Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
Inactive Account

a dillema (DA* 16-50)

so, I want to buy a DA* 16-50
now, the dealer here informed me that they have one they used a couple of time for show and that they are willing to sell it to me for 23 % less than the new one but with only 8 month of guarantee left. They vouch they had no problems and they have a high reputation among Pentax users in my country
What do you think about the deal, would you take it?

11-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #2

NO. There is no reason that they can't give you full warrantee for the lens. This lens must have been bought by a previous user. Not just shown a couple of times.

What price are they asking for it? Here in Canada, you can get it for $750 CDN (newegg.ca)
11-04-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Something very fishy is going on. Sounds like they are selling you a 2nd hand lens not a new one.
11-04-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Babbs Quote
NO. There is no reason that they can't give you full warrantee for the lens. This lens must have been bought by a previous user. Not just shown a couple of times.

What price are they asking for it? Here in Canada, you can get it for $750 CDN (newegg.ca)
DAMN thats cheap
Here, a new one cost an equivalent of 1200+ CDN and they are asking for this one 970
I guess taxes and customs make a nice discrepancy

11-04-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Something very fishy is going on. Sounds like they are selling you a 2nd hand lens not a new one.
ok, suppose they to.. would the reduction in price be worth it?
11-04-2010, 06:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
ok, suppose they to.. would the reduction in price be worth it?
23% off a good price (eg B&H or adorama) then maybe it is a good deal (be sure to test it out though, any squeaking or mis focussing then don't touch it), at 23% of RRP then no.
11-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
would the reduction in price be worth it?
I think so.

If a lens is in good condition from a trustworthy seller (not stolen goods), and the price is 75% of new, I'll buy it. This is with no warranty.

The only lenses I bought new are Tamron 18-250, Sigma 18-50, and Pentax FE 10-17. All other lenses were bought used that way.

11-04-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
If a lens is in good condition from a trustworthy seller (not stolen goods), and the price is 75% of new, I'll buy it. This is with no warranty.
its from a firm that's the main Pentax representative here in Croatia
my experience with them was that they were always fair ... they always sell a few lenses like this per year (they use em at mayor photo trade shows)
they also offered to test the sample with my k20d before I buy it
11-05-2010, 01:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If the lens seems to be in good condition and seems to work fine on your camera then given the conditions you mentioned (trustworthy official seller, 23% discount, 8 months warranty) I think it's safe to buy it. Maybe you can try to convince them to give 25% discount.

Ps: comparing european prices to north american ones is meaningless due to the customs and much higher tax. You mentioned ~970 CAD, that's a good price here.
11-08-2010, 01:46 PM   #10

Do they have any extra they would like to sell?
11-08-2010, 05:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This lens has had quite a few quality control issues (front- back- focusing, etc). So getting it from a local shop with a warranty is the right way, I think. If this is the best price+service you can get around you, I would say go for it.