Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2010, 07:31 AM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,944
They're two entirely differently lenses, but if I were you, I'd go for the 70-200mm, which is more of a telephoto. The DA* is nice as a walkaround, but whenever I use it, I constantly find myself wishing for a longer reach. I don't have the Tamron, but I've used a Pentax 80-200mm, and greatly enjoyed that focal length on digital.

The 60-250mm is also a great lens, and I can recommend is as an alternative to the 70-200mm as it is quite sharp. If the slower aperture isn't a concern, definitely go for it!


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-03-2010, 09:23 AM   #17
Site Supporter
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,424
I've found that a heavier lens may help with stability, as it takes more energy to move it around.

Still, I use the 70-200 mostly on monopod if possible (bad shoulder...)
11-03-2010, 10:30 AM   #18
Junior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Denver, Colorado
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 32
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I've found that a heavier lens may help with stability, as it takes more energy to move it around.
I think Newton and Leibniz found it before you
11-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #19
Site Supporter
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,424
QuoteOriginally posted by shnikus Quote
I think Newton and Leibniz found it before you
Yes, they did. They're dead.



11-03-2010, 02:12 PM   #20
Veteran Member
Tommot1965's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,026
Original Poster
yes the thought about the DA 60-250 has crossed my mind, and there was a lens in the market place for sale in Aussie too! that I enquired about, but the seller has since rethought his decision too sell. pity as it was at a realistic price point , and at this stage the only lens I would consider used..

Im a little concerned about the F4 with this lens though, as I was indoors the other night at a High school graduation and found the F4 on the 16-45 not enough, even bumping the ISO to 3200 on the K7...and that's not a great ISO with that Body...so wished Id had a faster lens...I don't know how much extra shutter speed the 2.8 would have given me though..would have been nice to bump the ISO down a tad .

this whole lens buying problem seems to be filled with compromise...do I take a sigma 70-200 HSM II and have better AF speed with HSM but diminished IQ, or a Tamron 70-200 with better IQ and less speed in AF. or a used FA 80-200 and pay more for a very used example and hope and pray its everything people say they are...this has me wondering why Pentax don't offer a current model 70-200 2.8. as this combo seem to be very popular but its a massive whole in their lens line up.....but I digress...

everything that I read and seen concerning image quality from the 50-135 has made me want one, Id love the extra reach of a 200mm, I would give a right arm for a 2.8 extra speed and better DOF control.

I just wish that there was lens that had fantastic IQ, with the speed and the build quality I crave...would the new Sigma offering with onboard OS be the answer...quite a bit more loot though ...and yet I digress again..which isnt hard to do as I sure you all know..hence this bloody hard decision
11-03-2010, 03:03 PM   #21
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 120
I used to own both. I ended up selling the 50-135mm and returned the Tamron 70-200.
As far as IQ goes, it's a toss up. IMO, the color rendition from the 50-135mm is more attractive while the sharpness from the Tamron wins if you pixel-peep. The 50-135 is slower to focus, but is easier to handle than the Tamron. I did not think the size and weight of the Tamron would be that big of an issue until I started using it. I could take the 50-135 with me in my camera bag any day, but not the Tamron.

In the end I ended up selling the 50-135 since I wanted to move my setup completely to prime.
11-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #22
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
yes the thought about the DA 60-250 has crossed my mind, and there was a lens in the market place for sale in Aussie too! that I enquired about, but the seller has since rethought his decision too sell. pity as it was at a realistic price point , and at this stage the only lens I would consider used..

Im a little concerned about the F4 with this lens though, as I was indoors the other night at a High school graduation and found the F4 on the 16-45 not enough, even bumping the ISO to 3200 on the K7...and that's not a great ISO with that Body...so wished Id had a faster lens...I don't know how much extra shutter speed the 2.8 would have given me though..would have been nice to bump the ISO down a tad .

this whole lens buying problem seems to be filled with compromise...do I take a sigma 70-200 HSM II and have better AF speed with HSM but diminished IQ, or a Tamron 70-200 with better IQ and less speed in AF. or a used FA 80-200 and pay more for a very used example and hope and pray its everything people say they are...this has me wondering why Pentax don't offer a current model 70-200 2.8. as this combo seem to be very popular but its a massive whole in their lens line up.....but I digress...

everything that I read and seen concerning image quality from the 50-135 has made me want one, Id love the extra reach of a 200mm, I would give a right arm for a 2.8 extra speed and better DOF control.

I just wish that there was lens that had fantastic IQ, with the speed and the build quality I crave...would the new Sigma offering with onboard OS be the answer...quite a bit more loot though ...and yet I digress again..which isnt hard to do as I sure you all know..hence this bloody hard decision
The extra stop would allow you to go from ISO 3200 to ISO 1600 for the same exposure (but I get the feeling you knew that already). Without knowing what your price/pain point is, have you considered This lens (FA*80-200 f2.8)?

11-03-2010, 03:42 PM   #23
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
everything that I read and seen concerning image quality from the 50-135 has made me want one, Id love the extra reach of a 200mm, I would give a right arm for a 2.8 extra speed and better DOF control.
The other option is a DA*50-135 plus a DA*200. That's what I'm saving towards anyway, having already got my 50-135.

11-03-2010, 04:27 PM   #24
Site Supporter
NeverSatisfied's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 666
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
.....so the 50-135 would tack nicely along with that ...I also thought about perhaps a 1.4 teleconveter for the footy game scenario /

although that will diminish the lens IQ and speed , but a f4 lens in that example would be fine and the 1.5 tele will push the 135 to 200mm, but would the sdm work with a teleconverter ?
I wouldn't base any part of your decision to purchase one lens or the other, on possibly using a TC as well. I have the Tamron 1.4 TC, and focus lock using that on the DA*50-135 is very poor, hunts all over, very slow, sometimes never locks at all. However that TC does work (better) with the Tamron 70-200, but then you're talking what, a ~98-280/f4? And with a slight degradation of your IQ as well.

Yes, a bit off-topic but a point well taken- many of us do wish that Pentax would offer the "standard" 70-200/2.8 zoom; both the Tamron and the Sigma have their issues in which one must choose between "the lesser of two evils". And where oh where is the Pentax TC???
11-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #25
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,312
The choice of 50-135 vs 70-200 is a hard one. For my shooting I prefer the 70-200 But that is just me. Others will have different needs and wants. I find putting the focal length splits at 20 and 70 mm is more convient because I can leave the big heavy lens home when city bound. If I had the 50-135 and 16-50 I would take both plus my 10-20. As it is I just take the two shorter lenses because the Tammy can reach 75 mm. Again this is a personal selection
11-03-2010, 10:34 PM   #26
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brisneyland
Posts: 15
The 50-135mm IS Pentax's answer for the classic 70-200mm. Just in full frame.

I was in the same dilemma not long ago and eventually went with the Sigma HSM II. For what I shoot, accurate focus and speed is essential and both the Pentax and Tamron's AF feel like molasses next to Sigma's HSM. The Tamron also had a tendency to hunt a LOT in low light.

IQ wise, unless you heavily peep pixels or pore over MTF charts all day, you'll be hard pressed to notice a difference between the three.
11-04-2010, 03:45 AM   #27
Veteran Member
Tommot1965's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,026
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
The extra stop would allow you to go from ISO 3200 to ISO 1600 for the same exposure (but I get the feeling you knew that already). Without knowing what your price/pain point is, have you considered This lens (FA*80-200 f2.8)?

intresting reviews with some owners comparing the sigma 70-200 HSM II to the FA 70-200
11-04-2010, 03:54 AM   #28
Veteran Member
Tommot1965's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,026
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
I wouldn't base any part of your decision to purchase one lens or the other, on possibly using a TC as well. I have the Tamron 1.4 TC, and focus lock using that on the DA*50-135 is very poor, hunts all over, very slow, sometimes never locks at all. However that TC does work (better) with the Tamron 70-200, but then you're talking what, a ~98-280/f4? And with a slight degradation of your IQ as well.

Yes, a bit off-topic but a point well taken- many of us do wish that Pentax would offer the "standard" 70-200/2.8 zoom; both the Tamron and the Sigma have their issues in which one must choose between "the lesser of two evils". And where oh where is the Pentax TC???

thanks for the advice on the TC..that puts that idea out of the equation. ive only used TC's on manual lens and have never had experience with AF and TC...cheers
11-04-2010, 03:58 AM   #29
Veteran Member
Tommot1965's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,026
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MickB Quote
The 50-135mm IS Pentax's answer for the classic 70-200mm. Just in full frame.

I was in the same dilemma not long ago and eventually went with the Sigma HSM II. For what I shoot, accurate focus and speed is essential and both the Pentax and Tamron's AF feel like molasses next to Sigma's HSM. The Tamron also had a tendency to hunt a LOT in low light.

IQ wise, unless you heavily peep pixels or pore over MTF charts all day, you'll be hard pressed to notice a difference between the three.

Mick
any example pictures with your sigma wide open ?
11-04-2010, 07:44 AM   #30
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
intresting reviews with some owners comparing the sigma 70-200 HSM II to the FA 70-200
Especially comparing the price of the two. After using the FA*85 for a few weeks I've become quite biased but the least expensive I've seen the FA*80-200 is about $1300.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
da, da*, da* 50-135mm, im, iq, k-mount, lens, pentax lens, slr lens, tamron, world
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax 50-135mm or Tamron 70-200mm ? guillermovilas Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 41 10-03-2010 12:37 AM
DA* 50-135mm vs Tamron 70-200mm Comparison and Shootout heliphoto Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 35 04-09-2009 07:56 AM
Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 vs. Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 vs Pentax 50-135mm f/2.8 nah Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 27 12-08-2008 01:03 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:38 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top