no idea what the all the acronyms mean. Also the lens I was thinking of buying I have no idea whether it will work on my camera.

The lens in question is the Tamron AF 28-75mm F2.8 XR Di LD IF Macro. I take it the AF means that it is an auto focus. But will it work on my K200d?
You need to know for this lens if it is in PK mount or not. Third party makers make lenses for all cameras.

As for the other letters

Di means full frame, if you see a tamron with Dii it is ASP-C. Either will work on a pentax DSLR but if you also have a film camera, go for Di lenses if you want to use them

LD means low dispersion elements, it is just advertising technology

IF means internal focusing, again technology,

I forget what RX stands for in tamron's nomenclature.

For Sigma, DC is the acronym for ASP-C and DG is full frame, Older sigmas carried neither DC or DG and are full frame, the difference between sigma lenses without DG and with DG is really that the Non DG lenses were originally developed for film, and DG lenses although full frame, have slightly different coatings, specifically related to the rear element to help with reflections off the sensor. In reality I have not seen this as an issue with the non DG sigmas I own.

other makers have different letters, for much the same thing

11-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

XR? Extra Refractive Index glass

http://www.tamron.co.jp/en/support/catalog/pdf/en_tamron_lens.pdf

H2

Wouldn't it be more efficient to refer this sort of query to the manufacturer's resources (and/or forum articles or FAQ list's when appropriate) where comprehensive and accurate info is readily available?