Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K55mm f1.8 vs SMC Super Tak 55mm f1.8

Basically, I'm asking what's the real difference (other than Mount type)? Can somebody who has or has had both, shed some light on one vs the other? I'm asking because I'm interested in the K55 (have the M42 55) but would like to hear real world feedback on the difference.

11-03-2010, 01:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I've never used a Tak, but if you're really curious and want to spend $5 on shipping each way, you can borrow mine for as long as you need.
11-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

I believe there isn't any difference.
The K55/1.8 is the same optics and I believe the same SMC as SMC Tak. The outer shell is different and that's it IMHO....
This is not based on experience though but on web searches....
11-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The latest version of the lens is literally identical except for the grip and mount: SMC/S-M-C/Super-/Auto-/Takumar 55mm F1.8 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Review Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-03-2010, 09:44 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

The SMC coatings were improved when the K Series was releasd in 1975. The K55/1.8 also has a minimum aperature of f/22 the SMC Tak was f/16. The filter size is also different, 52mm to 49mm.

Phil.
11-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
The SMC coatings were improved when the K Series was releasd in 1975. The K55/1.8 also has a minimum aperature of f/22 the SMC Tak was f/16. The filter size is also different, 52mm to 49mm.

Phil.
I am pretty sure that the larger 52 mm filter size is matched by a somewhat larger diameter lens body in general. I own the K 55/1.8 and have handled the SMC 55/1.8 and that was my impression anyway.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-03-2010 at 10:23 PM.
11-04-2010, 05:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am pretty sure that the larger 52 mm filter size is matched by a somewhat larger diameter lens body in general. I own the K 55/1.8 and have handled the SMC 55/1.8 and that was my impression anyway.

Steve
Yes for sure, the K55/1.8 has a diameter of 63mm and the Tak55/1.8 is 57.7mm.
The K55/1.8 is also 1mm longer at 39mm.

Phil.
11-04-2010, 06:48 PM   #8

I think one difference is how it would behave on the camera, metering. The K mount you would use the green button, for the SMC tak you'd probably use A and preset the lens to aperture you want, it would meter itself.

Also, the taks seems just a bit smoother for focusing, though the K is also very nice to use.

Also, if it's the Super Takumar the coatings are not quite as good as the SMC or K, so double check if it's super takumar or SMC.

11-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I've never used a Tak, but if you're really curious and want to spend $5 on shipping each way, you can borrow mine for as long as you need.
K55/1.8 en route
11-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kathyk Quote
I think one difference is how it would behave on the camera, metering. The K mount you would use the green button, for the SMC tak you'd probably use A and preset the lens to aperture you want, it would meter itself.

Also, the taks seems just a bit smoother for focusing, though the K is also very nice to use.

Also, if it's the Super Takumar the coatings are not quite as good as the SMC or K, so double check if it's super takumar or SMC.
Actually, I barely ever touch the green button. For K/M type lenses, I activate the Optical Preview which activates the meter in the viewfinder and stops the lens down. From there I dial in the exposure I want.

11-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Actually, I barely ever touch the green button. For K/M type lenses, I activate the Optical Preview which activates the meter in the viewfinder and stops the lens down. From there I dial in the exposure I want.

Sounds interesting, I have to confess I'm not familiar with that procedure.
11-05-2010, 09:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

If this is what you do, the K55 will only be nice because it will remove the need for an adapter. The lenses are supposed to be optically identical.
11-05-2010, 09:33 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kathyk Quote
Sounds interesting, I have to confess I'm not familiar with that procedure.
I do it this way because the Green button just centers the exposure, just like the auto modes do for A type lenses. The result is, something is always too dark, or too bright. I know there is exposure compensation for those times but I still prefer when going manual, to adjust the meter where I want it to be.

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
If this is what you do, the K55 will only be nice because it will remove the need for an adapter. The lenses are supposed to be optically identical.
Never been a fan of using adapters. The M42 lenses also won't do stop down metering and I like having the lens wide open for focusing purposes. I know there are ways to use all lenses in any fashion desired but I've just grown to like the K/M lenses for manual shooting.

Another forum member who posted here has been kind enough to offer his copy for evaluation. I'm looking forward to doing a side by side on these two lenses and deciding if it's worth replacing the M42 with the K.

11-05-2010, 09:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good luck with your evaluation! At the prices these lenses go for, I think it would be worthwhile switching to the K 55 for the functionality (personal opinion!) I doubt there would be any good reason to own both.
11-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #15

Could you please tell how you do that and in which mode? Is it possible with M42 lenses to?