Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
In M mode (K20/7/5) I have the rear e-dial set for shutter speed and the front for Aperture. With an K/M lens, the Optical preview will stop the lens down and I can adjust the aperture ring and shutter speed simultaneously while viewing the meter bar in the viewfinder. With an M42 lens it works the same way except the camera does not stop the lens down, you do (be sure M is set on the lens).

11-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kathyk Quote
I think one difference is how it would behave on the camera, metering. The K mount you would use the green button, for the SMC tak you'd probably use A and preset the lens to aperture you want, it would meter itself.
The best metering strategy for M42 lens depends a lot on what body you are using. For the K-7, K-x, K-r, and K-5, M-mode is your best choice for all non-A contact lenses. The reason being is that Pentax corrected previous issues for stop-down metering, but limited the correction to M-mode only. For previous generation cameras, Av mode is probably the easiest for use with M42 lenses, though the user should be prepared for gross meter inaccuracy (underexposure) at wider apertures when shooting with faster glass.

QuoteOriginally posted by kathyk Quote
Sounds interesting, I have to confess I'm not familiar with that procedure.
It is a cool technique and allows for easy exposure compensation similar to what is available on older film cameras with match-needle meter displays. I don't know if the feature is supported on all camera models, but on my K10D instead of hitting the green button in M-mode, you turn the power switch to the DOF preview position. That will display a scale in the viewfinder and on the top LCD showing the degree of over/under exposure.

I usually hit the green button first to get a baseline value and then use the DOF preview to fine tune.

Steve
11-07-2010, 05:18 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I usually hit the green button first to get a baseline value and then use the DOF preview to fine tune.

Steve
I do that on my K200D also, but when I hit the green button and then use the DOF preview the scale is always on "0" so I assume that the green button do itīs job right?
06-01-2011, 03:26 AM   #19

Dear All,

I have the Super Takumar 55 1.8 and now the K55 1.8 also.

I am planning to do a simple comparison/test between these two lenses and will post some pictures for comparison purposes soon.

First impression?
Both have smooth focusing
K is lighter
ST is brighter in all apertures and sharper wide open...

we'll have to confirm all of these again after the comparison/test.

Anything you want me to do for comparison's sake? (except dropping them both to check which build is better...)

06-01-2011, 08:10 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Optically, supposedly they are the same lens. When I had the K55, I never really did the 1 to 1 compare that I intended to do with it but did use both lenses in my 50mm shootout..

50mm Shootout

I also took a few normal photos with the K55 (probably the same time I did the shootout).

Pentax K55 f1.8 (borrowed) - a set on Flickr

and here are a few bokeh test type shots with the ST 55.

55mm f1.8 SMC Takumar - a set on Flickr

Anything that interests you would be a fine subject. Please though, no compare shots of brick walls. Let's see what you can Really do with the lenses.

06-01-2011, 08:25 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Basically, I'm asking what's the real difference (other than Mount type)? Can somebody who has or has had both, shed some light on one vs the other? I'm asking because I'm interested in the K55 (have the M42 55) but would like to hear real world feedback on the difference.

the biggest difference is already answered in your question.

SMC

the difference in flare resistance between super taks and SMC lenses is actually quite a lot, even though pentax coatings on the super taks is quite good (better than the competition at the time) pentax kept making them better.
06-01-2011, 01:35 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I got all that when I started this thread last year. I don't have either lens anymore but the thread is still good for those who actually use the search function. Thanks for pointing out the main difference between the two though.

06-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The latest version of the lens is literally identical except for the grip and mount: SMC/S-M-C/Super-/Auto-/Takumar 55mm F1.8 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Review Database
Thats what I always thought, but the early super takumars are not prone to yellowing, then you have the super taks, s-m-c taks, and the SMC taks, which do turn yellow because of the radioactive element.
The K mount 55mm does not turn yellow.
If they changed the glass type, the optical design is not the same, although probably very similar.
The early super tak's have no number on the A/M switch, the later yellowing type has.