Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #31

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks axl for the very detailed and helpful response. Thanks everybody else for the helpful opinions on whether or not my opinions are worth anything

You're spot on as far as the sharpness of the 31 goes. It's really sharp when the object is close enough, within 2m range. From 2m to infinity, it softens up a bit (we're talking about large aperture f1.8 - f2.8).
Another issue with the DA 55 that keeps me from picking it as a candidate is the focal length. When I use the 50mm, I usually wish it was a bit wider so I didn't have to move away that further, I never wished it to be any longer (I already have the excellent FA 77mm for such occasion). I think the 43mm focal length is just perfect for my shooting, with the only drawback being that it starts at f1.9 and it's not as sharp at the A50/1.2 at lower focal length.
At this point I've pretty much decided that I'll probably buy both the Sigma 50mm/1.4 and the FA/F 1.7 and try them out to see which one I should keep (or none).

And I'm not planning on selling my A50/1.2 anytime soon

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Interesting debate (if we skip the credible opinion part)...

As owner of 31-43 and K50/1.2 and former owner of DA*55 and F50/1.7:
1 - I'd never say 43 is better in anything else than center sharpness than 31 (especially when compared to 50/1.2). 31 has OOF rendering very similar to that of 50/1.2 (closest from shorter focal lengths I've tried)
2 - I wouldn't say 31 is soft wide open. My copy is acceptable, and really sharp when shot at closer distances, going towards infinity it softens up a bit IMHO, but then I don't shoot 31 @1.8 @ infinity too often...
3 - DA*55 is slow to focus (on K10D) but not much slower (if at all) than 43ltd and still faster and (most of the time) more accurate than MF + you have constant MF override if you need it
4 - DA*55 is sharper than 50/1.2 (my copies) wide open
5 - 50/1.2 blows 55 out of water wide open in OOF rendering (but then I think the same when 50/1.2 vs 43 are compared, if you like 43's OOF you would like 55's IMO)
6 - DA*55 is a beast when compared to any other 50/55 (with possible exception of Canon 50/1.2)
7 - F50/1.7 is the fastest AFing lens I tried in K system to date, and very accurate at that
8 - F50/1.7 (and I expect it's cousin FA50/1.7) is very sharp right from f1.7 but stopped down the hexagonal OOF gets annoying (personal opinion, you may like it)
9 - OOF of 50/1.7 when stopped down below anything than f1.7 is not as good as 50/1.2 at any aperture

my 2p

---edit---

if you'll buy anything to replace that A50/1.2 of yours, please let me know. I'd be more than interested to replace my K50/1.2 with it's A series cousin.... thanks

11-03-2010, 02:26 PM   #32
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vtqanh Quote
Thanks axl for the very detailed and helpful response.
Very welcome..

QuoteQuote:
You're spot on as far as the sharpness of the 31 goes. It's really sharp when the object is close enough, within 2m range. From 2m to infinity, it softens up a bit (we're talking about large aperture f1.8 - f2.8).
This is exactly what I observed with mine, and the distances match... It's weird but I learned to live with it. For me 31 + 50/1.2 is great couple...

QuoteQuote:
Another issue with the DA 55 that keeps me from picking it as a candidate is the focal length. When I use the 50mm, I usually wish it was a bit wider so I didn't have to move away that further, I never wished it to be any longer (I already have the excellent FA 77mm for such occasion).
I understand this, for me 77 is tad long, I found out anything over 55 is very specialized lens for me, 55 is as long as I "see". 77 is portraits only, and it's a bit shame for me to keep 700 lens for one use only...

QuoteQuote:
I think the 43mm focal length is just perfect for my shooting, with the only drawback being that it starts at f1.9 and it's not as sharp at the A50/1.2 at lower focal length.
Again agree here. I found 43 to be terrific for everyday use, the focal length is spot on for just about everything. Kind of tight normal, love the FOV, and IQ is great too, my only thing with that lens is OOF. When you compare the same scene with 31 - 43 - 50 wide open you'll see what I mean, 43 is mile behind the other two....

have a look here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/117735-spot-difference.html
50 is not there but there are all three ltds and FA*24

QuoteQuote:
At this point I've pretty much decided that I'll probably buy both the Sigma 50mm/1.4 and the FA/F 1.7 and try them out to see which one I should keep (or none).
Weird choice if you ask me.... The Sigma is big, I mean really big compared to other 50s and I haven't heard much of good news about it. The OOF seems bit weird, but otherwise seems OK.

The FA/F50/1.7? That would be my first choice. I still regret selling my F50/1.7. It was one of the best lenses I have owned. Right up there with 50/1.2, and ltds.... The only thing was it's OOF when stopped down. If you are careful with that, it's one terrific lens to own! And half the size of Sigma...

QuoteQuote:
And I'm not planning on selling my A50/1.2 anytime soon
Damn! I was already looking forward to it

If you'll get both, do us a favor and do direct shoot out please.
Thanks!
11-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #33

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
This is exactly what I observed with mine, and the distances match... It's weird but I learned to live with it. For me 31 + 50/1.2 is great couple...
An expensive couple, that is

QuoteQuote:
Weird choice if you ask me.... The Sigma is big, I mean really big compared to other 50s and I haven't heard much of good news about it. The OOF seems bit weird, but otherwise seems OK.

The FA/F50/1.7? That would be my first choice. I still regret selling my F50/1.7. It was one of the best lenses I have owned. Right up there with 50/1.2, and ltds.... The only thing was it's OOF when stopped down. If you are careful with that, it's one terrific lens to own! And half the size of Sigma...
I've looked at the pics where the Sigma showed the onion rings bokeh and it really didn't bother me that much. The size and weight is indeed a factor, (it will be the heaviest and biggest lens in my setup if I get it), but I will have to see how much it bothers me. Too bad I don't have any shop around here that has it so I could feel it in my hands.
11-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #34
Site Supporter

I second Axl's experience regarding the F50/1.7, very fast AF and extremely accurate, along with being sharp right from f1.7. The only thing I didn't like was the manual focus mechanism, seemed very imprecise and definitely had that "budget" feel to it. But in direct comparison to an M50/1.7, the F50's AF was every bit as accurate as the M50's manual focus. Doesn't sound like the F50 quite fits your requirements though... (bokeh?) Never tried the FA 31 so I can't comment , but I think the FA 43 blows the F50 away.

11-06-2010, 12:31 AM   #35
Pentaxian

I wouldn't say 31 is soft wide open. My copy is acceptable, and really sharp when shot at closer distances, going towards infinity it softens up a bit IMHO, but then I don't shoot 31 @1.8 @ infinity too often
funny, I noticed this too. I have Used my SMCP 50mm f/1.2 at infinity with surprising results. It does remarkably well, and the "glow" from the 50mm f/1.2 is simply gorgeous. I know leica aficionados getting all caught up about the leica "glow"* The Pentax takumar lenses had a very pleasing glow effect, however it is rare to see it. Film seems to capture it better than digital sensors do. But the SMCP 50mm f/1.2 also has this beautiful effect in abundance.

*the Leica noctilux 50mm f/1.0 is famous for it, not to mention it's bipolar bokeh

Some examples of the "glow" effect below

Last edited by Digitalis; 05-20-2011 at 11:48 PM.
11-06-2010, 06:58 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nothing can replace the A 50mm f/1.2... especially with the stunning K-5, the realm of hand held available light photography has just been opened up for Pentax users.

A fellow Pentax user shot hand held under very dim street lighting at our Pentax Singapore user outing yesterday with the K-5 and A 50 mm f/1.2 (ISO 6400 1/50 sec at f/1.2).

11-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Nothing can replace the A 50mm f/1.2... especially with the stunning K-5, the realm of hand held available light photography has just been opened up for Pentax users.

A fellow Pentax user shot hand held under very dim street lighting at our Pentax Singapore user outing yesterday with the K-5 and A 50 mm f/1.2 (ISO 6400 1/50 sec at f/1.2).
the bokeh is just really nice.
11-06-2010, 03:04 PM   #38
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good post Creampuff. I often point out to folks that fast lenses can also be used at ISO 6400. Plus, many people forget that viewing is done with the lens wide open unless manual/stop down metering has do be done which means a brighter viewfinder which can be a big deal in low light.

11-06-2010, 07:02 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
the realm of hand held available light photography has just been opened up for Pentax users.
don't you mean available darkness?
11-07-2010, 07:23 AM   #40

I Love my Pentax SMC 50 1.7 AF lens. Its awesome. I have a two year old and it is my go to lens. got it dirt cheap at a yardsale too (4$)

heres a few of my pip squeek with the 50:

and hows this for moving subject, tack focus:

so while I love my manual focus lenses, this one earns the home on my camera because most of my subjects are Little ones
11-07-2010, 07:27 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
I second Axl's experience regarding the F50/1.7, very fast AF and extremely accurate, along with being sharp right from f1.7. The only thing I didn't like was the manual focus mechanism, seemed very imprecise and definitely had that "budget" feel to it. But in direct comparison to an M50/1.7, the F50's AF was every bit as accurate as the M50's manual focus. Doesn't sound like the F50 quite fits your requirements though... (bokeh?) Never tried the FA 31 so I can't comment , but I think the FA 43 blows the F50 away.
If I want manual focus, I dont use my 50 1.7. I agree that the MF mech seems very chincy, esp if used to using an oldie but goodie, but when I have this lens on my camera I am not looking for the manual focus option, I am using it specifically for the AF (aside from the fact that it is a very nice lens)

my only thing is that the lens is on the "cool" side. it was a bit to get used to with WB settings, but I am used to it now.
11-07-2010, 08:02 PM   #42
Site Supporter

CEWren, those shots look great! Nice work and what a cutie!
11-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
CEWren, those shots look great! Nice work and what a cutie!
thanks so much I have a fun time with her and my pentax. (my two kids) she is the perfect subject for practicing!
11-08-2010, 07:54 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Good post Creampuff. I often point out to folks that fast lenses can also be used at ISO 6400. Plus, many people forget that viewing is done with the lens wide open unless manual/stop down metering has do be done which means a brighter viewfinder which can be a big deal in low light.
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
don't you mean available darkness?
To be honest, the light was so bad we could barely make out each other's faces and manual focus had to be done very carefully. Now if only Pentax would come out with an AF version...