Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #1

Bought my first pentax lens, this is the one in this database right?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Here is what I bought: 70-210mm f3.5 Vivitar Series 1 Lens/Pentax Screw Mt M42 - eBay (item 360315502915 end time Nov-03-10 20:18:07 PDT)

Here is what I based it off of: Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/3.5 (version1) Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

This is the right lens right? I hope it works well being I wont have my camera to test it on until I decide between a K7 or K20D(Leaning towards this one)

11-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Yes, there are a couple variations but yours definitely one of them. I have the same lens, with the same M42 mount. Since it has M42 mount you need the M42 to Pentax K Adapter. Buy the original Pentax flange-less one otherwise you'd lose infinity focus.
11-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yeah I know I need to get that, the only place to buy that is on Pentaxs main website though right? In other words retail price, no deals...
11-03-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, your lens is the version 1 by Kiron (Kino Precision). See:
http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm

Steve

11-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Enjoy that fine lens.
11-03-2010, 10:26 PM   #6

Original Poster
Very glad that I did not mess up and buy the bad version(I was told after the 3rd model they were bad)

I will :-)! Thanks!
11-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

They're not bad after the third, they're just not as good.

You can sometimes find the genuine M42->K adapter for sale on the marketplace here, usually a good deal cheaper than new. Have a look before you spring for the new one.

11-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #8

Original Poster
Yeah this guy sold me on it actually: A Cheap Telezoom Gets Pro Results | Photography | StylePeterson

Such smooth bokeh effects.It will meter automatically in aperture mode right? On the K20D and K7?

I will go check out the market place also, thats a good idea...
11-04-2010, 04:46 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lulerfly Quote
It will meter automatically in aperture mode right? On the K20D and K7?
No it will not, sadly. It will work wide open in Av mode.

If you want to use it on a recent body, the best way to do so is to set the aperture on the rign of the lens, then enter full Manual mode, and press the green button while looking at your subject. The camera will then make an exposure measurement, which will remain valid as long as you keep the same illumination, ISO and aperture.

After the first "measurement", it's actually extremely fast to use such a lens, you have nothing to do except shoot.
11-04-2010, 08:46 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
No it will not, sadly. It will work wide open in Av mode.

If you want to use it on a recent body, the best way to do so is to set the aperture on the rign of the lens, then enter full Manual mode, and press the green button while looking at your subject. The camera will then make an exposure measurement, which will remain valid as long as you keep the same illumination, ISO and aperture.

After the first "measurement", it's actually extremely fast to use such a lens, you have nothing to do except shoot.
Thats as good as it gets I suspect though on Dslrs right? K mount work any different? Sounds like an easy enough thing to do in all reality though. Thanks for the info thus far guys/girls.
11-04-2010, 09:32 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thats as good as it gets I suspect though on Dslrs right? K mount work any different? Sounds like an easy enough thing to do in all reality though. Thanks for the info thus far guys/girls.
Yep, that's as good as it gets, but it ain't bad. If you change aperture in M mode just hit the green button again, same if the light changes (cloud to sun, sun to shade etc) but it is very quick. Hit green button you'll hear the mirror flip up and back and you're ready to shoot. Happens in about 1/4 a second. Of course if you don't change aperture or the light remains the same you don't even need the green button.

NaCl(it is much simpler to do than to write about it)H2O
11-04-2010, 09:36 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Yep, that's as good as it gets, but it ain't bad. If you change aperture in M mode just hit the green button again, same if the light changes (cloud to sun, sun to shade etc) but it is very quick. Hit green button you'll hear the mirror flip up and back and you're ready to shoot. Happens in about 1/4 a second. Of course if you don't change aperture or the light remains the same you don't even need the green button.

NaCl(it is much simpler to do than to write about it)H2O
Still seems a load better then having nothing like on my D40X, although I has become 2nd nature to know by now what exposure to use, but sill this is a nice feature....

Thanks!!
11-04-2010, 09:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K mount work any different?
In a nutshell: K-mount lenses without the A position, such as the Pentax-M series, work with M mode green button metering with the convenience of automatically (and briefly) using the aperture selected on the ring for metering and exposure, while keeping it fully open otherwise (for focusing and composing). With M42 lenses one must take care of this manually. Having an A/M switch (or preset aperture ring) makes this more convenient.
11-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #14

Original Poster
Ah I see, well either or not much of a big deal I would say, this adapter, could I keep it on this lens so that I just put the lens like a regular k mount lens or is that impossible?
11-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah I see, well either or not much of a big deal I would say, this adapter, could I keep it on this lens so that I just put the lens like a regular k mount lens or is that impossible?
You can take the spring out of the adapter, and use thread lock to keep the adapter on the lens, but then the only thing holding the lens to the camera is friction.